AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 950 ft3 room with four 12" subs.

I thought the drivers were junk but it turns out the way I set them up was junk.

meanwhile I already bought 2 um-18s and inuke 6000 and built a box for them.

So....if you were in my shoes, would you just use the two 18s, or would you use the two 18s PLUS the four 12s?

dilemma is it only adds 1.5 decibels but now I will have multiple subs that I would want to time align and that is a lot of effort.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
64 base level speakers $10k
28 height speakers $10k,
14 subwoofers $10k
90% of the movie sound coming from the center channel - priceless.

LMAO!

2 um-18s will fill up that room without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: Rob West

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There's no such thing as too much bass. Time aligning doesn't have to be too hard, particularly if you have measuring gear. If you've got a spot or two that gives the best response, stack them all near there. You don't have to spread them out.

What type of enclosures, what type of tuning? Think if it this way, you can have really epic bass if you want.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Your almost there you just need 2 more 18's and another 6000 plus the 4 12's. Then you can go deaf like the rest of us!!!:laugh:

Reactions: mikeTRON250LM

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
So....if you were in my shoes, would you just use the two 18s, or would you use the two 18s PLUS the four 12s?
I had 4 21" and 8 12" subs at one stage, so I'd say use the lot. Eventually there will be the 4 21" and 4 UM18's.

If I were you, I'd put the 18's up front and the 12's nearfield.

dilemma is it only adds 1.5 decibels but now I will have multiple subs that I would want to time align and that is a lot of effort.
1.5dB sounds too low. What are the 12"s?

Buy a MiniDSP so you can set the delays differently easily and the EQ will be useful.

Reactions: AudioJosh

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
64 base level speakers $10k
28 height speakers $10k,
14 subwoofers $10k
90% of the movie sound coming from the center channel - priceless.

LMAO!

2 um-18s will fill up that room without breaking a sweat.
and in one stroke, i have become, oh no, a consumer. :eek:

adding 4 12s for a meager 1.8 db increase doesnt seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's no such thing as too much bass. Time aligning doesn't have to be too hard, particularly if you have measuring gear. If you've got a spot or two that gives the best response, stack them all near there. You don't have to spread them out.

What type of enclosures, what type of tuning? Think if it this way, you can have really epic bass if you want.
three of the subs are not moving. so its going to make time aligning tricky. they are sealed subs and they sound very good.

I couldn't believe this thread name in this forum! As I understand it if you don't have broken drywall or windows, and no flashing lights or sirens, you don't have too much bass,...
normally I would think you were joking but in the diy bass thread with 8 21s being the norm, you just might be serious as a heart attack :D

Here is the door....

Now, you've been shown the door. Too much bass in a room...LOL
The nerve of this thread!
so you are the one who reported me to a moderator for daring to even think that there might be such a thing as too much bass?

I got a warning- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH BASS. YOUVE BEEN WARNED. :D

Your almost there you just need 2 more 18's and another 6000 plus the 4 12's. Then you can go deaf like the rest of us!!!:laugh:
you have a point. if i do that, do you think I'll finally be able to hear the marvel movies "as they were meant to be heard?" lol

Now you can have nearfield 18's, unless you can only fit the 12's.
the um18s box will be four ft from the MLP :cool:

4 subs around the room for the best FR. Keep the small subs closer to the MLP and the other 2, nearfied. Sounds like a dynamite system.
unfortunately, three of the 12s are the bottom end of my three way active speakers, so those are not moving. having said that I do firmly believe that the subs should come from the same general area as the main speakers.

1.5dB sounds too low. What are the 12"s?

Buy a MiniDSP so you can set the delays differently easily and the EQ will be useful.
iirc, the um 18s modelled 121 db at 30hz. the 4 12 modelled 118 db at 30, so 121+118 =122.8
so I guess a 1.8 db increase?

I have something thats kinda like the minidsp that can do delays.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Try things out with all of them, and make an effort to get them all to play nice together. I doubt you'll want to give up any of them if you can dial things in. Especially if the 12s are part of your main speakers... set your crossovers for those three down low, make sure your AVR isn't set to "LFE+Main" and then just locate the new 18s in the best (feasible) locations. It will be great! If you have one "extra" 12 floating around you can always use it nearfield as an end table or something.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha ha ha, I lost it laughing....
I have cracked drywall (a few times) and still think I could use a little more... ya know... just cause..... :D
lol

you do realize that 2x 24s could be used to provide the low end for a mid to large size auditorium right?

Reactions: uniquepattern

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
lol you do realize that 2x 24s could be used to provide the low end for a mid to large size auditorium right?

Yes.... yes I do...

Yes, but we all know here that small home theater provides acoustical issues that an auditorium doesn't have, so we have to compensate somehow. Right? That's how I see it. :cool:

Oh yeah.... Any lie I can tell myself to get new gear is great!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Oh lord I knew this was going to devolve quickly lol. i was hoping I could be the first one in here to scream "ARE YOU MAD NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION HERE!!!" haha. This is a place where anything under 18" is considered tiny, one of the folks on here has a 21" sub in each end table, I've seen photos of people home theaters with a wall of 18" subs or larger. People here buy subs like you buy eggs by the dozen LOL

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Oh lord I knew this was going to devolve quickly lol. i was hoping I could be the first one in here to scream "ARE YOU MAD NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION HERE!!!" haha. This is a place where anything under 18" is considered tiny, one of the folks on herehas a 21" sub in each end table, I've seen photos of people home theaters with a wall of 18" subs or larger. People here buy subs like you buy eggs by the dozen LOL

only a 21" sub??? Pffft..... lol:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts