AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Was wondering what are some of top budget brands .

Why is Andrew Jones center so expensive?? Tiny center Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Home Theater Speaker
The towers are double old price too online
I never got full 5ch set when they were at local Best Buy.

These are odd why downfiring woofer ? Reference High Performance Three-Way Floorstanding Loudspeakers | Fluance
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Maybe your thread title didn't attract much attention.

Fluance doesn't get a lot of discussion here. Which may not imply that they're terrible. Some of their low-end models reprotedly don't use full crossovers, just capacitors to pass highs to the tweeters.

The Dayton MK402X speakers got favorable reviews some time ago. The Sony Core speakers were popular, if more expensive. Their SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers are true 3 ways, unusual for inexpensive ones.

It's getting late, so I won't search the forum for threads on low-cost speakers myself.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Maybe your thread title didn't attract much attention.

Fluance doesn't get a lot of discussion here. Which may not imply that they're terrible. Some of their low-end models reprotedly don't use full crossovers, just capacitors to pass highs to the tweeters.

The Dayton MK402X speakers got favorable reviews some time ago. The Sony Core speakers were popular, if more expensive. Their SS-CS5 bookshelf speakers are true 3 ways, unusual for inexpensive ones.

It's getting late, so I won't search the forum for threads on low-cost speakers myself.
maybe Fluance isn't terrible, but they ain't good either. After a year with the SLS Q line gold, I ordered a cheap Fluance system and when it arrived, it was in many broken pieces (that was likely the shipper's fault)...however, it took two months and many phone calls to get Fluance to credit the order, even after I sent the kindling back to them with their RMA. Needless to say, I didn't request a replacement due to the rude behavior and denials. Then, the roll out of the Signature line with the crossovers connected incorrectly and instead of alerting everyone who bought that lot of bad speakers, they choose to just replace the speakers of just those people who contacted them.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
I owned a pair of the Fluance Signature speakers and really did not like them ... They were poorly designed and even sounded out of phase ... They were quickly sent back to them

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
We certainly DO like budget models - when they sound good. Fluance just has too many poor real-person reviews for my taste.
Depending on your location (Lower 48) and lucky timing, you could get a 5.1 set of Infinity Reference speakers that will completely destroy that Fluance setup for roughly the same price.
It's hard to beat that Dayton Audio setup for the price.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Try sony core speakers, emotiva b1+ , wharfedale 220, Philharmonic audio pio mods... And the infinity refs listed by sig...

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
A friend of mine bought a full 7.2.4 set of Fluance Home Theater speakers, anchored by the Signature Towers, the Signature Center Channel, a bunch of surrounds and bookshelfs, and a pair of subwoofers. He did all this before talking to me, but he then asked me to help him with the installation and setup of the speakers. I did help, but I was extremely disappointed with the result.

The CC is garbage. It sounds hollow and resonant, and has zero definition. Dialogue intelligibility is horrible. It doesn't have enough distortion-free output to keep up with the L/R speakers.

The subs are worthless. They have the exact same -3 dB point as the speakers, so what is exactly the point? Also, their output is not nearly high enough for even moderate listening levels. They distort and the ports "chuff" at -15 MVC.

The surrounds have rear firing ports! How the heII are you supposed to mount a surround speaker on the wall when the ports are on the back of the speaker??? I called Fluance to ask them and they had no idea. In fact, they weren't even aware that the design was a problem.

Bottom line, they are poorly designed and poorly built, and the sound quality of the system is poor, at best. I generally don't recommend specific speakers, but these are so bad that I will state unequivocally that I would NOT recommend them. Their only redeeming value is that they're not expensive. But in this case you definitely get what paid for.

As further evidence that subjective opinions are completely unreliable, my friend thinks they're wonderful. Oh well...

Craig

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A friend of mine bought a full 7.2.4 set of Fluance Home Theater speakers, anchored by the Signature Towers, the Signature Center Channel, a bunch of surrounds and bookshelfs, and a pair of subwoofers. He did all this before talking to me, but he then asked me to help him with the installation and setup of the speakers. I did help, but I was extremely disappointed with the result.

The CC is garbage. It sounds hollow and resonant, and has zero definition. Dialogue intelligibility is horrible. It doesn't have enough distortion-free output to keep up with the L/R speakers.

