AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG, I need to stop researching & finally pull the trigger and start recording!

Simple question: forgetting about cost (the $$ difference between the two isn't that much)

WHICH WOULD YOU BUY:

(a) Canon Vixia HF M40 -- new in box [CamcorderInfo.com rating 9.2]

or

(b) Canon Vixia HF M52 [CamcorderInfo.com rating 8.8]

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos100  /t/1415272/too-much-research-has-made-me-camcorder-crazy#post_22125029

OMG, I need to stop researching & finally pull the trigger and start recording! .....
I think you have it figured out. The camera does not matter that much. Any $500 to $1000 camcorder from the major manufacturers will make good video.

You might consider ignoring the ratings and see what feels good in your hands. Mine are big and I have trouble with small cameras. On one, I had to glue an extension on the record button so that my fat finger could get it started!

Good luck and have fun!

Bill

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your on a budget go for the M40 , If it doesn't matter go for the M50 or M52 . The M52 has a built in 32-gig HD and the M50 has 8-gig built-in and the M40 has a 16-gig built-in . If your doing just recording for a hobby and not as a Pro then any of those three will work for you . The M50 has a 10x digital zoom but options of 40x and 200x zoom . I hardley ever use the 200x zoom but the 40x is really good . The 200x is a little too much for a really good focus but i have not been out to the ocean or mountain areas yet to test that part . The M52 & M50 have Wi-Fi ability but you can disable that if you wish to which in my case i have cause i just don't want to use it at the moment .

I chose Canon because of the name and Quality of the product . I had a Sony HDR 260 and i took it back cause it had too much CA (Chromatic Aberration ) for my taste . Anythin bright had a purple halo around the edges and that is not acceptable to me . Sony told me it had to do with adjusting the aperture ..... , has nothing to do with the aperture . It's all in the Glass optics and that is what Canon is known for , the best glass on the market . Good luck tho with what ever you choose . Just remember you get what you pay for . And as Bill mentioned see what you like in your hands best . Go to BestBuy or a local camera store that carries either one and test it out . Thats what i did and i finally came home with a M50 . I have another thread here on the M52 , M50 and M500 i started and i have alot of sample images and video i took so check it out .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts