Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Here's my delima. I have got my HT setup just right, and there are a few movies that just look terrible on it. My settings have been fine, until I put in "Saving Private Ryan" (an anamorphic widescreen version), and all of the "band of brothers" dvd's.

So, is there something different about these cd's?? I know that band of brothers was shot for HBO. Will I have trouble with war movies or something??? I have tried to get my projector up for them with different settings, but still can't get it to look decent. I've tried the brightness, contrast, and under "kelvin" the white balance and kelvin temp. It is just SOOO bright, and when I turn down the b&c, then I can't see details in the less bright scenes. Maybe I've set something wrong, or maybe I have a cheap scaler, I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe that's just the way it is, and I just need to "get used" to it. :)

I have a

Projector NEC XG-751

Scaler Focus Enhancements Quadscan Pro

dvd player pioneer (not sure of model off the top of my head)

Screen 1.3 gain and 100" horizontal

thanks for any help

dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I also notice intensely bright scenes on my direct view CRT (hey, my sony's being shipped as we speak :)) when watching band of brothers... I think it could have been the way it was shot... some film boy thought it would add to the artistic effect maybe?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I'm glad it wasnt' just me. How bout saving private ryan, did you have the same trouble with it??

dan

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Stupid question, but a starting point:

how did you go about calibrating (if at all?) your projector?

You should get the G2 and everything set right, and use a test disk like Avia through your video chain to calibrate. This will allow you to calibrate for a correct black level, a good white level, etc.

As for shadow details, keep in mind that preserving shadow details in mixed scenes, versus preserving a truly complete black-out is a tradeoff. If you use a gray+moving bars type pattern on Avia, you will have an elevated black level which will allos you to preserve shadow details better, but at the cost of not a complete screen blackout. IF you use the full black + moving bars pattern found in the advanced pattern, you can set for a complete black-out, but you may lose black level details to "black holes" more, due to the poor ANSI CR.

I don't even know why I wrote out that long an explanation, but basically my question was to see if you'd calibrated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The answer is no. I haven't calibrated. I have a calibration disc coming, but haven't gotten it yet. I am so new to CRT's that I squeak, so I really doing't know where to start, or honestly what a G2 even is, though i've read about a G2 pot or something. Honestly the picture looks great on all movies except for those two. I was hoping maybe I was just doing something noticably wrong. I will check into it when my disc shows up, hopefully it will be prety self explanitory, as otherwise I'll be more than modestly lost, I mainly bought it to calibrate my sound system, but I know it has video calibration on it too. Unfortunately there's not a lot of other crt users I know of here in montana.....

thanks for the reply

dan

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
You have a nec. Let me add to myu post that you should NOT touch the pots. I know absolutely nothing about NECs, except this one thing.

You really do need to use the calibration disc to get white and black levels set properly through your video chain. Only then will you know whether the "problems" you are seeing are due to your video chain being wrong, or more likely just part of the artistic intent of the particular film.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. I will put off my blame issue until I can try to calibrate. :)

thanks again

dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
p.s. I've got the "sound and vision home theater setup (2002)" coming for the calibration. I did some research and it sounded like it was the most beginner friendly.

dan

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I don't have experience with that disc, however it is to my knowledge a slightly stripped down version of Avia, which is my favorite. I only know DVE and Avia personally. You should be fine with that disc.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
There is nothing wrong or cheap about the scaler you're using. You should easily be able to adjust those 2 pictures and get satisfactory results by "just" adjusting your Quadscan's controls, if not, you have something really setup wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, I haven't been able to get the glare out of the movies with the projector B&C or the settings on the quadscan, but I will play with them more and also try to calibrate correctly when my disc comes in.

thanks for the input

dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.