AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room is 9ft high, 15ft wide and 18ft long.

Is it trying to cram too much into this space to have soffit, riser, stage, stage curtains, sconces and columns?

I ask because it seems as though the "larger" rooms have a lot of detail and architectural interesting features while smaller rooms tend towards simplicity (still very attractive rooms though just not as "busy").

Any thoughts? Pictures would be worth, as they say, a thousand words!

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
:) No I definitely think you are fine. In some ways the details if not overdone add life and interest regardless of the size.

That size room would allow you two rows of three or four theater recliners, nice riser height for sight lines a screen 9' wide or so screen ,soffits ,columns ,the works.

My old theater had three rows was 26' long 15' 8" wide 9'2' ceiling.( see my link below for comparison to your space).

I think you could still get away with it even in a smaller space yet so go for it! :)

Art

·
Registered
623 Posts
My room is only about a foot and a half longer than yours and while I wish my back row wasn't so close to the wall, the overall result is excellent for the size.

Dan

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can definitely do something very nice in that space. We've dome some great rooms that have been 17 - 20 feet long. The 9' ceiling is a great bonus. It will allieviate that "closed in" feeling you so often get when doing a riser and a ceiling mounted projector in a room with short ceilings. You can probably even have the rear seating row off the wall a little bit and still have room for both rows.

SteveF

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Absolutely no problem with those kinds of things. Just plan accordingly and keep them in scale to the room. You wouldn't want 2' tall soffits for example in a 9' tall room where in a 12' tall room, they would look more proportionate.

Same for the columns. Plan accordingly. Consider the size of the surrounds to be mounted inside to make sure they don't end up so massive looking that they look out of place in the room.

The riser should not be a problem - just watch the rear row seating position to get it away from the wall a bit if at all possible. Potentially use a slightly smaller screen (maybe 92-100") to allow proper viewing angles coupled with more optimal seating positions acoustically.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My room is the exact same measurements with only an 8' ceiling. While I only did one row of four HT recliners for seating I did include a stage, corner enclosures for the front speakers, four columns to hide the surrounds, and built-in equipment rack.

In our case, 90% of the time we do not need seating for more than four, and when we do we have six comfortable beanbag-like chairs for overflow. However, if our family consisted of more than four I might have gone with compromises to get in another row.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.