John Krasinski is back as Tom Clancy’s iconic CIA analyst in Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan Season Two, which follows the wildly popular character as he uncovers a far-reaching conspiracy. Ralph Potts reviews the Blu-ray release from Paramount Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2019
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 368 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.00:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: John Krasinski, Noomi Rapace, Wendell Pierce, Michael Kelly, Tom Wlaschiha, Jordi Molla, Christina Umana, Jovan Adepo
Directed by: Various
Music by: Ramin Djawadi
Written by: Carlton Cuse, Graham Roland
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 4, 2020

"The Boy Scout is Back"

Synopsis:

“John Krasinski is back as Tom Clancy’s iconic CIA analyst in Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan Season Two, which follows the wildly popular character as he uncovers a far-reaching conspiracy.” – Paramount Home Entertainment

My Take:

In the second season of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, after tracking a potentially suspicious shipment of illegal arms in the Venezuelan jungle, CIA Officer Jack Ryan, portrayed by John Krasinski, heads down to South America to investigate. As Jack's investigation threatens to uncover a far-reaching conspiracy, the President of Venezuela launches a counter-attack that hits home for Jack, leading him and his fellow operatives on a global mission spanning the United States, UK, Russia, and Venezuela to unravel the President's nefarious plot and bring stability to a country on the brink of chaos.

I haven’t read any of author Tom Clancy’s books that feature the character of Jack Ryan. That hasn’t stopped me from enjoying the various films and actors that have portrayed him over the years. Jack Ryan is an Amazon Original series where the former U.S. Marine is featured in an episodic series for the first time, with John Krasinski portraying Ryan as an up-and-coming CIA analyst. In season one Jack is thrust into a dangerous field assignment for the first time and uncovers a pattern in terrorist communication. That launches him into the middle of a dangerous gambit with a new breed of terrorism that threatens destruction on a global scale.

I enjoyed season one and the handling of both the character and storyline development which left ample room for growth on both fronts. Season two brings more of the same as Jack becomes embroiled in large scale conspiracy that has the potential for ramifications on a global scale. For Jack, this investigation is also personal which, over the course of the season, sees him uncharacteristically push the envelope. There are several supporting subplots and ancillary characters that underscore the season’s thematic impact.

I watched Jack Ryan’s second season when it become available on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed but, at the time felt like I enjoyed season one just a bit more. I sat down with season two again on Blu-ray and wound up enjoying it more. The writing is excellent and the portrayal of Ryan and Greer by Krasinski and Wendell Pierce are truly engaging. This season’s guest stars in Michael Kelly, Jordi Molla, Jovan Adepo and Christina Umana added a tangible element to the proceedings. I am a Noomi Rapace fan. I was glad she was a part of the cast but, I didn’t find that her character played enough of a significant role in the story for her to truly show off her chops.

Jack Ryan Season Two delivered the goods, giving fans another solid round of espionage, drama, thrills and entertaining performances. I look forward for the next installment!

Here is Season Two’s episode listing:
  • Cargo
  • Tertia Optio
  • Orinoco
  • Dressed to Kill
  • Blue Gold
  • Persona Non Grata
  • Dids Y Federacion
  • Strongman

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The series contains thematic material, language, and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
Dolby Atmos Rating: 88

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Jack Ryan Season Two comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This 2.00:1 framed video presentation offers appreciable high definition resolution that has a satisfying glossy aesthetic. Images are stable and sharp with plenty of discernible texture and revealing fine detail during close-ups. Blacks are deep while exhibiting appreciable dynamic range with stable yet slightly elevated contrast that never infringes upon fidelity. Colors are snappy and bright and sullen and muted where appropriate. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast.

The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack keeps pace with the video and is quite good. Dynamics are robust and highs are crisp without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with defining tonal expression and room penetrating depth through the center channel. The front soundstage is diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the entire surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving surround mix containing a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides an appreciably tight, and punchy low end.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the moderately active variety that makes steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix of atmospherics, music and discrete sound effects. This is done very well and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The mix effectively places effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the feeling of immersion. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere combined with discrete object placement. I think that it complimented the source material and made the experience of watching the show a bit more fun.

Bonus Features:
  • Deleted Scenes on Select Episodes

Final Thoughts:

Jack Ryan Season Two brings the iconic character back for another engaging round of thrills and solid performances from its cast. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, rewarding lossless surround sound, including a complimentary Dolby Atmos immersive sound mix and, a barebones supplemental offering. If you’re a fan and what to own it on Blu-ray Jack Ryan Season Two is worth picking up.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems