AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for my own self-interest to find out what is possible, please post your favorite undocumented features here. in the interest of brevity, if one is mentioned before you can skip it :)

here's my top 5 (and the only 5 i know of):

5. tic tac toe

4. turning the damn "check phone numbers" message off

3. webTV wireless keyboard is RTV compatible!

2. upgrading the storage space!

1. connect via DSL (i just read the thread)

joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
May I make a suggestion..

If you are going to post the hack please post links to the appropriate threads and/or sites.

just my $0.02 :D

Thanks

-=WonderSlug=-

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Don't forget the hack to turn the red dots in the Channel Guide into hearts. It happens automatically on Valentine's Day, but you can turn it on any time.

See the FAQ at http://replayfaq.reidpix.com/faq.asp?id=66

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actually, I wanted to mention this one.....my dots didn't chage on valentine's day this year (SS 2000). So the only way I ever saw it is via the CFP about a month ago (kept it about an hour).

Wonder if this is the only Easter egg I missed since it just "happened" to not run on the right date. (I found some using the CFP and the xxx+zones [as listed in the FAQ], but nothing really impressive).

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK, I give... Where is this thread regarding connecting via DSL that you read recently? I can't seem to find anything recent, and I don't remember a real, usable "hack" that would allow anything other than a 4000 series box to do this.

Link Please?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm disappointed that only 1 trick has been posted (the hearts) but anyway i will try to find the DSL/Cable Modem thread. it had 4-5 pages, and to summarize, you have to set up a modem on your PC to "listen" for the replayTV phone calls, and then proxy the connection through to download the schedules. it sounded pretty complicated.

the only other trick i forgot about is exporting your shows to mpg files on your pc

joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK, never mind with the link then... I kind of suspected that that "solution" was the only one posted regarding connecting via DLS or Cable... not exactly workable in my opinion. Oh, sure, I'm sure people have made it work... but if it ever gets to the point where my only options are that particular "hack" or a long distance phone call, I'll be buying the competition instead.

Thanks anyway...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
5. The "Delete two shows at once" timesaver feature. For dual RTV owners, happens when you accidentally get both of them turned on at the same time.

4. The "Shock-o-matic" capacitor discharge when fiddling the hard drives during an upgrade

3. "One minute available for recording" botched upgrade

2. The 243-Zones "Pause that refreshes" timesaver - no need to waste your time watching all those pesky TV shows.

1:

Actually, my favorite was back in those heady ol' days of hacking the RTV when people were hacking j-random commands into the RTV's startup batch script, just to see what it'd do.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Toots' list wins! That's Dr. Toots to you (or at least it used to be...).

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
if anyone is every really bored...there are a few great threads in which you can read all the work that made it possible (and easy) to hack your replay:

Thread #1 - right after the Tivo hack became possible

Thread #2 - details on how lostboy, videodude, toots, etc figuring out how the replay works

Thread #3 - The original "60 hour upgrade hack for the brave!" thread

also found a great quote from ReplayMike (now JustMike)...in Mike's defense this is when people where speculating on taking out the original hard drive & just plugging in a new, larger hard drive that had nothing on it
Quote:
We've said before on a number of occasions that that won't work. The ReplayTV isn't user upgradable. And, opening the case voids your warranty. And, you'll quite possibly break something. Sorry.
(mods - two of those links go back to the ubb board - i couldn't seem to find them in the vb archive - feel free to edit in updated links if these cause problems)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
5. The "Delete two shows at once" timesaver feature. For dual RTV owners, happens when you accidentally get both of them turned on at the same time.

4. The "Shock-o-matic" capacitor discharge when fiddling the hard drives during an upgrade

3. "One minute available for recording" botched upgrade

2. The 243-Zones "Pause that refreshes" timesaver - no need to waste your time watching all those pesky TV shows.

1: Actually, my favorite was back in those heady ol' days of hacking the RTV when people were hacking j-random commands into the RTV's startup batch script, just to see what it'd do.
nice Toots (no nostril water though)

When I brielfy had my 2 SS's in the same room I did #5...deleted something relatively unimportant off the unit that I didn't think was on

Saw #3 after forgetting to 'patch' the hard drive when I restored it from a backup image

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Wow. Going back and skimming through that old 60 hour upgrade thread.

I can't believe that so much of that happened LESS than a year ago. I keep thinking that it was 2 years ago.

I will say this:

While I was trying to crack the RTV file system, and a little later while I was doing the 2 drive hack, I was, at the same time, working on my dissertation for my PhD in Clinical Psychology.

The two activities were about as fundamentally different as you can get and still be typing on the same computer.

Oh yeah, and skimming farther down: at the time I was doing those two things, my day job chasing down a memory corruption problem in a Unix kernel that was obviously due to a race condition, 'cause it only happened on an 8 CPU SMP system, which was especially fun, 'cause I'd never seen the inside of Unix before.

At one point in there, xyzzy asked me if I had a life. No, apparently, I didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.