AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Counting amps in the HT/DIY speaker project, I think things might be getting excessive......

Biamped LCRs = 3 amps (Xti 1000)

Surrounds = 2 amps (4 surround speakers, 7.1 - Xti 1000)

Subs = at least 1 more amp (Xti 4000)

Total = 6 amps (maybe one more given sub design in flex)

Anyone else have this going on, or am I getting crazy!

db

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
no thats not excessive. when you look at your electrican request a bigger electrical feed and upgrade your panel to a 400 amp panel with 10 dedicated 20 amp circuits. then that may be excessive.

my receiver has more amps in it then 6.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/0

Counting amps in the HT/DIY speaker project, I think things might be getting excessive......

Surrounds = 2 amps (4 surround speakers, 7.1 - Xti 1000)

Subs = at least 1 more amp (Xti 4000)

Unless you need the EQ capabilities of the XTi1000 to make your crossover work, I would look at multichannel "home" amps for the mains and surrounds. Might be more expensive, but certainly prettier.

If your amp rack is out of sight from the listening position, that sounds like a fun system. But I wouldn't want to look at all of those boxes, myself. I get more enjoyment out of my main system now, with a Panasonic XR55 amping all of my mains and hidden subwoofer amps, than I did when I was running a separate preamp and a two foot high stack of separate amps. Aesthetics matter, too.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life /forum/post/0

Yep you win.
Now may I ask about the system you are using these in.

That's not my pic

I only have ten PLX and two Crest 10k.

Actually, my rig is rated for more power than that rack by at least 10kw, harr harr harr
But my rig doesn't count, it's not operational................... yet ... I need

to have a chat with Chad Vader to expedite the battlestation

I work at George Lucas pace.............

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few additional data points:

1)All equipment will be in separate closet/rack so aesthetics are not an issue. (Although, I like the look of the amp rack in the closet)

2)Consumer multichannel amps seem to work out much more expensive (but have considered using a few spare consumer amps for the surrounds - Hafler 9300).

3)I will need the EQ functions for crossing over the biamped mains and equalizing the subs - rather this function built in to the amp than more components.

4)Would rather go with preamp with balanced output (Outlaw 990).

db

4)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I think where you're at sounds about right for bang/buck. I think thebland has about as many amplifiers or more, but he definitely qualifies as "excessive."

Edit: and I almost forgot kg'!

Since you aren't useing very big power for the surrounds, also poke around at some of the 4ch pro amps out there. You may find some cost and chassis savings. You might just confirm your original selection.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I have two Nady XA900, two Tapco J1400, 7 channel Denon 2307ci, 5 channel Adcom, and three plate amps in my system. Excess is a word for people without imagination or resources.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I think thy is going to be running 60kw to his new array is that enough?

I have begun buying EP2500's for my project, I have 5 now, I will be getting 11 more + some sub amps, I may use the EP2500, or I may spring for something better, I haven't decided.

I will be running '9600watts' to my L/C/R's and 4800watts to my surrounds. *actual results may vary

I would expect to get about 7000watts to my mains and 3500watts to the surrounds, I have found the EP2500's perform much better as speaker amps than sub amps. basically out of a grand total of 128 drivers, each 4 would have their own 110volts of clipping protection (1200watts at 2ohms).

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/0

Why do you need them biamped, isn't one channel enough power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/0

I have begun buying EP2500's for my project, I have 5 now, I will be getting 11 more + some sub amps, I may use the EP2500, or I may spring for something better, I haven't decided.

A while back djdeals.com had them on sale for 278.00 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/0

I will be running '9600watts' to my L/C/R's and 4800watts to my surrounds. *actual results may vary

I would expect to get about 7000watts to my mains and 3500watts to the surrounds, I have found the EP2500's perform much better as speaker amps than sub amps. basically out of a grand total of 128 drivers, each 4 would have their own 110volts of clipping protection (1200watts at 2ohms).

WTF!? Are you installing surround sound in a techno club? I've heard/seen some things on here that were bit excessive, but you sir are just nuts!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/0

Why do you need them biamped, isn't one channel enough power?

A while back djdeals.com had them on sale for 278.00 shipped.

WTF!? Are you installing surround sound in a techno club? I've heard/seen some things on here that were bit excessive, but you sir are just nuts!

Yeah, I get them for $270 from my local guitar center, I know the guys there real well, they cut me special deals because I have given them a lot of business. I took some friends in there last fall and they dropped over 10k apiece on various things, ever since, they have alway cut me deals.

Yes I am thoroughly and completely nuts, for me though, it has nothing to do with actually driving my speakers with 9600watts, its all about having 9600watts of clip protection, this means my speakers can run at 50 watts and handle a sudden 20dB peak without the amps coming close to running out of juice.

Thylantir is the real amp eater around here though, my build is childs play compared to his.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Armystud,

Methinks you need to consider bigger/more efficient speakers, although mentioning 128 drivers makes me think you intend line arrays, which shouldn't be too shabby in the sensitivity department.
The cheaper amps do fairly well when kept well within their limits, although I have to wonder if there might be more efficient paths toward a similar end.

I like the intent though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.