AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I don't knoe if thise speakers have dual binding posts, but if they do, make sure there is a firm connection between the tow positive and two negative terminals. That has caused issues with bass in the past.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't knoe if thise speakers have dual binding posts, but if they do, make sure there is a firm connection between the tow positive and two negative terminals. That has caused issues with bass in the past.
They don’t and are hooked up properly, I could try hooking some lower wattage speakers up see if I get any bass output .
How can a amplifier lose its bass ???

I have the center of this line speakers sony ss-mf550h
But used ones cost more then I’m willing to spend .. greedy sobs
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you can post screenshots of your speaker setup in your AVR menu, along with all your equipment/speakers and their connections, it would certainly help up help you.
Another idea is to plug in your Klipsch Ikon speakers into the front left/right to see if it's a problem with the AVR or the Pioneer AJ speakers. While inexpensive, those Pios got good marks for musicality (whatever that means) and decent bass. Since they are so inexpensive, I question the quality of their build. They had to cut as many corners as possible to make a profit, and build quality goes out the door first. They could have an internal crossover failure, a disconnected wire inside, blown woofers (unlikely), etc. Testing the AVR with different speakers can help us diagnose things.
Are you running a subwoofer? I have seen many reports of Yamaha AVRs having very low output voltage on their subwoofer pre-outs. Check the sub cable at both ends, and ensure the sub is working too. Sub amps can die, and if all bass lower than 80Hz is sent to it, then your AVR will seem to have "lost the bass".
Lastly, ifyou could post pictures of the entire room, we may be able to help you out with positioning. This will help you get the most out of your speakers.
All I have described is free to do, except for your time. Finding out what the problem is first is always the right call before throwing money at things.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you can post screenshots of your speaker setup in your AVR menu, along with all your equipment/speakers and their connections, it would certainly help up help you.
Another idea is to plug in your Klipsch Ikon speakers into the front left/right to see if it's a problem with the AVR or the Pioneer AJ speakers. While inexpensive, those Pios got good marks for musicality (whatever that means) and decent bass. Since they are so inexpensive, I question the quality of their build. They had to cut as many corners as possible to make a profit, and build quality goes out the door first. They could have an internal crossover failure, a disconnected wire inside, blown woofers (unlikely), etc. Testing the AVR with different speakers can help us diagnose things.
Are you running a subwoofer? I have seen many reports of Yamaha AVRs having very low output voltage on their subwoofer pre-outs. Check the sub cable at both ends, and ensure the sub is working too. Sub amps can die, and if all bass lower than 80Hz is sent to it, then your AVR will seem to have "lost the bass".
Lastly, ifyou could post pictures of the entire room, we may be able to help you out with positioning. This will help you get the most out of your speakers.
All I have described is free to do, except for your time. Finding out what the problem is first is always the right call before throwing money at things.
Avr has no menu it’s super old , YAMAHA RX-V440...

The rear surrounds don’t get enough volume or sound to move to the back , couch is too big to move them . All speakers are facing me

Sub is set to off, bass to main speakers yet there’s no bass. Still I could try other front speakers maybe .

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
You have your surround speakers RIGHT THERE. Swap the speaker wire around and test the output.
The AVR may be dead. Refurbished ones can be found for about $250.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You have your surround speakers RIGHT THERE. Swap the speaker wire around and test the output.
They are far more expensive only one is that cheap . It’s low wattage too
Might as well wait and see if any cheaper 7.2 come out later 2021 .

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
They are far more expensive only one is that cheap . It’s low wattage too
Might as well wait and see if any cheaper 7.2 come out later 2021 .
Should read what sigpig suggested again..
Switch the speaker wires from the towers to the small speakers sitting there. Play something and see if you're hearing any bass. This could point whether the issue is the receiver or the speakers.
Granted these are small speakers so they will not likely be bass heavy anyway, but there should be some at least.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Should read what sigpig suggested again..
Switch the speaker wires from the towers to the small speakers sitting there. Play something and see if you're hearing any bass. This could point whether the issue is the receiver or the speakers.
Granted these are small speakers so they will not likely be bass heavy anyway, but there should be some at least.
Essentially in surround mode center does everything...
I tried it even in 2ch stereo mode I got no bass whatsoever... junk receiver must have something blown inside of it . Sadly I cannot fix it so I’ll have to get a new one when prices come back down .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Avr prices are really high right now I gotta wait til there’s a big sale or something.
This amp is shot literally everything goes to the center channel , no bass exists regardless of what I do .
Hardly any sound goes to other 4 Speakers no depth to surround sound .
I tried other speakers as fronts nothing worked .
My older stereo only has red & white audio inputs on it so if I ever use my newer tv it will not hook up . So if I use it I’m stuck with 40”
It could be a temporary receiver tho

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Unfortunately, electronics can die.
If you get a cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= you can connect any TV with a headphone output to your integrated amp.
What's your budget? There is a Denon S540 for sale on Accessories4less for $229: DENON AVR-S540BT 5.2-Ch x 70 Watts Bluetooth A/V Receiver
Wonder if this will ever go On sale ? Sony STR-DH790 7.2-channel receiver with Bluetooth®, Dolby Atmos®, and DTS:X™ at Crutchfield
Weird the refurb is nearly the new price
I may wait til 2021 models come out
Is this brand any good ?

BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black Amazon.com: BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speaker - Black: Home Audio & Theater

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Andrew Jones went to ELAC. Crutchfield has their speakers, for example the Debut B5.2 for under $300.
Ahh I see but I’ll never find those pioneer as cheap as they were new .. probably won’t get any more again .
$700 for two towers wow way more expensive then pioneers were .
I see the design similarities
Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 Floorstanding Speaker, Black (Each) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4WFWZF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_-TtaGbETRAAG9
Hardly a budget model like pioneer Andrew Jones were I’m mad they stopped making this line . Makes me hate pioneer for this discontinued models...
These are $1200 a pair with less bass output then old pioneers ., probably far better speakers though..

Sad times for anything affordable.
I’m going to need a few grand for anything good .
It looks exactly like the pioneer but triple or more The price Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 Floorstanding Speaker, Black (Each) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4WFWZF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_okuaGbT02CZ9T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Re-reading through this thread. Since you got the AVR used, are you sure that it's not set so that the low frequencies are being passed to a subwoofer that should be hooked up?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That's good. Just double checking. Despite decades of experience, I've occasionally done a few D'OH things.

I'd personally suggest getting those ELAC's and the Dayton SUB-1200. I've had the 1200 and it'll go lower than the Pioneers that you have now - which I have owned before.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's good. Just double checking. Despite decades of experience, I've occasionally done a few D'OH things.

I'd personally suggest getting those ELAC's and the Dayton SUB-1200. I've had the 1200 and it'll go lower than the Pioneers that you have now - which I have owned before.
Need new amplifier before speakers.
Why are ELAC towers triple the price of the old Andrew Jones ? Less bass too
Look like same exact design $700+ tax a set
Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 Floorstanding Speaker, Black (Each) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4WFWZF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_mf5aGbE03APT9

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Need new amplifier before speakers.
Why are ELAC towers triple the price of the old Andrew Jones ? Less bass too
Look like same exact design $700+ tax a set
Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 Floorstanding Speaker, Black (Each) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4WFWZF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_mf5aGbE03APT9

Because they sound 10x better.
I hate to break it to you, but you bought a pair of speakers that are regularly about $600/pr for next to nothing. They are worth what you paid for them, and it looks like they are discontinued. Sorry, but you need to understand this. While sounding "good" for music at everyday volume levels, they are woefully inadequate for home theatre use.
I highly suggest you download your AVR's manual and READ it. Do a complete reset of the AVR and re-run the setup program - EVERY AVR I have ever owned has one. Post the results of the speaker setup, levels, distances, etc so we can give you advice on how to get the most out of your system. If you don't have the setup microphone, or remote, or your AVR simply doesn't have that capability, then it's time for a new AVR. The ones suggested throughout this thread will be all you need right now.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Because they sound 10x better.
I hate to break it to you, but you bought a pair of speakers that are regularly about $600/pr for next to nothing. They are worth what you paid for them, and it looks like they are discontinued. Sorry, but you need to understand this. While sounding "good" for music at everyday volume levels, they are woefully inadequate for home theatre use.
I highly suggest you download your AVR's manual and READ it. Do a complete reset of the AVR and re-run the setup program - EVERY AVR I have ever owned has one. Post the results of the speaker setup, levels, distances, etc so we can give you advice on how to get the most out of your system. If you don't have the setup microphone, or remote, or your AVR simply doesn't have that capability, then it's time for a new AVR. The ones suggested throughout this thread will be all you need right now.
Then the pioneer are basically junk for theater ? They sounded good for side surrounds in my bedroom til I removed them .

This receiver has no ypao or set up mic so it’s junk too , rip
Is the sub woofer any good on this bundle or no ? I’ll probably wait til 2021 receivers come out maybe see something cheap for better .
Those satellites seem too small .

Those ELAC are cheaper and better then my Klipch icon I bet though less bass output . Maybe in a few years I’ll consider them but my mom hates my speakers for some reason . Wouldn’t even let me use a 10” sub downstairs.

If I can’t get my 4k tv to look good with cable I’ll just keep using my old 1080p model from 2010.
How do you convince parents anything I gotta tell her my amp is blown and she has my money for a cheap receiver ..
could a cheap 4k receiver make cable look better on a 4k tv ?

Won’t be able to get new speakers for a while probably. Won’t have enough cash left after receiver.

I think they were $250 for the set but I got ripped off by a friend never letting him use a credit card again I paid $300 of his interest.. if I would had paid mine off prior I wouldn’t had lost any money . O well [email protected]$$ bestbuy and there credit cards .. even if Bill is all paid I got ripped off big time .
He lost more money then I did still .
I basically overpaid for junk ... lmao o well life is meaningless.

so my Klipch icon speakers weren’t half of anymore after interest .
Definitely a stupid idea not sure how much I paid altogether.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts