AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a transcoder and will be plugging directly to the TV so I need component adapter with the card and the WinTV-HD seems to be the only one that has it included.......any others include this?

I am using the ATI HDTV Dongle so will not see the video on desktop, so also have to get a card that all the PVR functions can be done from remote if possible.....

Can you also see SD Signals through the Component out as well as the HDTV content and do all of the PVR functions on SD?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The MyHD comes with component out with the included cable, the HiPix needs a inexpensive (about $10, depending where you buy it) breakout cable, SD signals outputs out the same output, the MyHD intergrates both NTSC and ATSC together, the HiPix makes you choose ATSC or NTSC, but both are sent from the same output.

Jim

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
There are currently 4 HDTV cards on the market that I kow of (HiPix, MyHD, AccessDTV and another one whose name escapes me at the moment).

All these cards can output either a RGB or component signal. As far as I know they also all have a pass through feature which you can use to pass the output of your video card to your HDTV (It should also work with the ATI dongle, as the pass through feature doesn't touch the signal AFAIK).

Now, for the difficult question: only the AccessDTV card has the Pause/Replay feature associated with PVRs... but it is also the only card that doesn't have an s-video/composite input. It also doesn't come with a remote (though it will work with Girder and you favorite remote...)

All in all, there is no consensus on what is the best card, as they all have serious pros and cons...

Eiffel

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
All of the current HDTV cards use VGA output and require a breakout cable to go to Component input of most HDTVs. You choose the output via configuration menu in the software. SD and HD stations can all be displayed via the same output.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
most of the places I have looked dont list the vga to component video adapter included ecept for the WinTV-HD Board.

The WinTV-HD Board and MyHD both seem to have more buttons on the remotes than just volume and channel....cant see it very clearly on either but it looks like the PVR Functions are on the remote possibly.

I like the fact that the MyHD doesnt make you switch at all between the two siganls (HDTV and SDTV)

One thing that confused me was digitalconnection didnt list the vga to component adapter as included...... Says that you would need a trans coder to display both PC Desktop and HDTV content etc....

I wonder if you can attatch the MyHD straight to the TV and then on the breakout cable hook the ATI HDTV Dongle to see it that way as well....

but that wont really be nessecary if I can do all of the PVR Functions from the remote.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nintari
The WinTV-HD Board and MyHD both seem to have more buttons on the remotes than just volume and channel....cant see it very clearly on either but it looks like the PVR Functions are on the remote possibly.
MyHD's remote has a lot of buttons but some of them DON'T WORK.

Or at least, don't work yet.

Let's talk about the ones that work, since there aren't that many.

You can change channels and the volume. Both change slowly but the slow volume changing bothers me more. The fact that commercials are usually louder than the show gets annoying fast. There's also a possible bug with losing volume level during FF, at least for my system.

You can FF/REW in a crippled way.

Again, the buttons are very slow, so you can't just hold the FF down and have it quickly advance. Both FF and REW work on a single fixed interval which can only be changed by drilling down deep into their config menu, not from the remote. So if you configure it to FF for 30 seconds, you have to slowly push the FF about 10 times during your average commercial break. When you get too far, you have REW and sit through almost 30 seconds of stuff you didn't want. There's no such thing as REW just a little, which I frequently want.

Input select, power, aspect ratio, guide, and next file buttons also work.

Menu does not, and I haven't seen any use for the digit keys.

In my opinion, PC TV without a good remote is just a toy. Right now, I consider the MyHD remote to be unacceptable. Perhaps they will improve it in the future.

If you're going to watch HDTV in front of your monitor where you can use the keyboard and mouse, the MyHD is fine.

If you're a couch potato, but you don't mind waiting and the risk that nothing happens, then you can consider the MyHD. As for me, I wish I had known about the true situation before spending my money.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€MyHD's remote has a lot of buttons but some of them DON'T WORK.â€

Actually only two of the buttons are not functional at this time. The other buttons have different functions based on operating mode. For example the ESC button will return the tuner to the previous channel.

The MENU button is reserved for a later software release that may very well have something to do with menus and CAPTION will be used for Closed Captions (CC) when the software support for CC is released.

â€Let's talk about the ones that work, since there aren't that many.

You can change channels and the volume. Both change slowly but the slow volume changing bothers me more. The fact that commercials are usually louder than the show gets annoying fast. There's also a possible bug with losing volume level during FF, at least for my system.â€

The key word here is your system. Very few users have had this problem and MIT has not been able to reproduce the problem. Nor have I in my HTPC systems.

