AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I was just wondering if there is any advantage to a top-loaded CD player? I've noticed quite a few players are going top-loaded such as the SimAudio Moon Eclipse, Rega Planet & Jupiter, etc. Thanks for any input you have!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have owned both front loading (Rotel 955) and top loading (Micro Mega Duo) CD players / transports.

The top loading MicroMega Transport was very manual. You had to lift the hinged acrylic top, remove the clamp, put the CD in, put the clamp on top, lower the top. I thought CDs were supposed to be convenient than LP! Most of the models you mentioned are motorized and thus require less effort than the MicroMega I used to own. The obvious disadavantage is that the top loading units space above the unit. One advantage is the cool factor.

The front loading Rotel I have easily slides into a shelf. It however developed a problem with the sliding tray. Once the unit is warmed up and you press the eject button, it ejects the tray but once the tray is fully extended, it immediately retracts again unless I nudge the tray ever so slightly.

Based on my experiences, I would like at know how well the mechanical loading mechanisms are designed and constructed. Soundwise - they should not be any sonic difference IMO if the transport sections are designed adequately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.