The subs are worthless. They have the exact same -3 dB point as the speakers, so what is exactly the point? Also, their output is not nearly high enough for even moderate listening levels. They distort and the ports "chuff" at -15 MVC.

The surrounds have rear firing ports! How the heII are you supposed to mount a surround speaker on the wall when the ports are on the back of the speaker??? I called Fluance to ask them and they had no idea. In fact, they weren't even aware that the design was a problem.

Bottom line, they are poorly designed and poorly built, and the sound quality of the system is poor, at best. I generally don't recommend specific speakers, but these are so bad that I will state unequivocally that I would NOT recommend them. Their only redeeming value is that they're not expensive. But in this case you definitely get what paid for.

As further evidence that subjective opinions are completely unreliable, my friend thinks they're wonderful. Oh well...

Craig
Ahh so they just look fancy and sound like trash ??
Probably better off with klipch or something reliable??
Bestbuy used to have half off but I didn’t check this Black Friday , sadly those ones are synergy sold as reference, not sure if there any good .

I returned 3 pairs of these once I’m mad cuz they looked higher end , should had kept them I didn’t have a proper receiver to judge them at the time .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Try sony core speakers, emotiva b1+ , wharfedale 220, Philharmonic audio pio mods... And the infinity refs listed by sig...
Why are woofers so small https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-c...VFXiGCh2Q_wcvEAQYASABEgJTXfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I recall older models had 8” woofers just 8 years ago . Look pretty decent for how cheap they are tho !!
Wonder why they don’t sell Andrew Jones anymore ??
These used to go half off sometimes I would never pay full price for them ... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsc...or-speaker-each-black/6241803.p?skuId=6241803

Big woofer isn’t really that important tho enough to go low end klipch? My current ones have duel 6.5”

This deal seems good https://www.parts-express.com/t652-...und-speaker-system-with-12-subwoofer--300-699
But it’s not really any better then what I’m using .

I’m using https://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-icon-speakers
In my bedroom system , also low end speakers .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Start here then come back around with more info, so we can help you properly, instead of guessing:

Basic Speaker Setup FAQ
Ahh I need to convince my mom to allow me to set up speakers properly, or just forget about getting better speakers while I live here . My bedroom system is sufficient but I don’t use it often not been watching many movies ...

I Need a decent amplifier first ,
I noticed this brand is affordable but I’d rather wait til I see a sale .
Maybe I’ll get the money someday for new speakers .

None of these speakers except center channel is getting proper power ...
I got this amplifier used and it’s junk. Glad I didn’t pay much .

This brand seems affordable but I cannot say the same for there incredibly expensive amplifiers... Airmotiv T-Zero Pair Floorstanding Tower Loudspeakers
I mean there still kind of expensive for bigger models .
Maybe I’ll wait a year or so . Til I can afford something

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean by that?
What Yamaha is that?
YAMAHA RX-V440
Something seems wrong with other channels I’m getting no bass either .
Adjusting sound levels doesn’t help either , I even tried stereo mode no bass , so weird .
Center is pretty loud too even turned down -1 dB .. I tried adjusting fronts they only go to +0

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
YAMAHA RX-V440
Something seems wrong with other channels I’m getting no bass either .
Adjusting sound levels doesn’t help either , I even tried stereo mode no bass , so weird .
Center is pretty loud too even turned down -1 dB .. I tried adjusting fronts they only go to +0
Not even in bass heavy Stereo 2.0 music?
Does this AVR have a calibration system and if so, do you have the mic?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It’s too old no ypao sadly, it sounds more like a soundbar no depth to anything,,,..
Using these as fronts not getting much sound out of them .
Pioneer SP-FS52 Home Audio Andrew Jones Designed Floor Standing Loudspeaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NCD2S4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Pfz9FbGJM6CXW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
If you pipe in some relatively bass heavy stereo music (instead of movies), is it still bass shy?
Maybe also make sure the speakers are in phase (red to red, black to black).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If you pipe in some relatively bass heavy stereo music (instead of movies), is it still bass shy?
Maybe also make sure the speakers are in phase (red to red, black to black).
There plugged in correctly , nothing I play has any bass . Exactly what I didn’t want to happen ....

Why did these get discontinued? Pioneer SP-FS52 Home Audio Andrew Jones Designed Floor Standing Loudspeaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NCD2S4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_VxJ9Fb1FXY0DH

Now there like double the old price ....$350 a pair from the $200 old price .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts