AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tools are you guys using to measure transfer rates when moving large files on a local network?

I just got some powerline equipment and would like to see what i'm getting.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can also use something like Filezilla or you can also just open a DOS command prompt window in accessories and manually FTP files from one PC to another on the network. It will tell you how fast it is sending data.

On each PC run the command ipconfig on each PC to make sure you have the right IP address. I'll assume one is 192.168.0.10 and the other is 192.168.0.15.

If you are on 192.168.0.10 then change to the directory where you have files you want to send, then run the command ftp 192.168.0.15. When you are at a prompt, then you can change to a receiving directory, perhaps cd c:\ emp. Then use the command put mint.iso, whatever file you want to send. This was a test I did in 2008 as an example. Put sends a file and get will receive it so you can test both ways.

ftp> put mint.iso

local: mint.iso remote: mint.iso

200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.

150 Ok to send data.

226 File receive OK.

722104320 bytes sent in 6.41 secs (109965.8 kB/s)

ftp> quit

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...hlight=najames

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru /forum/post/18284961

Does jperf suffer from any degraded performance from running within java vs more raw access via iperf's C code?

I doubt it, since java uses cpu cycles and your cpu is not bottlenecking at transferring files...unless you're doing iSCSI or something like that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the output from a customizable stats program, Samurize, to monitor my network output in addition to other things.

www.samurize.us

Here's my gaming rig's instance of Samurize...which takes up about 2.5" on the left side of my monitor:

It doesn't load down my gaming rig or my htpc (both machines are pretty decent, as they are both from the Core2 series) at all....but on slower systems it will impact performance...so I don't recommend it unless you have a decent machine to run it on. I wouldn't try running it on anything running an Atom processor for instance. Maybe an ION chipset...but I can't say for sure as I don't have one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts