AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Release your mind, relax and float downstream" - or something like that. I obviously can't predict the future. My instincts are good, but my timing often stinks! Case in point -

I bought a LT150 and then the price dropped out of sight!

I bought an ISCO II and then the price dropped out of sight!

I bought a Panamorph and then the product dropped out of sight!

There's a lesson here for me. How about - patience is a virtue or fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

There is a lesson here for you too! Don't believe the hype surrounding new product release. Sure some of the new products are great, but hold on here. Seleco is claiming a "dramatic" improvement to their light engine blah, blah, blah and so on. How do those who own there last effort feel? Lots of hype about the new Sharp and there will be lots about the new Marantz as well. Just remember there was lots of hype about the Seleco and Dwin eight or nine months ago! These are all but forgotten products today that will sell on the used market for a fraction of what was paid for them new - and we're not even talking a year old! Remember the claims about CRT blacks and the Dwin! This is probably a great time to buy one of these projectors from someone who "needs" the latest and greatest. Do you really think the latest incarnations will be that much better - I don't! Next year the claims will be exactly the same - dramatic improvement - latest breakthrough and so on. Subtle improvements probably - some may actually be worse! There is a sticking point with technology - the introduction being the breakthrough and then year to year tweaking. Am I being a little too cynical here?

Sooner or later someone is going to admit that these "new" projectors produce a better image with a HTPC etc. and you're into more expense. Read the posts on this section carefully - I have seen different opinions about the Sharp's internal processing - be careful. At least check out the hype for yourself!

I have been living with 16:9 with the ISCO II and I do see an improvement, but not a slap in the face one. I am going to take my time on my next projector purchase. I sort of doubt I will ever buy a HT projector again unless it's an exceptional value.

The preceeding was for cathartic purposes only - don't believe a word of it!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Smyth
I sort of doubt I will ever buy a HT projector again unless it's an exceptional value.

Well I have to say I'm very happy with your projector purchases so far. As a direct result of reading your posts on this forum I bought the LT150. I've never seen a DLP projector but I thought 'what the heck' lets try it. I sat it on my sofa underneath my Barco BG808, plugged my HTPC into it and switched it on. Nothing! Well that was entertaining, I stood looking at it thinking the bulb must have bust during shipping. So I wandered round looking for the shipping invoice to check if it was insured. When I went back into my theatre there was a blue background on the screen. Told you I hadn't seen a DLP projector before, I had no idea you had to wait for the bulb to get to full brightness! Right, so how to get a picture from the HTPC (I was never one to bother reading the manual). Menu, select RGB easy enough. There we go, I was playing TWINE, picture looked a bit washed out, so a bit of fiddling with the colours on the HTPC and hey presto what a picture. Very impressive, I sat there thinking, 'so that's what a halo is' big deal, 'gray blacks' big deal. I must be easy to please because I thought this little projector was fabulous, okay it can't match the Barco but it's close enough that I'm starting to think of retiring the CRT. So Grant, thank you very much for all the effort you have put in on this forum sharing your experience with this projector. All I need now is one of those Da-Lite hight power screens and I can come into the house out of the coal shed, errr... I mean theatre:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find that there are 3 types of people...

1 - People who buy the latest technology.

2 - People who are one step behind the latest technology.

3 - People who are always waiting for the latest technology to get cheaper.

The first type has the best but suffers large depreciation.

The second type saves money but never has the best.

The third type is agonized by a never ending cycle and never gets to enjoy the technology.

At least your are not a type 3.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John - very funny! ;)

Guess what? Apparently Runco has a new 16:9 DLP which I hope to see in a couple of weeks and it is priced significantly under the over HT projectors on the Canadian market! This should be interesting.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
363 Posts
Grant I have a hard time believing Runco has anything priced under anything, on any market :D

Miles

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well Grant - buying electronics is always a no win scenario.

I have been continually frustrated with the rapid cycle of PC obsolence. You buy a PC at x dollars and 6 months down the road it's yesterday's door stop!

I have adopted the second philosophy that video-ho has listed.

Things change so quickly that waiting 6 months to a year does allow you some good bargains. I was extremely fortunate to get in on the NEC LT150 bargain as I had almost committed to buying one locally at $5000 Cdn price.

Once in a while you get lucky - but you must have patience!

I'm good with the LT150 for a couple of years until the next big thing comes through.

It will have to self contained and not require accessories like the Panamorph or ISCO.

Now - I'm patiently waiting for bulb prices to fall.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Grant,

Life is short. An improvement, even if only subtle, is sometimes good enough for me. Two months ago I decided that I had sunk enough money in my HT for the year. I decided to sit back and enjoy the LT150/RP91 combo and put the HTPC on the backburner. Who was I fooling. With SDI modded players, SDI cards, TheaterTek DVD player on the horizon, I have changed my mind and the HTPC is on the way (just about). By the way Grant, as soon as you get a chance to see that Runco, please post your findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.