AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a top of the line 32'' or 37'' LCD. There are a few things I'm looking for:

1) I noticed that my 480i Trinitron can display DVD's a lot better than most LCDs these days. If an LCD is given SD, it looks very soft. Are there any HD LCD's that can display SD just as good as a trinitron or better? I think this problem is less with plasma.

2) I want 120Hz.

3) I want 1:1 pixel mapping, it's going to be used for a montior for my PC (HDMI input from DVI) so I would like TOSLINK or phono audio inputs coupled with the HDMI jack if possible. It's also going to be used with a sony BDP-S1 blu ray player through HDMI.

4) Must be 1080p

Pretty much I want to choose from the best LCDs out there.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just received my 37LZ800 and it is fantastic. I don't think its high end but this TV is amazing. This is my tenth high def tv. I had six lcds and four plasmas including a Panasonic. I would compare the pq to the panny plasma. It has no dead pixels and no backlight bleed. The viewing angle is amazing and the buzzing noise that others are complaining about is minimal and I only hear it if i stick my ear up to the tv. The Motion Focus technology helps but the motion is also very good without the option on. The blacks are dark, close to the panny pz700 but not quite there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 37LZ800 is one of my top picks right now.

Have you used it for PC input? I want to know if it's possible to use something like this for a primary monitor.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Heh... No question, the KDL-37XBR6. Need I say more...

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Samsung may have some ToC A650 LCDs in that size range, too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are no 32" LCDs that have both 1080p and 120Hz. There is only one 37" inch that has both those features. I believe it is an LG, with mediocre reviews.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatezeppelin /forum/post/14232209

I just received my 37LZ800 and it is fantastic. I don't think its high end but this TV is amazing. This is my tenth high def tv. I had six lcds and four plasmas including a Panasonic. I would compare the pq to the panny plasma. It has no dead pixels and no backlight bleed. The viewing angle is amazing and the buzzing noise that others are complaining about is minimal and I only hear it if i stick my ear up to the tv. The Motion Focus technology helps but the motion is also very good without the option on. The blacks are dark, close to the panny pz700 but not quite there.

I have a TC-37LZ85. Other than the lack of a VGA port, I am quite happy. I havent tried a decent NVIDIA card connected using DVI->HDMI yet. The PS3 output is amazing. I dont like glossy screens, hence had to go for this one instead of the LZ800

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Right, none have 120Hz in that size range that are actually quality. However, if you want to splurge, there are some 40" that will fit in the same area as a 37" like a Toshiba 40XF550 or Sony KDL-40Z4100, with those space-saving bezel designs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are willing to settle for 60hz, the Toshiba rv530 series has high quality 1080p models in 32' and 37" at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking for similar tv's. The only one right now is Hitachi UT37X902.

I saw it at best buy really. Looked good. Just way too expensive. The other one

that might work for you is the upcoming Pioneer lcd sets. That is if they make it over from Europe unmolested. Unlike the pannys.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If it weren't for all the banding issues, I'd pretty much even throw a Sharp GP3U into the mix, but I'm not as keen on the Aquos lineup as I used to be, for blatantly obvious reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts