AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a new home. The south wall and the west wall are completely glass. The height of these walls is 20 feet. The entertainment wall will be the North wall. My concern is that the room will be very bright, and if this kind of lighting situation will work for the plasma TV. I am concerned that it might be too bright in the room and if a CRT TV might be more appropriate for this setting.

I don't think it looks appropriate to have drapes on these kinds of windows. I am thinking about having a slight tint and UV protection to the windows.

Any and all thoughts about this would be appreciated.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,290 Posts
The room will likely be too bright during the day for critical viewing regardless of what technology you use. Plasmas are capable of putting out quite a bit of light, but that's usually at the expense of proper calibration. A CRT based display might be better for this application, but I doubt it would be that much better.

For casual viewing, I think you'll find that modern plasmas put out enough light. The Pioneer Elite line of plasmas is particularly noted for high quality at brighter light output levels.

At night the thing you need to worry about is reflections. The display will put out enough light that it will reflect back from the inside of the windows behind you and you may find that produces an annoying secondary reflection off the glass of the display, just as if you had a lamp lit behind you that was reflecting back off the display.

--Bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
What Bob Pariseau says is so true.

CRT base tube sets are best but may still have issue. Rear projection sets are sold in a cave for display in stores for a reason. Front projection will not work. The NEC are suppose to have non reflective screens and are pretty bright. I would make sure you have a Good return policy worked out in advance of your purchase. I have a Panny 6UY and the reflectins will bother some people. I have been able to manage the reflection with my application by pulling drapes closed. I love my Panny 6UY I am a black level freak but wonder if the Pioneer would have been a better choice with daytime viewing. Good luck

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm gonna say that's too much light.

My east wall is mostly glass (~20ft like yours), my plasma (42 panny) sits at a right angle to this wall. I face south to view it (18ft from it). On sunny weekend mornings watching TV is a futile endeavor. Even if I crank it up torch mode like. But noon it's ok as the room has fallen into shadow.

Reflections in the morning are especially distracting.

Your going to have the oposite. After noon, it'll get worse & worse on sunny days.

I'd consider wood blinds or something motorized & tre cool. Failing that move the TV to a media room that can be darkened easily.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sounds like my dream home. Congrat.

NEC has the anti glare model (commercial use for stores, etc.) in addition to the anti reflective model (for home use). Anti glare might help. I wouldn't mind putting thick and nice ceiling to floor drapes for light control (with remote control open and close, nice). But there will be times when you want to watch TV at day time without closing all the drapes. Just crank up the contrast/brightness.

I would definitely buy from somewhere with a good return policy and be prepared to return it if it doesn't work out. Still, I wouldn't get a CRT...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
see my gallery----------------------------------/\\

The plasma is on the North wall, and the South wall is the front door with smaller windows.

The sun is out front all day, so I only get direct sunlight when it's very low on the horizon, first thing in the AM.

You're gonna have sun busting in the 20' wall of windows all day long.

Get some serious tint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.