AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As was stated by a fellow earlier in October, "If I try to play a DVD while in 1080i, only the top half of the image is displayed both in windowed and fullscreen modes (ATI v4.1.0)"

I am running into the same situation - using either WinDVD 3.0, or PowerDVD XP. I am running my RPTV off of a Radeon PCI card as a second card - my AGP card is a GF2. Even if I run the RPTV

as the primary monitor, with both DVD Genie and Powerstrip running in the background, force weave enabled, I can not watch it in 1080i. This is getting very frustrating. Somehow the 1080i screen only paints the top half of the image. Are there any fixes to this? I can tell from previous posts that a number

of people have had this problem. There must be some solution. Thanks in advance - any ideas would really be appreciated.

(I am now using Windows XP with all the latest drivers)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Unfortunately you're SOL under WinXP. Interlaced overlay only works with driver versions 7093 and earlier under Win9x. All of the newer drivers for 9x/2k/XP are broken in this regard. I suggest you email ATI support to let them know this issue is important to you. You'll probably get back a canned response saying that the Radeon doesn't support interlacing, but maybe if they hear from enough of us they'll fix the problem. After all, it worked in the 7093 drivers, so they could probably fix it pretty easily in the newer drivers if they just took the time to do so. They don't have to 'officially' support interlacing to make us happy; just give us back the functionality that was in the earler drivers.

It's really a shame, because for those of us with RPTV's interlacing does in indeed make a noticeable improvement in DVD picture quality. Running the TT player at 1440x960i looks so much better than 540p that there's no way I'd be willing to install newer drivers regardless of what other features they've added. The most frustrating thing is that this is going to keep me from upgrading to XP if they don't fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am sad to hear that it is an issue with the drivers under XP. Here I was thrilled at how easy it was to operate multiple monitors under XP, and how great it is to have 1080i going off a Radeon PCI at the same time as having my main monitor under a different card. One thing that I don't understand is that the desktop looks great at 1080i - it's just the

DVD players that are screwing up.

Does this mean that the people that are going out and getting the Radeon 8500's will not be able to run their DVD players at 1080i? If so, it it truly a shame. I sure wish I was a programmer - i'd be tearing apart the drivers to see why the ATI 7093 drivers are working well w/ 1080I DVD, and the others are not.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It appears to me to be that adaptive de-interlacing can no longer be disabled with the DXVA compliant drivers. Just a SWAG though.

It is sad. They took one step forward and two back.

7093 / 98SE still seems to be the sweet spot for all the hacks/bells/wistles of the Redeon/ATI Player.

Dave

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Jeff is quite correct in the driver issue.

I am using Windows 2000 and can not get 960i to work - just as you described.

Karnis and I have been playing around with optimal resolutions for DVD's and have found that since a DVD is 720x480 Native, by using Multiples of that resolution, one achieves the best PQ.

That is why 960i looks so good and until ATI fixes the driver for interlaced resokutions, my suggestion would be to ditch 540P.

I am using resolutions of 720x480p and 1440x480p and get a better PQ than 540P.

When I was discussing a somewhat disapointing picture in 540P ,here is a comment Karnis sent me:

"Perhaps what you are seeing is scaling errors.

Scaling to the native rez is better than maintaing aspect ratio"

Use Avia and the key is to produce a clean, evenly spaced 6.75 MHz circle pattern.

Wayne, I hope you don't mind me passing on some of your very valuable comments.

Joe

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yes, Wayne Karnis definitely deserves kudos for the work he has done over the last year or so with PowerStrip creating custom resolutions for us RPTV-ers. Wayne came up with the timings for 1440x960i, and after tweaking them to fill my screen I now have a resolution that produces an excellent picture with no scaling errors and no overscan. It's just too bad I'm stuck on WinME/7093 because of the new drivers being broken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well. I wrote to ATI technical support. Here's my answer:

Thank you for contacting ATI Technical Support Canada.

Based on our experience, the issue(s) you describe should be addressed in the Windows XP section of our Technical Support website at the link below.
http://support.ati.com/faq/winxp.html

Of course, it didn't address the issue at all. Total brushoff. While Nvidia modifies its drivers on a weekly basis, ATI won't even read the questions about it. Reminds me of the treatment I once got from another company - 3dfx.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cbarria
Does that mean Nvidia supports 1080i?
No, I don't think so. You might be able to get an interlaced desktop, but the overlay will not work correctly in interlaced resolutions.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hi I am new to the whole HT PC so, I was wondering if you all could answer a few questions I had after reading this post.

Where can I find some of Wayne Karnis's custom resolutions for PowerStrip?

What is DVD Genie and Dscaler and can I use it on my computer or do they require additional hardware ie.) TV tuner ?

My current computer setup is a Pentium III 733 w/128mhz, GeForce 2 GTS 32mb, Game Theater XP sound card, and Windows XP.

Ohh...what is the best resolution that I can play a computer game on my TV. I can get 640X480 but I was hoping for 800x600i. Does anyone have custom timings for gaming (4:3 rather than 16:9)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.