AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I wonder what the future holds for the Sinclair owned RSNs. Everyone seems to be dropping them. Since YTTV dropped Tampa bay RSN its been hard to watch the Lightning games. I live in north Florida and NHL center Ice wont let me have Tampa Bay. Maybe the NHL will lift the blackouts this year.
Sinclair is launching its own standalone streaming service in partnership with Bally Sports. No word yet on pricing, launch date (sometime in 2021), or what will determine the teams you have access to.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I won't be surprised if within 5 years it becomes increasingly difficult and expensive to hop between services.
All the major streamers are starting to shut down their free trials. HBO Max has announced that their free trial will be removed prior to the release of WW84 on the service on Christmas day. They have now joined Neftlix and Disney that have recently ended free trials. The days of binge 'leeching' off of a free trial are getting more difficult. I can see the next step to be month-to-month fees being priced higher with a more heavily discounted annual payment option. Even subscribing for a month to binge watch a favorite show will become more expensive.

Reactions: allargon

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
Anyone with a few spare minutes every few months.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Who has time to constantly switch streaming services.
That's what I say. Do any of these 'uber streamers' have a life to live other than to chase streaming services around to see if they have this or that show?
BTY, does anyone know when the Lord of the Rings series will air, and what service will carry it? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm probably a minority. But we cut the cord before it was that was even a term (pre 2000). Took that money we were paying to cable TV and put that towards disc media. Had Netflix for a couple of years when they mailed out discs to see if we wanted to purchase the media later. About eight years ago I digitized everything and put it up on my server/NAS. Used DLNA for a few years then switched to Plex. We now have a huge library of media and can watch whatever or whenever we like. The sutdios can't take away my discs once I own them. I'm my own streaming service now.

The whole streaming services gig will end up costing more than cable. And in my eyes, you will own none of it. Owning your own media seems to be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have to admit, I have Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and all apps associated with AT&T TV, which I switched to last month from WOW! Cable. I spend more time on YouTube than anything. My problem with AT&T TV is it doesn't have access to Prime Video and Starz apps. How in the hell is the Starz app available on AT&T Uverse and DirecTV, but not AT&T TV??? Now, I can't see anyone not having Prime Video when it and Prime Music comes free with Amazon Prime. BTW, my cable bill went down $100/month when I switched. That price is with 5 streaming boxes that I will own in a year, HBO Max, Showtime, Starz, and Epix. I just realized I don't know if I have The Movie Channel or Cinemax. I need to check on that! Anyways, I pay Disney+ and Amazon Prime yearly for their discounts. I don't drink. I rarely go out, so I have nothing better to waste my money on than being able to use my home theater to the fullest. Plus, I don't think me and the wife will ever step foot in a theater again when basically all the studios will eventually put all new releases on their apps. Warner Bros already stated all new 2021 movies will be released on HBO Max from day 1 of the release. Wonder Woman 1984 is coming out Christmas Day this year on HBO Max.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Ok, I do have Cinemax...must be the Max in HBO Max. No Movie Channel tho.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm probably a minority. But we cut the cord before it was that was even a term (pre 2000).
Beat ya: We never had a cord to cut in the first place. Always thought it was too costly for what you got.

The whole streaming services gig will end up costing more than cable.
Right now we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS Passport, One America News, and a OTA DVR subscription. Altogether I think it was $37/mo. last I added it up. If any of those things gets too expensive we'll merely drop them.

As for the Balkanization of streaming services: When Starz pulled itself off Netflix we stopped watching any Starz content. When Disney went their own way we said "Buh bye" to Disney content. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I divide up the services with a few friends... I cover Netflix (4 Screen UHD), Prime, and Spotify Family; another carries HBO Max, and Criterion; my brother carries YouTubeTV and D+/ESPN+/Hulu (through Verizon); another just mooches but brews pretty good beer/cider and helps us with auto repairs. We also share a Vudu/MA pool, but only a couple of us really contribute to it. The only quirk is, since we're split between two states, I have to remember to login with both YTTV sub-accounts for location authorization when I'm back home visiting (or call my brother to do it when I forget).

Not everyone uses every service frequently... only a few times during big sporting events have we hit any screen limits, and then we were able to use individual network streaming apps as a workaround. We all know it won't work forever (Hulu Live already prevents such use) but, for now, it's keeping all the bases covered. Our backup plan if YTTV takes similar action is Lowcast along with individual apps authorized through one of the group's HOA-based cable.

Reactions: markrubin

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I know all this has already been posted, but:

Wait until the streaming services start forcing people to sign up to quarterly/semi-annual/annual for their services. Month to month will be things of the past. Why? Because they will discount those "monthly bundles" while charging you a fortune for month to month service.

Wait until the federal government makes ISP a "Public Utility", so they can add even more taxes to Internet service. Why not. People now are working remotely more than ever, and even when things get "back to normal", working from home will become "more normal" for more people in the USA than ever before. With more on the way.

Wait until the ISP's start "artificially lowering" their Data Caps. Why? Because they can and will. Artificially low? 500GB/month would be the starting point. It may not start that low, but it will be 750GB at most because then they can charge A LOT MORE in fees. And they will. They have to answer to stock holders.

Wait until start making deals with streaming services, or their own. Hello COMCAST with PEACOCK, so that "their contracted services" will be in the FAST LANE for their ISP service, and not throttled down for service who didn't make deals. Also, those streaming services who made deals with ISP's won't count against their artificially low caps. Welcome to NO NET NEUTRALITY thanks to the current J**OFF head of the FCC who is leaving on January 20th, 2021.

All this will come too pass, and then other AVS Forum members can reply to my post with the same disdain that Dr. Strange said to Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War:

"Congratulations. Your a prophet.":p(y)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Real talk!

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Wait until the federal government makes ISP a "Public Utility", so they can add even more taxes to Internet service.
Frankly, I don't understand why this hasn't happened already. The government is bleeding red ink with all the pandemic hand-out costs. Taxes from legal weed is a start but won't be enough. The Internet seems over-ripe for the picking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My solution is not to subscribe to any of the streaming services. Instead I use Netflix, as in the disc rental service. I don't understand why everyone else stopped using it. With the exceptions of stuff exclusive to a particular streaming service, and some random, out of print older titles, you can still watch most any movie or show you'd want, and if you're paying for Blu-ray, you're getting it with better picture and audio quality than streaming video. It's suffering a little right now because of the slow mail due to the pandemic, but I find with the three at a time plan, I have something available to watch most nights. One option would be to subscribe to the disc rental service + maybe one streaming service

21 - 40 of 50 Posts