AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this site and have some confusion regarding how to properly amplify speakers.

I have all klipsch speakers and a denon receiver in a 7.1 system. Some new some old.

Denon AVR-2807 110x7w rms

RF-82II 150w rms

RB-81 150w rms

RC-35 125w rms

RB-61 100w rms

I have read all over these forums trying to figure what's the proper amplification for my speakers to no avail. Unfortunately I have been exposed to the extremely expensive McIntosh world of amplification and have heard interesting things. Apparently McIntosh is very conservative in their watts/channel rms. I'm not looking at their new equipment and would welcome some other product recommendations if provided. I have seen the mc2105 100watts/ be rated at closer to 150/ channel. But my real question is, is it better to over or under amplify speakers? I read its better to take the RMS and double the output for an amplifier selection but also that you dont want to over amplify as to not hurt the speakers. I need some clarification!

Thank you

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
+1. Your receiver is actually overpowered for your application. That's fine, though, it has a volume control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts