Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I finally joined the club of home theater system owners this weekend, well sort of. I've been reading this forum for a while to learn how to put together my first home theater system. I was actually for now just shopping for receiver and speakers, so this is what I got:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600 - $299

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 7 - $584

Center: Paradigm CC-370 - $314

Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370 - $559

Sub: Paradigm PDR-12 - $377

This is all going to go in our living room, which is more or less 13x13. So far I've got everything but the center and fronts since they were out of stock, should arrive hopefully next week. But anyway, as I was unpacking the stuff and connecting what I could, I started thinking that the surround speakers and sub looked maybe too big for the room size. Is there such a thing as too much speaker for the room? Should I be regretting spending more than I might actually need? Do you think I should downgrade to maybe monitor 3s or 5s and ADP-170s for example? I'd like to hear your expert opinions. And by the way, do you think I got a good deal on the equipment? The above prices are before tax.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Too much speaker for a room? Never!

Seriously, the main problem you would encounter with speakers that are too big for the room is where planar speakers actually block such a large portion of the room that back wall reflections and reduce the soundstaging capability. I am currently experiencing that in my set-up and were it not for the much better bass and lower distortion at high db spl output, I would be running my smaller speakers as my mains.

In fact, I do by all standards have too much speaker for my room at its current size and I can't think of who would disagree. I still am happy with them. I think that with direct radiators you would have less of a problem.

Or you could be asking if you are really just in overkill land. I can't answer that for you, but if you are, welcome to the neighborhood.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Javster,

Just my 2 cents but unless taken to extremes I don't believe you can have too much speaker for a room. Higher quality speakers capable of higher output will sound much better while being driven at modest levels so as to be tolerable in a small room than will smaller speakers being driven to their maximum output to achieve the same volume level.

Your biggest challenge is likely to be related to the acoustics of the room and finding speaker placement that isn't going to create too many reflections (esp. your mains off the back wall).

As to the pricing and your specific components, I am not familiar with these though I am sure there are many others out there who are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.