41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
162 Posts
My solution is not to subscribe to any of the streaming services. Instead I use Netflix, as in the disc rental service. I don't understand why everyone else stopped using it. With the exceptions of stuff exclusive to a particular streaming service, and some random, out of print older titles, you can still watch most any movie or show you'd want, and if you're paying for Blu-ray, you're getting it with better picture and audio quality than streaming video. It's suffering a little right now because of the slow mail due to the pandemic, but I find with the three at a time plan, I have something available to watch most nights. One option would be to subscribe to the disc rental service + maybe one streaming service
2001 called, they want their discs back.

I can't image sitting around waiting days just to watch something I can see instantly on my smart tv.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
🤣😂🤣😂

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm probably a minority. But we cut the cord before it was that was even a term (pre 2000). Took that money we were paying to cable TV and put that towards disc media. Had Netflix for a couple of years when they mailed out discs to see if we wanted to purchase the media later. About eight years ago I digitized everything and put it up on my server/NAS. Used DLNA for a few years then switched to Plex. We now have a huge library of media and can watch whatever or whenever we like. The sutdios can't take away my discs once I own them. I'm my own streaming service now.

The whole streaming services gig will end up costing more than cable. And in my eyes, you will own none of it. Owning your own media seems to be a good thing.
I would go to just disks and rips too, but I like to watch sports and current events. All that used to be on OTA for free, but not anymore.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It was not long ago where many were paying $200 a month for Cinemax, Showtime and HBO. And 150 cable channels that we never watched anyway. Most were complaining back then "when are the premium channels going to offer ala carte. Now you've got it and many are still unhappy. . . . go figure!

I have Netflix (still a bargain per day if you break it down divided by 31 days) ) and Amazon Prime 1 day delivery plus a free streaming service. And both have a growing selection of titles in HDR, DD, DV and Atmos. I remember waiting years for Netflix to finally offer DD audio.

"Can life get any better" 😜

Reactions: crabboy

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
And WHO could argue with THAT!
I'm a cancer and I use to live all around LA when I was a kid...South Central, Inglewood, Eagle Rock, and Silver Lake. What is the area called around Olympic and Pico Blvd's? Olympic Blvd is 1st street I lived on in 4th grade.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I think it has become a crowded streaming landscape .. I try to put on hold streamers when I tap out of content I want to watch, I take advantage of whatever my CATV provider allows such as HBO MAX, I bagged HULU over two yearly cycles now by taking advantage of the $1.99 a month deal offered over Black Friday .. I'll take Prime for a month or two when new content looks interesting .. etc, etc ..

But, it's tiring keeping up .. combine that with this new show and that new show, it can be confusing ..

I've been a proponent of a la carte forever .. I just never figured it would splinter into what it's morphing into, with no end in sight ..

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was not long ago where many were paying $200 a month for Cinemax, Showtime and HBO. And 150 cable channels that we never watched anyway. Most were complaining back then "when are the premium channels going to offer ala carte. Now you've got it and many are still unhappy. . . . go figure!

I have Netflix (still a bargain per day if you break it down divided by 31 days) ) and Amazon Prime 1 day delivery plus a free streaming service. And both have a growing selection of titles in HDR, DD, DV and Atmos. I remember waiting years for Netflix to finally offer DD audio.

"Can life get any better" 😜
For those of us in households where Prime is a no-brainer way to avoid a la carte shipping fees on our dozen or so Amazon deliveries each month, Prime Video is a great streaming “deal”...

...except for the fact that 90% of our TV viewing is content from BritBox, MHz, Acorn, etc. D’Oh! Streaming subscription fee overload again🤔

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
For those of us in households where Prime is a no-brainer way to avoid a la carte shipping fees on our dozen or so Amazon deliveries each month, Prime Video is a great streaming “deal”...
If I was ordering from Amazon that consistently, I'd probably keep Prime consistently .. but, in my case, it's easy enough to save an order or two till I hit the $25.00 free shipping .. yes, there are Prime Only deals and a few other perks, but I'm just not a big regular buyer .. used to be, when there was no sales tax, but now, I can find it locally for about the same money ..

41 - 50 of 50 Posts