AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- The system is operational today for beta testers. Reports say the initial impressions are very good.

- As mentioned in yesterday's press release, VOOM.com is up, but is very limited in what can be accessed compared to our little preview a few days ago.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
- The system is operational today for beta testers. Reports say the initial impressions are very good.
I read on another board that all beta testers were from inside Rainbow. Would they report otherwise?

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
I called my local Sears today and they were clueless. They said they got a flyer a while ago but they knew nothing else. I knew more than they did. I said Id call back in week to see if they had any update.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Are the Beta Testers are VOom employees? Did they have to sign a NDA?

Can any of them comment on how it looks?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
To all VOOM beta testers...... please post your input on the new dbs service.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My Sears store knew about it, but said they wouldn't have it set up until mid-late October.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Well I called another local sears and they are now taking orders. Sears pre charged me a total of $54.

I was told I would get a call from Voom direct within 48 hours. They will send someone for a site check and to schedule the installation and collect payment.

It looks like Sears is just the middle man.

The salesmen at Sears said his brother in law was getting his installed next week.

If your city has multiple Sears locations and you have bad luck like I did with the first store try contacting another Sears.

·
Registered
250 Posts
WOW - That's good news to know it's actually happening.

I'm ready to go with dish-network's new HDTV gear or with VOOM.

Will be very interested to hear how it goes.

Geoffrey

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, my link did not work, so here is a portion of the story from the MSN website.

THE INTERNATIONAL venture said in a statement that the Sea Launch Zenit-3SL rocket lifted off at 12:03 a.m. ET Wednesday from its launch platform in the equatorial Pacific Ocean, sending the Galaxy 13/Horizons-1 satellite into orbit.

The satellite, owned by Connecticut-based PanAmSat, is to provide a home for the first grouping, or “neighborhood,†of high-definition TV programs in the United States.

Creating the neighborhood will encourage cable systems to set aside more capacity for high-definition programing, said Tom Watts, a satellite analyst with SG Cowen.

The satellite would serve content providers who could ultimately provide HDTV programs to as many as 50 million households, PanAmSat officials said.

The company, which owns 25 satellites, hopes to tap into what is expected to be a rapid growth in high-definition television, which enhances picture resolution.

Watts said it’s important to have a neighborhood of high-definition providers so that a cable operator can use one dish to pull all the programs down. But the key question is how fast demand will ramp up to fill the satellite with programming.

PanAmSat said its customers include HBO, Turner Broadcasting and Charter Communications. The satellite is expected to begin operating by January.

Sea Launch is controlled by Chigago-based Boeing Co. and partly owned by Norwegian construction and engineering group Aker Kvaerner, Russia’s RSC Energia and Ukraine’s SDO Yuzhnoye/PO Yuzhmash.

“This 10th successful launch is a major milestone for Sea Launch,†Jim Maser, president and general manager of Sea Launch, said in a written statement. “We can only go forward from here. In fact, we are already preparing for our next mission in November.â€

J-dubb

·
Registered
263 Posts
J-dubb:

Very interesting. I did not realize that capacity for delivering HD was a problem/issue for most cable companies related to having a "neighborhood of high definition providers" sending signals from one satellite. I thought the problem, if there is one, comes from the capacity of the cables running from my house to the local cable company headquarters where they have their monster satellite dishes. If they (Cox in this case) are going to provide 200 channels of mostly home shopping, plus phone service and high speed internet, then there is limited room for HDTV. Maybe someone out there could explain a bit more about this development.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Jdubb,

It has nothing to do with either; it has nothing to do with VOOM, nor is it competition.

PanAmSat leases capacity on satellites like Galaxy 13 to the media companies like ESPN, HBO, and Showtime, which then use that capacity to distribute their SD and HD feeds to cable companies and satellites providers using big dishes. These are also the same type satellites that the networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX use to distribute their feeds to the local broadcast affiliates around the country.

·
Registered
101 Posts
All,

I stopped by the local Sears yesterday (10-01-03) and spoke to the only salesperson on the floor. He knew of the program and told me they were only waiting for their ird (the antenna had been installed). It's supposed to be in this week. He had no printed information to hand out ... he did however give me a Voom flyer explaining the service (and offering sales tips) and spiffs a Sears employee could earn selling the service.

Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The info I received was not from a VOOM employee, but a business partner of theirs.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
"It looks like Sears is just the middle man."

Yes, the salesperson at my local Sears told me that for the new service, one would go to the store to purchase, but would only receive a "certificate", (receipt) which would show proof of purchase when the installer arrives with all the hardware to install. Obviously they do not want any DIY installs!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Has anyone registered on the web site yet AND been contacted by anyone at VOOM?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Will take a long 'wait and see' attitude.....

I have 3 directions from which to receive network HD programming plus have had Directv for several years now. At present I get all the HD programming available. A new product is coming to the market (Voom) and I will take a look but that is all I shall do for many months. I have 3 separate dishes (24 inch) looking at 3 Directv satellites and am very pleased. To me HD is very nice but, with me, programming is everything. I even watch old reruns of Gunsmoke in black and white! Many newer programs done in HD are not much as far as I am concerned. But, then again, I am a person who gets out his old collection of 33 rpm records and enjoy them at times! Happy viewing and listening.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Registered 3 days ago but have heard nothing!! Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

Cheers,

Geoffrey

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Seems some people are signing up before they actually know what they are going to be viewing. 'Show us the new HD programming, first; then I will buy, perhaps." Wondering just where this new HD programming is going to come from, over and above what the networks, Dish, and Directv are offering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.