AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I searched but didn't find anything)

I have following:

xbox, wii, 2 tivos, cable box, dvd player and air tunes remote (soon to add a computer)

and would like to find a single box to control all of the above so that I can run just one cable to my plasma (component)

I have a Yamaha receiver that doesn't have enough inputs and I'm hoping to not spend too much money replacing it. (

Thanks for any help on this.

bob

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
How many component inputs does your receiver have, and how many does your TV have? In other words, can your receiver handle 2 or 3 of the component sources and send it into one of the component inputs on the TV? If so, then do that, and then buy an external 4 x 1 component switch and feed that into the second component input on the TV. There used to be a 8 x 3 component switch, but it's been discontinued apparently, and ran around $1500 anyway. A 4 x 1 component switch can be had for around $35 at monoprice.com. I can't vouch for how well it works, but it's worth a shot for $35. FWIW, I have the 5x1 HDMI switch from monoprice and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. For all practical purposes I only want to run one cable to the tv.

I was looking at the component switches but an confused how the audio gets switched at the same time?

I was hoping that someone made a box that switched between 7 or 8 video/audio sources.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one with this many toys..

thanks again,

bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bob, I'm currently researching this alternative as well. There are a couple options. There are two boxes that it seems are the "cheap" alternatives. Both of them have their shortcomings but they do switch video, ethernet, and optical. Do a search on both of these and you should have plenty of reading. The biggest issue i've heard with both units is the fact they drop the video signal when any source displays a large amount of bright light on the screen (as in playing video games). This could be a big problem for me since my PS3 will be hooked into it.

Joytech - http://www.joytech.net/5/products/av/9/AV-Equipment.htm

Models: 245C

Psyclone - http://www.psyclonegamer.com/product...=source&id=990

Model: PSC01

Yesterday I picked up the Psyclone unit from BB for $105 but will be taking it back because it's the first generation model without discreet inputs on the remote. I may order the one from Monoprice as it seems to be a great "video only" option in the interim. I can handle the audio switching from my receiver. I'll post back what I decide to do and my findings. Also here is a thread with lots of info about both boxes.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=joytech

Don

·
Registered
114 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Just returned from BB. I went in expecting to swap out the Psyclone for one of the newer builds with the discreet inputs. After checking stock they said there were three left so I went on a search through the store with the associate. After looking around we stumbled upon one of the Joytech models (240C) I initially thought it wouldn't work because the 240C models supposedly DO NOT have Component inputs..........well, that too is incorrect. If you go to Joytech's site you will see they have a 245C listed that supports HD. I think that is a Euro only model and not available in the states. The 240C models they have listed show no Component inputs but I believe the ones shipping to the states actually support Component. The other benefit is the Joytech supports 7 inputs as opposed to 4 on the Psyclone. The best part is the price, it was only $89 as opposed to $105 so I ended up saving a few$$ in the process. Now I have my fingers crossed that this will work and I won't experience the issues of signal loss but we'll see. If not, no biggie as I'm not out a lot of $$ I'll post results once it's dialed in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Don, I just went to Circuit City to search stuff out and they couldn't be bothered to help me :)

One option I'm looking at is the Pioneer VXS-82 which has 8 usable inputs (if I use the component and hdmi inputs). I'm searching the forums now for some feedback on how well it works.

·
Registered
114 Posts
UPDATE#2

Unfortunately the Joytech box is complete crap. I hooked it up with only my DVD and HD cable box without the audio. Started testing things out only to find lots of ghosting. Both on the DVD and Cable. It was much worse on 720p material. This issue was stated in another thread and unfortunately it looks like this is still a major drawback for the Joytech. I also had some serious wavy lines and feedback on the DVD. I even switched out cables, inputs, etc... and the same issue was present.

So, I ended up going to a Circuit City to see if I could find one of the next gen Psyclone units. After pulling it out of the box in the store to check the inputs (under the eye of one of their finest employees who said "there's no need to do that, there's a picture of the hookups on the back of the box") and luckily it was the new unit. I explained the difference to the guy and he just kinda stared at me funny
At any rate, I decided to keep the joytech to at least make sure it isn't something in my system. I got home, hooked it up next to the Joytech and fired it up. I'm happy to report the Psyclone COMPLETELY eliminated all of the interference. So back to BB with the Joytech!! I hooked everything up last night and it seems to be working perfectly. I even stuck my PS3 on it to see if I could get it to drop the signal and it has yet to do it so we'll see if it stays that way.

So my final conclusion is to go with the Psyclone or order the one from Monoprice or the one from Inday that I stumbled upon. I was going to order this one if the Psyclone didn't work out. Here it is if interested http://www.inday.com/index.html This really is a much better built unit with bandwidth greater than 230mhz. I'm sure the Psyclone is much less but to my eyes it doesn't look to experience any signal degredation. For video only this is definite but it's nice having the audio and ethernet hookups. Hope this helps!!

Don

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Let us know if you are happy with the one cable solution. Right now I am of the opinion to achieve that you need a $2K-ish external scaler. The AVR's that do this just don't produce the best picture quality using them in this way. I suggest still running every type of connection the display offers from the AVR to the display.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, so far so good. I decided to upgrade a few of my interconnects and received my order from Monoprice yesterday. Man, I am blown away at the quality of their products for the price, hard to beat. Anyway, rewired everything again last night including revising my Pronto file to operate the switch. It works perfectly. I decided to hook my PS3 directly into it to see if I could get the signal to drop. Popped in Resistance and had no issues what so ever. The PQ seems to be very good as well, at least to my eyes I see no ghosting, lines or fuzziness in the picture. It's also quite nice having the optical switching. It wasn't needed but still quite nice. All in all, I'd say for $100 it's a solid option. Granted a 2K scaler/switch solution would be nice but this a solid choice for someone on a budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.