AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm bored. So here is my ranking for the top 5 most asked questions in the theater builder forum:

5. Can I paint my ceiling tiles?

4. Do I need AC in my theater?

3. Where to buy insulshield/rigid insulation, is it the same as x,y,z?

2. What dimensions should I make my theater?

1. GOM! --colors, attachment, where to buy, tada, tada, tada

I can think of many more, might need to expand this to a top 10 list.

If you are thinking of asking any one of these questions do all of us long time guys a favor and search first. You can always bump an old thread to the top and long threads always garner attention. I promise, we will help.

;)Brian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your list is pretty complete, but here's a couple more:

Ceiling - tile or drywall?

How do you make a stage/riser?

Should I use a professional designer?

Is there a book out there about designing and building a home theater?

Does the insulshield/rigid insulation go on the top or the bottom of the walls?

What kind or how much wiring should I run through my theater?

Are there cheaper alternatives to a Grafik Eye?

What's the difference between the (Lutron) Spacer and the Spacer System?

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Brian,

If you're that bored... come on over to my house and give me a hand!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Good list! A few more:

6. My HT's already built. What's a simple way to soundproof it for as cheap as possible?.

This variation comes up a lot as well:
Can I use to soundproof my HT?

7. Anyone know of any good "how to" websites for building home theaters?

8. Do I really need to use in my HT?

(The "I've run out of money question"). :)

The variation:
Is it worth using

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
or:

Should double drywall?

Should I use resilient channel?

The funny thing is, when you search the forums on these topics, you can find just as many posts that say to do it, to ones that say it doesn't make much difference. It just makes people more lost.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey you guys can do like I do....get addicted for 6 months, go away for 6 months, get addicted for 6 months...etc. When you come back they seems new:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Brian,

We were all new once. As someone with less than 1/10th your number of posts, I can understand the same old questions coming up over and over again. What I dislike is when a question comes up again within days or hours of each other. That shows that the author was too lazy to search even the recent posts.

The one good thing that I have seen coming out of repeated posts of the same questions is that sometimes people start debating which of the popular responses is really best. Those are the ones that help me the most.

-Tom

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmike
Perhaps this signals a need for a sticky FAQ thread. I think I just heard a volunteer :D
Scott has to be the one, so the collaberation can be called (what else?):

Fauque's FAQs

(Rimshot, please)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
The one good thing that I have seen coming out of repeated posts of the same questions is that sometimes people start debating which of the popular responses is really best. Those are the ones that help me the most.
I agree with you totally. All I need from someone is to show that they bothered to search at least a slight bit and now wish to further explore. Heck, lie to me...

Brian

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Re: Scott has to be the one, so the collaboration can be called (what else?): Fauque's FAQs

That's pretty funny. I never made that association/play_on_words before. I've seen a few request / suggestions in the past 3 years for FAQs. They usually don't get much response. People seem to like the "interaction" or to feel someone answered their exact question. Would seem something like a FAQ may be good but in each category/subcategory be a list of top 3ish threads on the subject which could obviously change. Another part of it or separate thread could be links to popular products recommended.

Re: You're a better man than me, I usually have to have some catastrophic even to occur to break me of an addiction.

Usually it is getting busy on another hobby (racquetball, camping, HT hardware) or project (landscaping, other room of house). When my son got diabetes that stopped me the first time. He is good now but things like that'll give you a reality check. I'm glad he likes movies:)

Re: All I need from someone is to show that they bothered to ...

Couldn't agree more. I bend over backwards for people that help themselves first and then are appreciative of your time and energy. It is fun to help others...as it often helps yourself remember/justify/relearn.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usabrian
Heck, lie to me...
I love you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sometimes the problem for the new person is not knowing the terms for which to search for. An FAQ would get them started with a new language of resilient channel, staggered stud walls and acoustics. Heck, many contractors or the employees at the box stores do not know these terms.

In my case, I manually paged through ALL of the posts (back to at least 1999) on the Builder forum and read the interesting threads. I then went and did the same thing, while searching on Dennis Erskine's name. Brute force. After all of that time searching, I think I have enough knowledge to start asking semi-knowledgable questions. Most of my answers at this time, - if I even offer any to the forum - are just regurgitated information from the forum. Baby steps {"What About Bob" - Bill Murray}.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
the number one question asked in my house is....

When are you going to be done?

·
Registered
733 Posts
A few of the regular ones I see are:

What color should I paint my theater?

What is the best seating?

How many receptacles should I use and where should I put them?

Should I use a DEDICATED circuit for the theater?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GRBoomer
In my case, I manually paged through ALL of the posts (back to at least 1999) on the Builder forum and read the interesting threads. .... Brute force. After all of that time searching, I think I have enough knowledge to start asking semi-knowledgable questions.
Good! That is exactly what I recommend people do if they're interested in building an HT from scratch. It's the best way to start.

People will often complain that doing that will take them weeks - which is entirely true!

But in all honesty: If they don't have a few weeks to go and read through a few years of posts, they don't have time to build a home theater all by themselves to begin with!

Kal

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've tried to read as much as possible. There comes a time though when you have to stop researching and start the project or continue to research and hope your wife doesn't continue to cut/spend your HT budget.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was just enquiring about the maytag skybox in terms of availabilty. And I guess they called the house and got the wife. When I got home all she said was Maytag called about a Skybox...I blurted out its for the home theater as I untied my boots. Her response...I don't want to hear it, have fun.

I win I win!!

Anyhow just to add my .2 I thought a sticky on Speaker placement and variations to the 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, I think I even saw one post on 10.4 allthough the explanation didn't seem to add up. No one even bothers to search for that one any more.

Requis

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.