AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony KDS-50A2000 and have experiencing the green tint issue. I thought it was the lamp, but replacing it didn't help. After searching online, I found that this is the fairly common issue and there was apparently a class action lawsuit to get these sets fixed/replaced.

Is it too late to expect Sony to do anything to fix this problem for me, or am I a little late to the party? I'd really hate to have to pay a crazy amount to get this fixed.

·
Registered
15,335 Posts
It's worth a shot. You may get a free OB repair or a slightly discounted replacement TV. Otherwise, according to the lawsuit, you are still at least entitled to $200, I think, unless you opted out. Your TV is around 7 years old now and well outside of the warranty and extended warranty periods.

If sony won't give you anything, I highly discourage you from paying $1000 to get it repaired when a new TV will cost far less and perform much better. Even if you perform the repair yourself, you're looking at $300 or so for parts. Then the repair will probably only last a few years. Also consider that a new TV won't require a $100 bulb every few years. So you should factor that into your cost analysis as well. That can amount to $500 or more over the life of the TV.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1463098/too-late-to-have-sony-fix-green-hue-issue-on-kds-50a2000#post_23099209

It's worth a shot. You may get a free OB repair or a slightly discounted replacement TV. Otherwise, according to the lawsuit, you are still at least entitled to $200, I think, unless you opted out. Your TV is around 7 years old now and well outside of the warranty and extended warranty periods.

If sony won't give you anything, I highly discourage you from paying $1000 to get it repaired when a new TV will cost far less and perform much better. Even if you perform the repair yourself, you're looking at $300 or so for parts. Then the repair will probably only last a few years. Also consider that a new TV won't require a $100 bulb every few years. So you should factor that into your cost analysis as well. That can amount to $500 or more over the life of the TV.

It turns out that the lawsuit was only valid for the US and doesn't apply to Canada.

Regardless, Sony did provide me with a Sony Store credit to use towards a new TV. Now I'm trying to decide if I wait for the new W series sets or get the current 55" HX850.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts