AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the jvc rs46, but think i am coming into throw issues. Thee throw would turn out to be 11 ft give or take a few inches. I had wanted a 120in diagonal screen but it looks like this isn't an option with this projector. Anyone else run into this problem? There is no way of adjusting the throw distance either and my couch back directly up to a bay window and the projector would be ceiling mounted in front of the window. The screen would be motorized and come down in front of our fireplace covering our tv, as this is also the only option. Small ranch house. The only other option i really saw was the benq, but thought since i am doing this i might as well get the jvc.

Robert

·
Registered
586 Posts
For the RS46 you need 11.8766ft to project a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen.

You can use a first surface mirror to increase the effective throw distance to allow you some better placement flexibility/screen size options.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Just go a tad smaller on the screen size. Multiply the WIDTH of the screen to find the closest throw distance that will fill the screen. It is a good idea to not go as close as possible but give yourself a few extra inches of throw distance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check out the lens option as a mirror would not work. That would be blocking the window when not in use. Below is a picture of why the projector would be ceiling mounted. Those windows would then be treated with the appropriate curtains. The other picture shows the fireplace. The motorized screen would come down in front of the fire place and entertainment shelf since from on center the screen extends 26in off of the mantel.

That gives me the throw of around 11 give or take and i know the length of the jvc unit is 18 1/2in. From the from of the screen where it should be to the back wall will be 12ft 9 in. Then take into account the length of the jvc unit and that brings me to a throw of 11.25 in and that is leaving room for nothing. Tats against the back wall which i would prefer not to do. Please don't hate me on my setup currently.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Don't dismiss the mirror option so quickly... if you only need to add a foot or two of throw distance the mirror would not have to be very big. I'm guessing 6 inches high or so... but I'd have to be home to verify.

Do this to test:

1) Figure out how much throw distance you need to get the screen size you want... If 120" then 11.8766ft as above (round up to 12ft to be safer).

2) Determine how much throw distance you have available from where the mirror would be placed... for easy math let's use your 11ft number.

3) Turn on the projector and put a piece of paper 1ft (12ft-11ft) in front of the lens at a 45degree angle (center of paper aligned with center of the lens)

4) The size of the image on the paper is how big your mirror would need to be. (again round up, or add a bit to be safe).

Try that and see how big the mirror might need to be. It's possible that it might be small enough to fit above your windows still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts