AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally considering a Monivision 32 -36" 4:3 direct view crt for my room but am now reconsidering a front projector -- probably the Panasonic PTL-300U or the Infocus X1. The room is only 19x12 ft though. Is this too small of room for a projector? I've got an area of about 90" horizontal to project to. The room also has 2 46" egress windows which I hope to black out since you can't see anything out them anyway.

I was planning on an HTPC for this system with H3D and a MyHD MDP-120. My primary viewing source has been DishNetwork but will now be supplemented with HDTV sources and the occasional DVD.

Should I be looking at projectors or stick with the CRT? My current TV is an old Toshiba CX32F60 from 11/96.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a similar sized room and am plannin on the l300u.. from what I've seen and read it should be great up to like 6-8 ft diagonal

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Minimum viewing distance is estimated at 11.5' (138") and extending to 17' (204"). The room is not setup the same now as it will be if I go with the projector so these are best estimates.

·
Registered
499 Posts
my room is small than that about 11x15, and the panny l300 works fine, granted I can't fit a ton of people in there comfortably about 4 but it works. You should have no problem, if you can control the lighting and properly mount with a decent screen, enjoy.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
King, my room is almost identical to yours (10'x14'). What size screen are you using? How far do you sit back? Is screendoor an issue? (I assume not, with smoothvision).

·
Registered
28 Posts
The "theater" part of my room is 8'4" wide by 15' long. It works great. I project an 8' wide picture and with the couch against the back wall I'm 14' from the screen. I'm not gonna host any movie watching parties, but for me and my wife and 2 kids it's perfect.

You've got plenty of room. Go for it!

Richard

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 12' width of your room will accommodate any size of a screen you (reasonably) want, and still provide a plenty of side space for comfortably placing a pair of floorstanding or bookshelf front speakers.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I will (shortly, construction will be done on the 6th!) be using an L300U to project an 82" diagonal 16x9 screen. I'm at the limits for everything (seating distance just barely 1.5x screen width). From what I've read this should work pretty well. I say go for it! I'll post results once everthing is finished.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You have enough space for two theaters:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in a 19X12 room with a 300 shooting on a 92" wide screen and it's perfect. The sitting area is as far back as the furniture will go (to the wall) 17-18ft. from screen.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
you might want to consider having two rows. I have a 25' x 11.6' room and have three rows of seating.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx
you might want to consider having two rows. I have a 25' x 11.6' room and have three rows of seating.
I've got a similar space in my unfinished basement that I'm considering for the new home of Scooterplex 2.0, and I've gotta ask: Do you or your guests feel like you're sitting in a shoebox?? My big concern is that the people in the back row are going to feel like they're looking down a tunnel to the projection screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.