AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title thread states, I'm looking for a 50" plasma for $1000-1500 CAD with good/high level of anti glare coating

I prioritize anti glare coating over PQ. After all, plasma is known for its black. What good is the plasma when the color that happen to introduce the most glare is also black??

I've saw a couple of thread that said that Panasonic in general has one of the best anti glare technology.

If that's the case, is there any model from Panasonic that falls under my budget range with an anti glare coating?

I'm also open to any brand (don't have any brand preference), as long as there's significant consensus that the certain brand also has good anti glare coating on its plasma.

Thanks.

edit: Any personal experience on watching plasma during daylight? I'm not concerned about PQ, just want to find out if I can even watch it.

The TV goes beside the fireplace flushed against the wall

·
Banned
568 Posts
OMG that room is a Plasmas' worst nightmare
I feel sorry for whoever sits opposite to the window, because the screen will be covered in a mirror-reflection by that window (even with the blinds closed). I recommend you migrate over to the LCD forum, since PQ isn't your biggest requirement: LCD's are still good, and will function better in that room than any anti-glare plasma. ...But if you install drapes over the blinds a plasma will be fine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the picture is a bit off, because it never looked THAT bright in real life even with sunshine.

Is it that bad though? There's a overhang that extends about 6-7 feet away from the window.

Reason I want to get plasma because it has the size that I want. My mom doesn't want anything bigger than 50", but I feel 46" is kind of small for the living room.

The TV faces East, so I guess it will be affected the most during the mornings?

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfiringsystem /forum/post/19605206

As the title thread states, I'm looking for a 50" plasma for $1000-1500 CAD with good/high level of anti glare coating. I prioritize anti glare coating over PQ. After all, plasma is known for its black. What good is the plasma when the color that happen to introduce the most glare is also black??

I've saw a couple of thread that said that Panasonic in general has one of the best anti glare technology. If that's the case, is there any model from Panasonic that falls under my budget range with an anti glare coating?

I'm also open to any brand (don't have any brand preference), as long as there's significant consensus that the certain brand also has good anti glare coating on its plasma.

edit: Any personal experience on watching plasma during daylight? I'm not concerned about PQ, just want to find out if I can even watch it. The TV goes beside the fireplace flushed against the wall

My room is brighter and my Plasma is totally watchable and enjoyable on a sunny afternoon. If you're going to wall-mount the TV, i'd recommend getting an articulated mount so you can swivel it a bit when that window is getting a lot of light.

In your budget range, the best choice would be the TC-P50G25 (or G20 which is it's clone). It has the second-best Anti-Reflective Filter behind the VT25 series which is better but much more expensive. The only other brand/model of Plasma that can approach the anti-reflectivity of the G20/G25 would be the Samsung C8000 series, but that's their highest end model. And forget the LGs, they're all considerably more reflective than the ones i listed above.

Here's a thread that should be helpful:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...985&highlight=

Here's my living room with my 2005 Plasma. And my current 2009 model is a lot brighter and even easier to see during the day:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Thanks!

Which Panasonic model would be the next step downwards in terms of anti glare coating?

What if I step down and looked at the price of the TC-P50S2? I've read your thread that it is a step down from the G25 anti glare coating, but I'm wondering how does it do against competitor of the same price range (TC-P50S2)?

Reason I'm asking is, there's a general consensus that Panasonic probably has the best anti coating technology out of all the plasma manufacturer.

And if that's the case, is there any comparable alternatives to the S2 (in terms of anti glare coating)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.