AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i think i am going to self-calibrate, in order to learn the process and use it from this point forward. I could not find a guide to calibration, and so i was hoping to get some help with what items i need to buy/ download. Thank you

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
You need a meter, for the Pioneers we do recommend an I1 Pro or Chroma 5 minimum. However, we are doing some testing with the ColorMunki Spectros and these look very promising (others have done some testing and they track well). Good Info Here and Here

Many use a Display LT/2 - mixed results... More info Here (including CalMAN vs ColorHCFR Info).

For software, here are your options for DIY:
  • ColorHCFR (free) - DIY / I1 Pro / Pioneer Info Here
  • CalMAN ($)
  • ChromaPure ($)

For Patterns, you can download AVS HD 709 for free, see Here

If you have questions, feel free to PM me..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you...so basically, i need a meter, software, and test patterns? how is the eyeone display 2 for plasmas?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I posted that above

Many use it but we don't recommend it on the Pioneers..

Many use a Display LT/2 - mixed results... More info Here (including CalMAN vs ColorHCFR Info).

Posted Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/0

I hate to tell you this, but the Display LT isn't a very reliable meter when it comes to taking measurement over a period of a few days.

Since you are using that meter, I recommend that you let it warm up on your display for at least 1 hour before attempting to take any measurements. Also make sure you are doing the initial setup of the dark measurement on a opaque black surface after the one hour warm up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/0

can you give me some examples of opaque black surfaces? currently i lay it on top of my black cd player. as for warming up, i leave the meter on the screen for at least 30min before calibration.
Quote:

Inside of a DVD case. And you need to leave it on the screen for an hour.
Quote:
eyeone pro is too expensive. are there any other consumer level meters you can suggest if the LT isn't adequate.
Quote:

The only others I would recommend would be the Chroma5 or DTP-94 with the latter being extremely hard to find.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome...thanks.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
you are doing the right thing, take your time and do the research.. don't listen to just one person (and that includes me)..

But as many know here, I tend not to recommend more than what's needed and will advise you to steer you away from poor options.

One last comment about the Display LT/2 meters, I can't tell you how many countless people have started that way (buying one) only to upgrade later to a better meter for their Pioneer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah...and i could see that being me. Honestly, I probably will have the tv for some time before i calibrate, and I want to put maybe 400-500 hours before i make the decision. Also, I have to let that enormous purchase get paid off as well

Considering the following though, what setup would you suggest, and why:

I am not a crazy particular viewer, but I like to notice detail. I hate when i feel i am missing something because of bad contrast. Also, I would like to spend as little as possible, but I will spend what i feel is necessary. Finally, I would like to get one setup that will basically "last forever" so i dont have to keep buying mroe and more. Maybe some starting point products for me to look at would help.

thanks again

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I personally prefer and recommend the I1 Pro if you are going to only have one meter. This may change to the ColorMunki for Enthusiasts.

The I1 Pro comes with a NIST certifcate, it's a Spectroradiometer and from field reports is working well with the consumer LED back-lit LCD displays. The manufacturer offers re-certification (they don't for the ColorMunki) though as an Enthusiast I would worry about that for a few years.

This meter is still used by many Professionals as their primary field meter. It has a track record.

It was too long ago that this type of equipment (and software) was well out of the reach of Enthusiasts.. times are good

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/18184068

The I1 Pro comes with a NIST certifcate, it's a Spectroradiometer and from field reports is working well with the consumer LED back-lit LCD displays.

good for plasmas too though?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Yes.

For up to $2K:

I1 Pro

Chroma 5

ColorMunki - from initial reports

(ColorMunki may move up one slot).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which colormunki product do you refer to?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
The ColorMunki Photo (white case) and ColorMunki Design (black case) are the same meter.. only the software package from X-Rite is different. I think the Design (more expensive) has the Printer Profiling software..

I'd go with the less expensive option (Design w/black case), which I did.

Do not get the ColorMunki Create, basically a Display 2 in different skin.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so colormunki looks like it will be good enough for me, and cheaper than the i1pro. which software set should i get with that? Also, anything else i will have to know to do all of this stuff? thanks again for your help and patience

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Currently, CalMAN has support.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so would this be a sufficient bundle to calibrate my tv, and at the same time not be overkill? (i dont wanna spend more than necessary as mentioned before)

{{CalMAN Home Edition, ColorMunki Spectrophotometer Enhanced, and ControlCAL Registered}}

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Initial data and reports are positive for the Munki and it's looking like it may become the low priced leader (IMO)...

You mentioned to me that you wouldn't do anything for a couple months, I'm sure we'll have final Munki tests/results by then.

The real concern to some owners is the awkward design when using on a flat panel display (you can see some posts about this in the Munki Thread I linked above).

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tried to calibrate my old 1150HD with my i1 display lt. It did not give consistent results and I found it impossible to use with the drift it suffered due to heat. I eventually paid to have that tv calibrated, and I am having my 101FD professionally calibrated in two days. My display lt works great on my 3007wfp that I bought it for originally though. I would consider it a waste of money to calibrate a plasma and would recommend a better meter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok...guess the lt is out then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts