AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this receiver? If so what are you running with it?

Me:

Bose AM-7 speakers

Panasonic DVD hooked up through optical cable

Favorite Movies (scenes):

1)LOTR - Balrog

2)Pearl Harbor - entire bombing sequence

3)Life as a House - sound track

4)Gone in 60 seconds - stealing the Mustang

5)Star Wars ep. II - Opening fly in scene

Favorite Music:

1)Massive Attack - Mezzanine, track 1.

2)Tarzan Soundtrack - track 7 (or 8)

3)Lil John feat. Ludacris - Bia Bia

4)Eagles - Hotel California

5)Any well made CD that is not too old.

Those are just a few of the things that make HT enjoyable with the Onkyo. Got your own top 5/10?

-gecko311

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm considering buying a TX-SR700. A few questions if you don't mind:

1. I am especially drawn to this because of the powered multizone feature. I currently have a Carver DSP receiver that steals the surround amps when using the second zone. Rather clunky design, but it sounds good, so we've had it for 5-6 years. Does the Onkyo have independant amps for the zone 2 or is it a similar sharing feature?

2. I've seen where the sampling on the mains are different than the rest of the speakers. Is this identifiable when using the DTS or DD?

3. I've also seen some comments about the music listening is a little on the bright side. What is your opinion?

4. Sony used to have receivers with the powered multizone feature, but they have discontinued them (the DA-3ES and 5ES models). Are you aware of any other HT receivers with this feature that I can compare? What drew you to the Onkyo?

I drive 5 NHT SuperOnes in my HT setup and have BA in my second room. The use of the HT vs Music is about 75-25. Any other comments on your receiver are appreciated. Thanks...Mac

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mac,

I think that some of your questions are out of my league. Let me see if I can point you in the right direction:

1) Please see the TX-SR700 manual here:
http://www.onkyousa.com/

I think this can answer some of your more technical questions. I don't use the Zone 2 feature (yet) so I cannot comment on its ability.

2)I'm not sure what you mean by sampling. There is a very slight difference when playing DTS vs DD. DTS seems a bit louder, crisper.

3)This one is easy =). What I have noticed is that when listening to Music, the sound quality really depends on the sound recording. If its a poorly recorded CD then it will sound like crap. However if you get a well recorded CD, like some of the ones I mentioned in my last post...the sound is beautiful. I guess the Onkyo accentuates the positive and vice versa.

The brightness issue may also change from speaker to speaker. I run Bose speakers and people say they are some of the brightest sounding speakers around...but I don't hear any of it, however this is subjective.

4)What drew me to the Onkyo? Definately not anything to do with the Zone 2 since I don't use it. I just wanted a great receiver for both Movies and Music, with all the features. After that I let the sound be the judge and I bought the following receivers and tried them out at my house with my existing speakers:

HK AVR520

Onkyo TX-SR700

Marantz SR7200

Yamaha RX-V1300

I was really dissapointed with the amp section of Marantz...so I returned that one.

The HK wasn't too clear and crisp with Movies...sounded a little muffled. Music was awesome though...but I returned this one (cost $200 more than the onkyo as well).

The Yamaha was the closest competitor to the Onkyo...but it was a tad bit bright on my speakers. Also I already owned a yahama (RX-V590) so I wanted to try something different.

Therefore I went with the Onkyo.

As far as movie playback is concerned...nothing that I have tested above sounded better than this receiver. Music was rivaled by all the receivers except the Marantz. It seems that you watch movies 75% vs Music 25% so you should be ok with it. What I recommend to you...be a good consumer...buy it...try it for 30 days...if you don't like it return it.

If anyone else has more technical knowledge about some of Mac's questions please join in!

-gecko311

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the response, I have started a new thread to see if there is anyone else out there with some experience on the multiroom feature. If it works right, it is a very cool feature that can reduce the number of pieces you need.

I'm not one who needs a lot of toys, just the right ones! :p

Thanks again...Mac

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read up in the manual about Zone 2 features and it seems that the Onkyo only allows 2 channel playback in Zone 2. So it seems you can still do 5.1 in Zone 1 and at the same time 2 Channel in Zone 2. You can add a preamp to go to Zone 2 for full 5.1 in Zone 2.

If you go to Onkyo's website, www.onkyousa.com, they have the user manual to download off of there so you can see all the specs yourself.

-gecko311

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.