â€You can FF/REW in a crippled way.â€

I guess telling you that FF/REW will have advanced functions in the next software version is not good enough.

â€Input select, power, aspect ratio, guide, and next file buttons also work.â€

Input select, Power, 0-9 numbers, Audio, Sub-Ch, Mute, Esc (Prev Ch), Ch Up/Down, Volume Up/Down, OK (select), Fav, Aspect Ratio, Play/Pause, Stop, Rew, FF, Prev, Next, HD, and Record buttons all work.

â€Menu does not, and I haven't seen any use for the digit keys.â€

Like all TV remote controls the number buttons are used for direct selection of a channel number.

â€In my opinion, PC TV without a good remote is just a toy. Right now, I consider the MyHD remote to be unacceptable. Perhaps they will improve it in the future.â€

This HTPC Forum is ALL about our toys.

â€If you're going to watch HDTV in front of your monitor where you can use the keyboard and mouse, the MyHD is fine.

If you're a couch potato, but you don't mind waiting and the risk that nothing happens, then you can consider the MyHD. As for me, I wish I had known about the true situation before spending my money.â€

It’s also possible for the more expert users to gain complete control of the application. If you read thru the forum you will find that the work has been done for you and you simply download a control file. Of course you may need to buy a better learning remote to use with the software, but most people that are really into home theater already have such devices.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cliff are the buttons responsive on the remote or slow?My wife will be using the device too so I dont want to have any problems that she may not like......

frogger1980: Did the My HD come with the VGA to component adapter?

are there any other sites that have more information on the MyHD than digitalconnection? I found what I belive to be the Manufacturers site but there really inst much information on it at all!

Excuse these next questions but I have never used Tivo or real PVR stuff before........

so if I hit record on the remote it will start recording the program correct? Even SDTV?

Do you have to hit record then you can pause the live tv?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson

[Bâ€You can FF/REW in a crippled way.â€

I guess telling you that FF/REW will have advanced functions in the next software version is not good enough.

â€Input select, power, aspect ratio, guide, and next file buttons also work.â€

Input select, Power, 0-9 numbers, Audio, Sub-Ch, Mute, Esc (Prev Ch), Ch Up/Down, Volume Up/Down, OK (select), Fav, Aspect Ratio, Play/Pause, Stop, Rew, FF, Prev, Next, HD, and Record buttons all work.

[/b]
Knowing that better FF/REW function is planned is helpful. Of course I would prefer it would work right when I bought it but I won't yell too loud if the new software is released within a reasonable time (4-6 weeks?).

I did forget about the other buttons you listed, sorry.

Knowing that more is possible with a new learning remote is nice, but I would have liked to just use the remote that MyHD came with. My TV and my VCR's remote all work just fine. Why can't MyHD?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
frogger1980: Did the My HD come with the VGA to component adapter?

so if I hit record on the remote it will start recording the program correct? Even SDTV?

Do you have to hit record then you can pause the live tv?
Component is something I consider MyHD does well. My Mits 46805 takes both RGB and Component and I have tried both with MyHD. You can configure MyHD to output either RGB or Component and they both work.

I do run RGB by default as my CRTs are RGB and I see no reason to do the extra conversion but if your TV can only accept Component, MyHD will work with it.

MyHD does provide only a HD-15 VGA style connector but since I was previously driving my Mits with VGA, I already had the adaptor cable and adaptors to go to 5 BNC/RCA connectors.

I don't believe MyHD does a "pause live TV" function like Tivo. I like to record the whole thing and watch it later. I suspect MyHD's hardware prevents it from doing pause live TV.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll chime in. I find the buttons to be responsive enough. Some seem like they couldn't possibly be faster, like when I hit the HD button to switch from windows desktop to full screen 1080i. I would not say response speed is a problem. Unlike other devices I've used like the initial release of UltimateTV.

I didn't get the VGA to component cable with mine. Then again I didn't want one as I chose to go the transcoder route instead. It is not a terribly expensive cable, and I suspect it is something you are better off ordering yourself to get the quality and length you want for your installation.

MyHD doesn't really approach PVR functionality. Think of it closer to a VCR in recording capability. Actually it is better than that due to the TitanTV guide integration. But I'm pretty sure there's no Pause live TV feature.

You can record analog and non-HD digital shows. I record enterprise which isn't HDTV, but the digital signal is cleaner than my analog signal or DirecTV provide. Although the capability is there, I don't think many people actually do analog recording.

