AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with some Exodus Audio 461 surrounds ( all matching XBLsquared motor technology engineered by Dan Wiggins and Kevin Haskins of DIYCable)which I admit I modified all the speakers considerably.

We have been listening to them for several months now but with a crappola under $1000 Pioneer receiver while awaiting "the" receiver and I was concerned they werent going to be up to the task of handling the room size, then Friday, Fedex finally showed up with the 115lb gargantuan Denon 5805 with EQ mic .

I ran out to get the speaker stands and while hitting every High end Hi Fi shop in 60 square miles I cooled my excitement by listening to some $5000-$15,000 speakers to get some comparison un scientific as it was and I am sure the gear driving these wallet drainers were no slouch either, infact I wont mention any brand names but the amps and speaker combined were well over $20,000 and it all souded pretty good considering the fairly small rooms as compared to the one we are using.

After finding 6 speaker stands between 10 different places :roll: I headed back and did'nt get to much but 2 channel that night considering the manual is 200 pages and the back of the receiver looks like a Space Shuttle cockpit as well as our subwoofers being on some airplane of UPS so I knew rushing in was sort of a waste of time except for familiarizing with the Denon. I had everything funked up in the 7.1 setup and had some crossover problems on the center that was causing protection mode woes , I gave up and slept on it thinking " You know, that darn 2 channel sounded pretty tight but ....."

Got up this morning and started from scratch and found my center speaker trouble and re-EQed the system with the auto EQ of the Denon which takes a while but is a truly amazing thing, I am not sure how much pixy dust they shoved into that Audessey EQing but it is spectacular. Set all the Bi-amping and such carefully and piddled with SACD and DD and PLII and..... and..... for awhile and fired up the finished product an was completely blown away even without subwoofers, the room seemed 100' wide and infinity long, not to mention crystal clear in a construction zone with no curtains, carpet, treatments and tools and unscrewed together risers and basically crap thrown about , well sort of like this
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...d/P1010015.jpg

I seriously about shat myself in excitement the next 8 hours listening to all sorts of CDs, SACDs and DVDs while reading up on the zillions of options the Denon has.

Dan and Kevin I am truly amazed and I am sure its going to get unbelievable when the subs show up. I am one ultra happy camper, same goes with Denon and Audessey
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...d/P8050061.jpg

·
Registered
313 Posts
WOW!!!... JUST WOW!! Im going to get An LCR kit pretty soon to try out for my center ch. Hopefully I like it and buy two more. Can you give any tips as to building this speaker? Is there any thing thats particulary hard when buiding this kit?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkRm7200
WOW!!!... JUST WOW!! Im going to get An LCR kit pretty soon to try out for my center ch. Hopefully I like it and buy two more. Can you give any tips as to building this speaker? Is there any thing thats particulary hard when buiding this kit?
Triple WOW !

As far as tips I could give you hundreds but whether they are right or not I dont know, I altered mine fairly substantially as you can see. Nothing hard if you've done this before but the crossovers are pretty big but they have new PCBs at DIYCable( Kevin Haskins) and Kyles place depending on who you will be dealing with, I have met Kevin and hes a great guy and we have spent hours and hours conversing even though hes ultra busy he is always willing to talk.

Just plan well for the crossovers, I externally mounted mine for super tweaking and how I would love to have the local Hi End shop bring their mega money Speakers over and have a Hometheater as well as Audiophile shootout, it would be very interesting and forgive me for being slightly hyper but I spent a long while in nirvana today

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.