AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Jeroen's recommendation I picked up the R2J of "Tokyo Marigold" starring Rena Tanaka. It is a different kind of love story, a take on infidelity with a twist that I haven't seen in a film before (but have seen oh so often in real life). The story segment below should be considered lightly spoilerish.

Eriko is a lonely office worker in Tokyo. She's never really had much luck in dating, but one night a friend invites her to a singles party with a group of young men from a big corporation. At the end of the night Tamura, the oldest of the group, offers her his phone number. After going out on a date with him, she asks if he has someone in his life and is taken off guard to find out that his girlfriend is studying in San Francisco. As one thing leads to another she ends up asking him to be her boyfriend just until his girlfriend returns to Japan.

I found this film very good, and realistic in a lot of ways. It is a nice look at Japanese culture as well, albeit in a slightly twisted sort of way.

The English subtitles on this disc were not perfect, but not horrible either. There were easy-to-overlook spelling and grammatical mistakes relatively often, but there are also some mistranslations and typos. Some of the mistranslations, such as "tangerine" when a character was actually talking about mandarin oranges are not important to the overall story, but others were a little more annoying. At one point a subtitle reads "can" when it is plainly obvious that she is saying "can't", I will chalk that one up as a typo. The titles are timed very well though and easy to read for a native English speaker, with a little connecting the dots or some Japanese listening skills the movie is easy to understand.

According to the package the disc is presented in DD mono, I did not listen to this on a surround sound system, so I can't confirm that but I suspect that if the movie had been encoded in surround sound it would not have changed much of the sound placement with the exception of some music cues.

At ¥3990 this is a relatively cheap Japanese DVD. If you are interested in Japanese culture or have an interest in the themes of loneliness and infidelity you should check out this film. It is not as stylized as some films in this same genre, but has some good performances and is well directed and written.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I watched this on my portable DVD player (7" widescreen I believe it is) so I didn't get to check out PQ or get as in to the movie as I would have at home. I'm looking forward to checking it out again though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.