I'm very happy with my MyHD, especially as the software continues to be enhanced and Cliff provides a great service on this forum.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see I have to have the vga to component adapter since I dont have RGB or DVI in on my HDTV :(

I think the HiPix does the all he tivo functions but you cant do it from the remote :(

I know someone who has the WinTV-HD but hasnt used it yet (he works at local NBC Station) they are keeping it there for use later when they finally do start broadcasting the HDTV signal. Might have to get with him and try stuff out :). My main needs for a HDTV card are:

SDTV and HDTV display through the same output without having to switch anything around, I just want to be able to change channels and it work.

PVR or recording functions from the remote

Has to come with component (not the 5 connector the 3 connector) It's hard enough to have to justify to my wife having to spend money on the card let alone have to buy an additional cable that I can only find online for $39.00 ;)

I will only be putting it directly out to the TV for the HDTV Content because I actually want to see the Full HDTV at 1080i not scaled down to 480p and I dont wanto to buy a transcoder :( Now if I can slap the ATI dongle on the endo of the pass through cable and t works in addition to the TV out that would just be a bonus :)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€My TV and my VCR's remote all work just fine. Why can't MyHD?â€

I would like to see how well the TV and VCR works if stuffed inside a PC with God only knows what hardware and software is installed that can interfere with its operation.

BTW, If I sold you a prebuilt HTPC like the TV and VCR the remote would work.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so I have some people saying the MyHD does come with the component adapter, and some saying it doesnt......

Which is it? lol

If it doesnt where can I pick up the adapter cheap?

vfrjim: you said the MyHD comes with it, but otthers say it doesnt, so where can I find this adapter for $10?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"ok so I have some people saying the MyHD does come with the component adapter, and some saying it doesnt......"

If you are calling a 15-pin VGA to RGBHV breakout cable an adapter then the answer is no it does not come with MyHD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find pausing live TV to be an important feature. Does anyone know if the missing pause feature in MyHD is a software of hardware issue?

If its a hardware issue, any word on when the next revision from MIT is expected and if pausing live TV will be offered?

Also, is DigitalConnection the only place one can purchase the card?

thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I find pausing live TV to be an important feature. Does anyone know if the missing pause feature in MyHD is a software of hardware issue?â€

It’s not missing cause MyHD never had it. The only HDTV card that supports pausing live TV is the AccessDTV card.

â€If its a hardware issue, any word on when the next revision from MIT is expected and if pausing live TV will be offered?â€

There are no hardware revisions expected from MIT or any other company. Some people use dual systems to record on one and playback on the other. They even mix cards like HiPix and MyHD. What would be cool is the ability to install two cards in a single PC.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
ok so I have some people saying the MyHD does come with the component adapter, and some saying it doesnt......

Which is it? lol

If it doesnt where can I pick up the adapter cheap?

vfrjim: you said the MyHD comes with it, but otthers say it doesnt, so where can I find this adapter for $10?
Quote:
Has to come with component (not the 5 connector the 3 connector) It's hard enough to have to justify to my wife having to spend money on the card let alone have to buy an additional cable that I can only find online for $39.00
nintari-

There is no 'adapter' for any of the HD tuner boards. Each of them can be set to output a component-video signal, but they all do it through the same ("VGA"-type) connector that can carry an RGB signal, as far as I know-the HiPix works this way at least. You then just use one of the "VGA breakout" cables-with the five connectors-but ignore the black and gray ones. Potentially, you could also still have a Windows desktop fed from your Radeon's component 'dongle' through the HDTV board's pass-through feature, but you would need another adapter or cable to go from the ATI output into the cable that the HD board uses for loop-through.

--My 600th post-in just over two years on AVS Forum. This one, like the first, is about the HiPix--

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
I think the HiPix does the all he tivo functions but you cant do it from the remote :(
I have a HiPix board and it's like having a digital VCR as opposed to a Tivo like PVR. Can't record and watch a recording at the same time. Can't pause or change anything while the unit is "locked" into recording something. The latest software revisions make this board very usable in a "only if you are technically literate" sort of way. My wife won't touch it but if you spend the time customizing the hotkeys and playing with settings, then the output is magnificent and the software if pretty stable. I blame most of my lockup's and issues on Windows XP. I leave it running (never hibernating) all the time and it seems to be the most stable if you leave it displaying a live channel as opposed to the Windows desktop.

I appreciate everyone's efforts in helping me find a suitable HD OTA video board.

Justin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.