Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I've been following this group nearly everyday since July and this morning I finally did it. Based on all of your recomendations, pictures etc I took the plunge and purchased the NEC LT150.

This will be quite a step up from my 12 year old 19" TV!!

I bought my projector from graybow.com I talked with Marc Tutt who was absolutely wonderful to work with. I told him about all of the prices I found from the internet and he beat them! My price was $2374 including a Da-lite 96" 16x9 screen. I think it's a great deal and I'm sure Marc will do the same if you are still looking for this unit. Call him at 1-800-900-8143 (Not affifiliated just satisfied)

Now my next step is a DVD player. I have a Sony that I bought a year ago but I want a progressive scan and was thinking about the Panasonic RP56. - Any objections to this unit? Is there something else I should buy that's better??

(Yes I know whatcha'll think about HTPC - maybe in a few months)

Thanks for all of your recomendation and past advice.

Chris

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Based on comments here on the forum, I think you are on the right track. That Panasonic should be a great player.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Corrie P:
That is a heck of a GOOD deal. $2374 including a screen, WOW. Is that a new LT150?
New in the box from NEC. And the company I bought from has been around for some 20 years so it's not a fly by night internet company...

Here's an excerpt of the initial e-mail from the rep

>Chris,

>I worked the numbers and I can give you the projector for >the $2250.00 price and pass the screen along at $124.00. >The screen is a Da-lite 92" diagonal in a HDTV or 16:9 >aspect. This pricing is a little below the pricing I give >to my large resellers.....

That's why I jumped on this deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered and received my LT150 last week for $2283, no screen. I wish I had called the same guy you did. I wonder if he can give me that kinda deal on a screen? I'm going to call him to get my screen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You may want to consider the Panasonic RP91 DVD player because it will scale 4:3 DVDs to fit your 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Welcome to the Grant Smyth appreciation club!

The RP56 is a nice unit. I have one and the picture is very close to my HTPC in my opinion without any of the hassle.

You don't need the RP91 to scale to 16:9. You can do this with the projector if you use the component outs on the RP56 and select cinema mode. You would, however, need the RP91 to scale 16:9 to the 4:3 panel if you want to use an anamorphic lens.

--Les

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Signal:
You may want to consider the Panasonic RP91 DVD player because it will scale 4:3 DVDs to fit your 16:9 screen.
from what I have read here and on other boards the RP56 offers a better picture. The features on the RP91 are very tempting but overall I want the best picture. I will eventually go HTPC but not for awhile. Am I wrongabout this? How is the picture with the RP91? Any other models to consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Chris - the picture from the RP91 in progressive mode is excellent. The RP91 falls down with deinterlaced material because of the Genesis chip it uses.

The RP56 uses the Sage/Farjouda chip and handles a wider variety of material better.

OTOH the RP91 will allow you to zoom nonanamorphic movies into progressive mode. It also has more settings for tweaking the picture to your liking.

I have the RP91 and my brother has the RP56. To be honest both pictures are comparable and excellent.

It depends on which features you are most interested in.

The scaling ability of the RP91 was the deciding factor for me. DVDA is a nice bonus but I have not used it yet.

Finally the RP91 has analog pass through for 5.1. I use this to pass the audio to my receiver. I run my audio in analog mode as I prefer the clarity and dynamics of PCM over the bitstream signal.

Not sure if the RP56 has this - tend to doubt it though.

Hope this helps - in any event welcome to the club!

You're gonna love it.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mojo,

Great deal on the LT150 and screen!

19" TV to 100" widescreen - Man are you in for a treat! I have an HTPC and the picture is great. Watched Lost in Space last night and the space scenes were incredible. The wife commented "I don't remember seeing any of this in the movie" and we have watched it a number of times on a 50" RPTV. The experience does not compare.

Can you email me the name of the store and location and perhaps a website of the place you purchased from.

Also, curious what the street prices are for the Panasonc RP56 and RP91? I have a friend without a PC that would like to get into FPTV.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired:
Mojo,

Can you email me the name of the store and location and perhaps a website of the place you purchased from.

Also, curious what the street prices are for the Panasonc RP56 and RP91? I have a friend without a PC that would like to get into FPTV.
I bought from Graybow.com - 1-800-900-8143 ask for Marc Tutt

I'm sure he'll treat you well.

As for the DVD players. The RP56 is about $199USD and the RP91 is $449 these are prices at my local best buy a week ago. I'm also going to check the best buy outlet store which often has decent stuff for less...

But definately give Marc a call on the projector and screen...

Chris

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know of three ways to display a 4:3 image from a stand-alone DVD player on a 16:9 screen with the LT150:

1. Change the LT150 aspect ratio to normal and move the projector closer to the screen every time you want to watch a 4:3 DVD.

2. Use S-Video and set the resolution to native on the LT150 (sacrificing progressive scan from the DVD player on 4:3 DVDs).

3. Use a DVD player that has aspect ratio control like the RP91.

Any other ways?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
You would, however, need the RP91 to scale 16:9 to the 4:3 panel if you want to use an anamorphic lens.

--Les
Why? just don't turn on cinema mode and you're all set. Only case where you'd need a RP91 is if the original source is non-anamorphic letterboxed.

------------------

/frode

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.