AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Bush brand TV stands, for my Sony LCD, I guess they are pressed wood, ~0.5" thick; anyway, there is a 1" opening all the way across the bottom, for wires, but it isn't enough. Therefore, I was wondering what inexpensive tool could I use to cut openings (circle or square) in each piece?

·
Registered
844 Posts
^^^Or buy a similar less expensive set (than the first link) at HD or Lowes for < ~$15.....works great.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
A hole saw and an electric drill.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If the hole will be covered by the equipment, any you don't really care how it looks, any saw will work: jigsaw, circular saw, coping saw or a keyhole saw. You could even use a router if you have one.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LooseChange
I'd say a hole saw would be good as well. Harborfreight is cheap but if you only need it once it's better than spending a fortune. I have the $12 set and I've used it well over $12 worth. Well worth it IMO and I remember picking it up for like $4 at the store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42259

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38425
It would only be used once, well, twice, one for each stand.

Do those kits have everything I need to cut the holes?

How exactly do they work?

·
Registered
844 Posts
^^^ They work the exact same way as a normal drill bit. Connect to your drill and you're ready to go!

-Jason

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
QZ1, if you're planning on enlarging the existing holes, I would use a double hole saw. Replace the pilot drill in the larger saw with the chuck of a smaller saw, sized to fit exactly the existing hole. That lets the small saw act as a pilot to steady the large saw. Much cleaner hole.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
QZ1....

I don't want you to take this the 'wrong way' or to come across as snippy (or any other negative term) because it's not intended to be; but, questions like this in general make me nervous. IOW, if you don't know what tool will do the job, I wonder if you should be using the tool.

Here's my suggestion...get the hole saw for a power drill. Practice making a clean cut on some scrape wood or have a buddy that's done this before come over and provide some supervision...I don't want you damaging your stand (even if the hole is in the can't be seen back side of the cabinet).

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The voice of wisdom.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Erskine
QZ1....

I don't want you to take this the 'wrong way' or to come across as snippy (or any other negative term) because it's not intended to be; but, questions like this in general make me nervous. IOW, if you don't know what tool will do the job, I wonder if you should be using the tool.

Here's my suggestion...get the hole saw for a power drill. Practice making a clean cut on some scrape wood or have a buddy that's done this before come over and provide some supervision...I don't want you damaging your stand (even if the hole is in the can't be seen back side of the cabinet).
Yes, as you noted, I am a novice at this; I was hoping it would be easy enough to cut the holes, though. I have few tools, so, I would have to get the drill, as well as the hole saw.

Maybe I should just get someone more qualified to do this? Our building's maintenance person is good at projects. I don't want to have to pay a carpenter or electrician for such a small projects.

One thing I worry about, is the vibration of an electric drill affecting the Sony 50" LCD, which I would prefer not to move. Is there an unpowered saw to cut this?

In reality, the two items' plugs that can't pass through the unit, don't miss by much, so maybe something to scrape off some of the pressed wood?

DMF,

The opening is all the way across the bottom of the stand, so I would actually be cutting an upside down 'U' shaped opening, but the edges could be straight.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I Have to agree with other posters,or some, find someone to do it for you..This is most definitely simple enough you really shouldn't have to ask how to do it..I am a union tradesmen so my view might be biased somewhat..

brickie

·
Registered
903 Posts
come on, I don't think we need union carpenter to handle this job. Almost anyone one can manage to cut a hole through mdf. I simple hole saw and an inexpensive drill will do the trick. Practice on a piece of mdf or plywood. The sales person at the hardware store where you buy the tools can show you how to attach the hole saw to the drill. I would probably remove the LCD before cutting as you will have better access, but I doubt the vibrations would hurt it. Unless the drill gets away from you and attacks your LCD.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Perhaps you don't need a union carpenter. But perhaps the OP does. Some people just don't grok power tools. Better that they should pay a little $$ and not die horribly trying to prove the myth of the strong, independent (of trades unions) American.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.