Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've been a reader of HD DVD forums for quite some time now, but have mostly refrained from posting. I've always been an HD DVD supporter but I never purchased one because I fit into the mainstream consumer category (generally I am not an early adopter due to price). Today however I took the plunge and picked up a Toshiba HD-A3 from Sears and I wanted to share my experiences and put in my $0.02 as to where HD DVD is falling short.

First let me start out by saying that I fully intended to buy the HD DVD player from Sears from the get-go because I had a $100 Sears gift card. However I saw the postings about the great price that Circuit City had on the A3 for $100. I started my journey by visiting our local Circuit City here in Modesto, CA. They had a very nice living room recliner setup of Blu-Ray with a nice Samsung plasma setup in the front which in my opinion gets lots of attention (in all honesty the picture quality was fantastic). Further in the back of the store there were also two end-caps, one with Blu-Ray, and one with HD DVD. Both were setup very poorly and didn't scream "BUY ME". The HD DVD end cap had the Toshiba A20 for $199 (or $149 I can't remember). I looked everywhere for the A3, A30, A35 but could not find even a single thing about HD DVD other than that one end cap in the back of the store. The sales associates were all standing around talking and making small talk with the managers, and not even acknowledging the customers. This type of service reminds me of how Best Buy used to be many many years ago (I would like to add that Best Buy has improved a lot over the years). I quickly left the store.

I went over to Sears next to see if I could price match the HD-A3 with Circuity City's price even though I did not see any there. Again at Sears the only thing I found with HD DVD was one of the big screen projection TVs had a A3 hooked up below it (although all of the TVs were hooked up to one main signal playing the same thing advertising both formats). If I did not know specifically what I was looking for I would have never noticed anything HD DVD at Sears. In all fairness, Sears did not heavily advertise Blu-Ray either. I finally got ahold of a sales associate and asked them if they would price match Circuit City and he said he would have to call first to make sure they were in stock. After calling Circuit City they confirmed that they were in stock for $100.04 (why the heck are they not on the floor if they are in stock???). Sears gladly price matched plus took off 10% of the difference, so my total was $95.04 plus tax. The HD-A3 that Sears gave me contains The Bourne Identity and 300 (not the newer boxes with two Bourne movies). I was happy as a clam to get my next-gen player with 7 free movies all for $95!

I next made a stop at Best Buy to take advantage of the BOGO's they had advertised. I picked up Transformers SE, Bourne Supremacy, Shrek The 3rd, and BackDraft (2 @ $29.99, 2 @ 24.99 BOGO). I noticed at Best Buy that both Blu-Ray and HD DVD had equal end caps in good areas of the store. The Blu-Ray actually looked much nicer on the Samsung TV, but I'm pretty sure the HD DVD display was not hooked up right because it looked grainy. As far as movie selection, HD DVD had 3 sections of movies and Blu-Ray had 6 sections. Many of the HD DVD's were stuffed in the section sideways with their face not showing because it looked like there was not enough room in the section for all of the movies. However the Blu-Ray's 6 sections of shelving all had the cover art showing because they had ample room. There is definitely a bias there.

In conclusion, Toshiba really needs to do a better job of getting their reps out to these stores to make sure that their product is being promoted. At Circuit City it was as if HD DVD does not even exist. Sears did a very poor job of pushing either of the two formats. And Best Buy's HD DVD display could really use someone to fine tune it so the video does not look like crap. If I was a regular consumer that did not research this stuff on the internet I would definitely think that HD DVD is inferior to Blu-Ray based on Best Buy's end caps. And based on the other two stores I wouldn't even know it exists. I have read posts of other users who say that nobody is shopping on the aisle that has the HD DVD and Blu-Ray titles when they go to the store, my experience was the same today while at Best Buy. I was on the aisle for HD DVD/BR movies for about 5-minutes and not one person even passed through. And judging by the fact that Transformers wasn't working for the BOGO at the register and the manager was suprised I would say not too many people took advantage of the sale. To top it off the movie prices are way too expensive unless you buy online or search for BOGO's. HD DVD can really pick up some traction if they price HD DVDs around $19.99, and even better if they could start putting out the TL Twin discs at that price.

I hope nobody takes offense thinking that I am bashing HD DVD in any way. I am simply stating my experience of purchasing my first high def player today. I might add that I did my part to increase the figures for HD DVD today by purchasing a new player plus 4 movies from the shelf

·
Banned
188 Posts
Nice user name there Mr. "manhole".....LOL.

Your story pretty much is being mimic'd in our town...HD DVD lives in the shadows..honestly I think most big box stores are looking to rid themselves of HD DVD and want to move forward with Blu Ray...it is prominently and in many cases beautifully displayed in many local stores.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll second John Rider's comments. It's almost the exact same scenario here in the northeast US where I live...uncaring employees, questionable store layouts, and obvious BD bias at the big box stores.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congratulations on the player and I agree that Toshiba needs to step it up in the marketing. They said that this year they will spend more in advertising. Hopefully this means buying more display shelves at retailers like BB and CC.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12952863

Congratulations on the player and I agree that Toshiba needs to step it up in the marketing. They said that this year they will spend more in advertising. Hopefully this means buying more display shelves at retailers like BB and CC.

Kinda hard to do when Best Buy advertises the players for double the cost

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well I went all in this week. Went from an A3 with a 34" 1080i CRT, and now I find myself with an A30, Sharp BD Player, and a 42" Sharp 1080p LCD.

I like both formats, I even give the thumbs up to HD DVD, but I must admit everything blu-ray "looks" cooler. Heck even the player startup, whereas with the A3/A30 ( I can't speak for the other models) all you see is a small HD-DVD logo on the bottom corner, when I fired up the Sharp the screen became all different shades of blue and the BD logo was very prominent in the dead center.

Sometimes being flashy can take you far...

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhole /forum/post/12951782

Hey folks,

I've been a reader of HD DVD forums for quite some time now, but have mostly refrained from posting. I've always been an HD DVD supporter but I never purchased one because I fit into the mainstream consumer category (generally I am not an early adopter due to price). Today however I took the plunge and picked up a Toshiba HD-A3 from Sears and I wanted to share my experiences and put in my $0.02 as to where HD DVD is falling short.

First let me start out by saying that I fully intended to buy the HD DVD player from Sears from the get-go because I had a $100 Sears gift card. However I saw the postings about the great price that Circuit City had on the A3 for $100. I started my journey by visiting our local Circuit City here in Modesto, CA. They had a very nice living room recliner setup of Blu-Ray with a nice Samsung plasma setup in the front which in my opinion gets lots of attention (in all honesty the picture quality was fantastic). Further in the back of the store there were also two end-caps, one with Blu-Ray, and one with HD DVD. Both were setup very poorly and didn't scream "BUY ME". The HD DVD end cap had the Toshiba A20 for $199 (or $149 I can't remember). I looked everywhere for the A3, A30, A35 but could not find even a single thing about HD DVD other than that one end cap in the back of the store. The sales associates were all standing around talking and making small talk with the managers, and not even acknowledging the customers. This type of service reminds me of how Best Buy used to be many many years ago (I would like to add that Best Buy has improved a lot over the years). I quickly left the store.

I went over to Sears next to see if I could price match the HD-A3 with Circuity City's price even though I did not see any there. Again at Sears the only thing I found with HD DVD was one of the big screen projection TVs had a A3 hooked up below it (although all of the TVs were hooked up to one main signal playing the same thing advertising both formats). If I did not know specifically what I was looking for I would have never noticed anything HD DVD at Sears. In all fairness, Sears did not heavily advertise Blu-Ray either. I finally got ahold of a sales associate and asked them if they would price match Circuit City and he said he would have to call first to make sure they were in stock. After calling Circuit City they confirmed that they were in stock for $100.04 (why the heck are they not on the floor if they are in stock???). Sears gladly price matched plus took off 10% of the difference, so my total was $95.04 plus tax. The HD-A3 that Sears gave me contains The Bourne Identity and 300 (not the newer boxes with two Bourne movies). I was happy as a clam to get my next-gen player with 7 free movies all for $95!

I next made a stop at Best Buy to take advantage of the BOGO's they had advertised. I picked up Transformers SE, Bourne Supremacy, Shrek The 3rd, and BackDraft (2 @ $29.99, 2 @ 24.99 BOGO). I noticed at Best Buy that both Blu-Ray and HD DVD had equal end caps in good areas of the store. The Blu-Ray actually looked much nicer on the Samsung TV, but I'm pretty sure the HD DVD display was not hooked up right because it looked grainy. As far as movie selection, HD DVD had 3 sections of movies and Blu-Ray had 6 sections. Many of the HD DVD's were stuffed in the section sideways with their face not showing because it looked like there was not enough room in the section for all of the movies. However the Blu-Ray's 6 sections of shelving all had the cover art showing because they had ample room. There is definitely a bias there.

In conclusion, Toshiba really needs to do a better job of getting their reps out to these stores to make sure that their product is being promoted. At Circuit City it was as if HD DVD does not even exist. Sears did a very poor job of pushing either of the two formats. And Best Buy's HD DVD display could really use someone to fine tune it so the video does not look like crap. If I was a regular consumer that did not research this stuff on the internet I would definitely think that HD DVD is inferior to Blu-Ray based on Best Buy's end caps. And based on the other two stores I wouldn't even know it exists. I have read posts of other users who say that nobody is shopping on the aisle that has the HD DVD and Blu-Ray titles when they go to the store, my experience was the same today while at Best Buy. I was on the aisle for HD DVD/BR movies for about 5-minutes and not one person even passed through. And judging by the fact that Transformers wasn't working for the BOGO at the register and the manager was suprised I would say not too many people took advantage of the sale. To top it off the movie prices are way too expensive unless you buy online or search for BOGO's. HD DVD can really pick up some traction if they price HD DVDs around $19.99, and even better if they could start putting out the TL Twin discs at that price.

I hope nobody takes offense thinking that I am bashing HD DVD in any way. I am simply stating my experience of purchasing my first high def player today. I might add that I did my part to increase the figures for HD DVD today by purchasing a new player plus 4 movies from the shelf

When is the sale over on the A3 from Circuit City? on the website it's listing at 149.99.

I was also at the BB in Modesto today. Had to exchange my Yamaha 661 for one that had a remote control (long story).

We had our Pioneer 5080 installed today and I could not be happier! This plasma is worth every penny.

I need to get a HD player and upgrade my Direct Tv to HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca_ghost /forum/post/12953113

When is the sale over on the A3 from Circuit City? on the website it's listing at 149.99.

As far as I know the A3's are on clearance at Circuit City until they run out of stock. I have heard that the clearance is either to get rid of the units that have "300" in the box, or to get rid of HD DVD completely. I don't think we will know for sure until later in the week. Just go into the store and ask them to bring you one from the back because they do not have any on the sales floor.

By the way, I just finished watching "300" and it looked amazing!

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhole /forum/post/12953347

As far as I know the A3's are on clearance at Circuit City until they run out of stock. I have heard that the clearance is either to get rid of the units that have "300" in the box, or to get rid of HD DVD completely. I don't think we will know for sure until later in the week. Just go into the store and ask them to bring you one from the back because they do not have any on the sales floor.

By the way, I just finished watching "300" and it looked amazing!

Circuitcity's website does not show the clearance price, only in the stores.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12952863

Tvpredictions.com has an article stating that there will be a HD DVD commercial during the Super Bowl and the Blu decided not to run one. We'll see what happens. Everyone watches the Super Bowl commercials, but if it isn't a good one, everyone forgets quickly because there are so many.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.