AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of seeing this while I'm in the Denver area for a few days later this month but it looks like nobody is going to be showing it in 3D? Its listed as Imax 3D. Is Disney now limiting which theaters get 3D? It looks like only a handful of Imax's in the U.S will have the 3D version?

·
Registered
880 Posts
IMAX listing is wrong. The film isn't a 3D release. . . . At least domestically, but who knows for China.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
fanadango lists it as IMAX or digital 3d

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been wondering what gives with this release as well. I saw the trailer for this in 3D in front of Big Hero Six, along with the Spongebob 3D trailer and the "Feast" short. I recall all very distinctly and even commented to the missus on the 3D quality of both trailers (Spongebob trailer was better for 3D but Tomorrowland was impressive also).

There seem to be quite a few references online that this was going to be 3D as well, though I'm not seeing anything official from Disney themselves at this point. So genuinely wondering what happened. Can only hope to be able to import at some point if there is indeed a 3D copy.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Despite what Fandango has to say, the marketing materials all say "Experience it in IMAX" without reference to 3D, either IMAX or RealD.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Despite what Fandango has to say, the marketing materials all say "Experience it in IMAX" without reference to 3D, either IMAX or RealD.
I can't dispute what current marketing materials say, or say with any certainty whether a domestic 3D release was intended at some point in time or not. But I do know at minimum a trailer for the film was shown in 3D; saw it with me own eyes.

Perhaps 3D was planned at some point and then Disney pulled the plug prior to the film's completion. Or perhaps they'll release internationally, or China, in 3D. I can only speculate for now. Regardless it does appear this will be strictly 2D here in the States.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
the trailer is not 3D.

you can simply remove your glasses and see the trailer is just normal. that is how i witnessed it at imax 3D when i watched age of ultron. although it was said add your 3D glasses before the trailers, the trailer it self was simply 2D.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the trailer is not 3D.

you can simply remove your glasses and see the trailer is just normal. that is how i witnessed it at imax 3D when i watched age of ultron. although it was said add your 3D glasses before the trailers, the trailer it self was simply 2D.
Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me then. Been working with steroscopic photography and video for a long time so my eyes are well trained as to 3D vs. 2D, and could of sworn the trailer was shown in true 3D in front of Big Hero 6. Maybe I'm just remembering it the way I wish it was, as several shots in the newest trailers look like they could really have benefitted from well-done stereoscopy.

Ah well, at least there are quite a few other high-profile 3D releases this year. Sadly, local cinemas in my area give short shrift to 3D and use lowest quality screens/rooms/projectors it seems, with little to no care for projection quality. When you complain and bring focus or other issues to their attention they just blame it on the 3D itself. They give the impression they have a clear personal dislike for the medium themselves unfortunately. But all thats's a different topic I suppose.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
http://www.wdwparkhoppers.com/disney-changes-title-for-brad-birds-1952%e2%80%b2-to-tomorrowland/
You can see in this article that the original speculations was that it would be in 3D, but the producers tweeted it would not be.

This is a SBS 3D (if your TV can convert SBS to 3D) of Tomorrowland. If you see it in 3D, it merely pushes the 3D back into the screen. This is probably the trailer that some theaters use if they are showing trailers in 3D and don't want to switch to 2D in the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XKNlXyVvzTQ

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I wanted to see this movie, now I wanna see it a little less. Looked like a decent movie for 3d

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Seems to me that Disney is taking control of everything 3D and Disneyland investment. Just the title's change for example is weird; the directors lost their title. Disney seem to be losing their "appeal" somehow, in particular here in North America.
It looks as if they are more oriented @ pleasing their investors than @ pleasing their own fans; us and all the children

* By the way, the thread's title has a very minor typo: Tomarrowland 3D?

♦ I hope that Disney will see the common sense light someday soon, and respect the spirit of its main founder; Walter.
They would make even more money by doing so, I truly believe.
Right now, from my view, it appears that some miss-management is going on. ...Perhaps it's just an illusion; a financial miscalculation into believing that they are making more money when actually they could make even more. But what do I know; it's just a wondering idea in my head, emancipated by various readings here and there, plus the complexities of getting more Disney 3D Blu-ray movie titles in my 3D collection.

Anyway, we live in a mysterious 'Disney' world. ...With lesser and lesser 3D action on our own ground.

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
i saw the sneak preview of this IN disneyworld (EPCOT magic eye theater to be exact) in a 3d theater that housed honey I shrunk the audience and captain EO...both showcasing 3d. and the preview was in 2D. so it would be safe to say this is NOT a 3D release.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Originally, our local IMAX theater that favors 3D had Tomorrowland advertised for 3D, but now they removed that. We scrapped our plans to go there over the weekend to see it because it was not in 3D. I'll just wait to rent it from Redbox or, if it was made in 3D, but the 3D BD from foreign source when released.

I will skip this one and see what else is playing.

poltergeist 3D?
Try San Andreas is in 3D.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This is what I was thinking also.

I will skip this one and see what else is playing.

poltergeist 3D?
I might opt for Poltergeist over San Andreas because the director was closely involved with the 3D application and (according to some I've spoken to who saw it) the 3D was well-done with some effective pop-outs. San Andreas...I don't know if the same applies. It might just be an after-the-fact conversion. (but I'll be getting both on disc when they are released). As for Tomorrowland, Brad Bird apparently didn't grasp the technical issues of 3D (by his own admission) so any conversion might have ineffectual results since 3D wasn't considered while it was being shot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
...As for Tomorrowland, Brad Bird apparently didn't grasp the technical issues of 3D (by his own admission) so any conversion might have ineffectual results since 3D wasn't considered while it was being shot.
Which I find ironic considering a lot of his animated directorial work seems tailor-made for 3D, i.e. Ratatouille and The Incredibles, even if the former's 3D re-rendering was weak (truly a missed opportunity). If the rumored Incredibles 3D re-rendering ever sees the light of day I hope it's a much stronger conversion than Ratatouille was.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Which I find ironic considering a lot of his animated directorial work seems tailor-made for 3D, i.e. Ratatouille and The Incredibles, even if the former's 3D re-rendering was weak (truly a missed opportunity). If the rumored Incredibles 3D re-rendering ever sees the light of day I hope it's a much stronger conversion than Ratatouille was.
Glad the press can't blame 3D for Tomorrowland's flop!
$175m fantasia Tomorrowland managing a limp $32.9m three-day US debut and an alarming $27.5m from 65 overseas territories – just over half of its rollout.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I passed this one up at the theater because it wasn't in 3D and the fact the rotten acting shown by the young woman in the preview really turned me off. Once again a lousy preview has done a lot to disinterest people in a Disney property. (Remember John Carter?) The preview did not make you all that interested in the film and didn't even stress that George Clooney was the star. Also, it's not surprising that we see Disney pictures in 2D as it appears they have decided that 3D doesn't present the profit margin the suits consider worthwhile. The worldwide success of Cinderella in 2D pretty much put the nail in the coffin of Disney live action 3D films.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts