AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question: Can an amp take an HDMI signal and convert it to a component signal? My guess is no...

I have a Mitsubishi WS-65611, that has no HDMI ports and one component in capable of 1080i. I (as of tomorrow) will have FOUR devices that are hi-def...

HDDVD (both HDMI and component)

Comcast HiDef Cable (both HDMI and component)

Camcorder (component)

Computer (component)

So how do I hook up 4 devices? Well, I do have an a Sony AV Receiver (STR-DE898) that has 2 components in and one out. So I can have 2 connected.

As I see it, I have a couple of options:

- Buy a new TV with more HDMI / Comp ports (thousands)

- Buy a new amp with more HDMI/ Comp ports (hundreds)

- Constantly unplug ports or buy some switcher

I thought if I bought an amp with HDMI and comp ports, I should have enough to hook everything up.

Any thoughts?

TV - Mitsubishi (WS-65611)

VCR - Mitsubishi (HS-U447)

DVD (400-disc) - (DVP-CX995V)

AV Receiver (STR-DE898)

DirecTiVo (HDVR2)

DVD Recorder (DMR-ES20)

HDDVD (HDV5000)

·
Registered
279 Posts
In a similar situation, just for kicks, I bought one of those cheap AV component switchers. I expect it to degrade the HD some, but surprisingly HD looks as good through it as direct to the TV (Mits 65511)... so that's what I'm doing for now until I get newer "HDMI" gear.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Zektor makes a high quality 4-input component video and digital audio switcher for about $250 list.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i've had great luck with the audio authority 1154a component/audio switcher over the years. its also automatic if desired so you can just use the a/v receiver and tv as a on/off switch, no more switching inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts