AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has the time come for TC to step down as extreme action hero?
He's known for doing his own wild stunts... and got hurt during filming of Mission Impossibe 6 (delaying production)
Mission Impossible 7 and 8 are coming
He is insanely fit and has extreme reflexes for his age... but has the time come for him to step back and become leader of the MI team and let younger men do the extreme action?
I'd hate to see him get really hurt or worse
What do you think?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Well it's just unbelievable to me that Tom Cruise is 58. He was and is a great movie star, excellent action movie guy and overall a great actor. Quirky yeah with Scientology thing but still one of my favorite actors throughout my life.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
We are talking about the movies here. It is all a illusion. One can make a 70 year old look like a 50 year old. Others can do his stunts. The main factor is sales. As long as his action movies make lots of money Cruise is a action hero...

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
^ Agree

With the possible exception of Spader(?), most of the late boomer / early Gen-X type actors (like Cruise, Depp, Reeves, Smith, Craig, Foxx, Carrey, Cage, Downey Jr, Lowe, Cusack, etc.) are still in pretty good fighting shape. As long as people will stay pay (and they can find good hair pieces to fill in some of the gaps), why stop?

Hard to believe that D. Craig is actually one of the babies of the bunch at only 52!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Well he is planning to go to space now...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Paul Newman, Steve McQueen (cancer traced to asbestos exposure), Burt Reynolds, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, etc. handled aging and some stunts well. Stay fit, stay active...and only do stunts within reason.

"Burt Reynolds was famous for doing his own stunts, but he told us about one he wished he'd never attempted"

"I went over the falls in 'Deliverance' and I hit a rock and cracked my tailbone," Reynolds said. "I tell everyone I was a 31-year-old guy in great shape before I went over the falls. And once I got in they couldn't find me. I remembered one of the stunt guys said to me before the stunt, 'If you get caught in the hydrofoil and you can't get out, go to the bottom and it will shoot you right out,' but he didn't tell me it was like being shot out of a torpedo. I came out of the river about a mile away it seemed like, and I came out with no clothes. I had no shoes, socks — the falls tore them off. It was a pretty hairy stunt."
https://www.businessinsider.com/burt-reynolds-famous-for-doing-own-stunts-but-regretted-one-2018-9#:~:text=Known for being an actor,he regretted doing the most.
R.I.P. Paul, Steve, and Burt.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
No one else can take over. He's the last true movie star left.

They were planning to have Jeremy Renner take over the Bourne and MI franchises and had him in big roles in both, even a Bourne film lead, that didn't work out at all.

Stallone/Arnie still did action films in their 60s. And both of them actually look their age.

The current gen of actors in their 40s and younger has no true action movie leads. People like Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, Robert Pattinson aren't exactly the type.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
No one else can take over. He's the last true movie star left.

They were planning to have Jeremy Renner take over the Bourne and MI franchises and had him in big roles in both, even a Bourne film lead, that didn't work out at all.
The Bourne Legacy starring Jeremy Renner.
Budget $125 million
Box Office $276.1 million
Defcon said:
Stallone/Arnie still did action films in their 60s. And both of them actually look their age.
Stallone did Rambo: Last Blood which is a action movie last year at age 72.
Some of these folks age well..like Clint Eastwood. afaik he looked like 50 something when he was 70 years old.
Harrison Ford did not look old at all in Blade Runner 2049 at age 74.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Thats sad but he had alot of g00d movies....... (I only saw one though)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
The current gen of actors in their 40s and younger has no true action movie leads. People like Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, Robert Pattinson aren't exactly the type.
Umm, Chris Pratt , Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jason Momoa, Sam Heughan..........

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Umm, Chris Pratt , Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jason Momoa, Sam Heughan..........
Chris Pratt is extremely limited as an actor - its a real shame he's now such a big star and all he can do and does do is play the frat boy.

Momoa only does the big hunk. He's TheRock Lite.

Hiddleston is a good actor. He's happy with his MCU paycheck and hasn't really tried to branch out. He was good in The Night Manager.

Heughan - what has he done besides Outlander?

Sorry none of these are even remotely in same league as an A lister from the 90s/2000s.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Chris Pratt is extremely limited as an actor - its a real shame he's now such a big star and all he can do and does do is play the frat boy.

Are you implying the Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc. were all versatile actors and not just big hunks of muscle?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts

Hiddleston is a good actor. He's happy with his MCU paycheck and hasn't really tried to branch out. He was good in The Night Manager.

Heughan - what has he done besides Outlander?

Sorry none of these are even remotely in same league as an A lister from the 90s/2000s.
I beg to differ on Chris Pratt, did you see "Passengers", he was excellent. Showed a lot of range.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Well it's just unbelievable to me that Tom Cruise is 58. He was and is a great movie star, excellent action movie guy and overall a great actor. Quirky yeah with Scientology thing but still one of my favorite actors throughout my life.

"Quirky" is certainly a polite way to describe scientology.. imo .. more like cult:).. but i don't hold it against Cruise .. it just shows how lost some people get.. even those that get all the breaks..

Reactions: Jive Turkey

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
who???.. jmo... my point being that the stars of the 80's were household names not niche guys.. Stallone , Cruise , Arnie, Bruce Willis , Harrison Ford.. all poop on the current crop of "stars".. edit: granted it was a different era.. nowadays everybody on facebook or youtube *thinks* they are a star and (some of )the media covers it that way .. so talented folks suffer the "water down effect"....

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Are you implying the Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc. were all versatile actors and not just big hunks of muscle?
do you actually watch movies ?.. you can question individuals on that list , but including Stallone in that list raises serious doubt.. Rocky (100% his creation) is a timeless piece of artwork , copland , fist and the original rambo are great movies that showcase his talent..

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
No one considers them proper actors. Not sure what your point is. But Stallone is not just brainless hunk, he has done quite a few good roles. Another one who's famous for brawn but is a good actor is Vin Diesel.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
"Quirky" is certainly a polite way to describe scientology.. imo .. more like cult:).. but i don't hold it against Cruise .. it just shows how lost some people get.. even those that get all the breaks..
Yeah I was just talking personality, not Scientology. That is a whole other thing.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
No one considers them proper actors. Not sure what your point is. But Stallone is not just brainless hunk, he has done quite a few good roles. Another one who's famous for brawn but is a good actor is Vin Diesel.
my point is exactly what i said :Stallone doesn't belong anywhere near a list of "brainless hunk actors".. take it anyway you want.. his body of work is it's own proof..btw , i agree wlth Vin Diesel.. and another good action actor that gets little credit for his acting skills Duane Johnson... way above the current crop in talent...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts