AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we had to list the top three new features we wish UTV had, what would those be?

My three are:

1. Broadband support via USB

2. Details on how to expand hard drive space

3. API so we can download recorded shows to PC via broadband network connection

Ed

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
hmm, narrow to 3 huh? ok http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1) Ethernet connectivity (I'll throw *everything* under here that relates to that, like trading shows, remote programming, fast MSN access, etc.)

2) Save buffer to disk

3) Speed it up

Those 3 are the tops to me anyway, not in order, btw...

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
1) Faster menus.

2) Options to turn on and off different menu features. Like confirming deletes, advertising in the guide, etc...

3) Season passes.

------------------

"I like to watch"

Chauncy Gardner

Being There

·
Registered
232 Posts
1. Ability to set up a recent channel circular list with the ability to switch to the next channel in the list when you press the "recent" button. My cable tv has this and it is really usefull. If I set up a list of CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, pressing the "recent" button will cycle through the list. Has to be fast too. If you have not set up a list, the "recent" button just displays the previous channel, like it does now.

2. Ability to press "record" button in the middle of a show and have it record the entire show, not just the rest of the show.

3. Tell us how to upgrade the hard drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1) Faster guide

2) FASTER GUIDE

3) ****FASTER GUIDE****!!!!!

What is Microsoft's problem with bootup times anyway?? Is this part of some plot to sell 2GHz Pentium based UTVs or something?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Without a doubt:

1)Keep at most - recording syndicated reruns daily makes me work quite a bit at not filling up my hard drive... I shouldn't have to stay on top of any of the 7 daily shows I record with this awesome technology... Basically I like having one episode of of my fav rerun on my HD at any given time... but currently, I have to manually delete all these shows just to keep 1 at most http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

2)Save buffer - I was watching the Giants game on live TV, Bonds hit #500 into the bay to give the Giants the lead late... I watched it over and over and just would of been thrilled to rewind to the beginning of the at-bat, hit record and then stop it afterwards. It would be great to be able to save snippets of programs (say to a organized playlist) or to decide after starting a program that it was worth saving and going back to record the whole thing

3)Ethernet connectivity - dial-up, schmile-up

riz

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ok, most of mine were said, so these are NOT my 1st choices, just some others not mentioned.

1. better display to tell me where I am in a show, with digital time, not that bar (and if bar, let me move it up/down or shrink it - it covers basketball scores when I ff thru a game to last 5 minutes etc.). Indicator in myshows of partial watched shows.

2. Quicker ways to get to various pages, using keyboard, so

I can copy commands to remote, or just some keycodes for the r.s. programable remote. I'd settle for cmd-X for all those hard to reach pages, like the screen size (or better a toggle) (and ditto to the configuration like if i want to confirm erase) and easier way to delete shows. Put more useful info on the home page, like total time recorded/left.

3. let me set up custom guide from all channels, not just those in the favorites (e.g. i want a ppv guide):

·
Registered
292 Posts
1. Faster guide (still 5-6 sec for me to access guide w/no custom guides set)

2. Save buffer

3. Option to TURN OFF the I and W pop-up icons!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
1. Keep At Most

2. Faster Responsive to Remote (i.e. Guide)

3. Record Daily/Weekly enhanced to catch back to back episodes.

OAW

·
Registered
719 Posts
One more thing, better conflict resolution, Let me choose which show will record, so a repeated entry can be overridden one time w/o having to delete the entire entry.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I only have one to add. Let us set up individual users like my $49.00 RCA receiver lets me. I don't care what shows are on Cartoon Network, but my 10-year old does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I agree that support for multiple users would be nice, as my $49 RCA receiver also does. Not only could you set up different user profiles, but it would allow a user to select from several different guide profiles. For example. if I select a "Sports" profile, I would view the guide with only stations I had previously selected as desirable sports channels without having to scroll past news, movies, PPV, etc. If I select a "Movies" profile, I would view the guide with only the 5 or 10 stations I had previously selected as desirable movie stations, perhaps with the PPV channels. I would think that the UTV box would be able to store many profiles (20+?) since RAM is cheap...

Would love to see the ability to congigure what screens I see. I would choose to not ever confirm a delete. After a delete, I would choose to go straight to the "My Show" list, rather than offer the silly screen that currently offers only that choice.

I've been using DSL on my 'puter for several months. I can't see using WebTV until it has a much higher speed connection. Please offer a cheap package for high speed access for, say, 3-5 hours a month.

------------------

"Questions are a burden to others; answers, a prison for oneself."

- Number 1

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newnumber2:
<snip>

I've been using DSL on my 'puter for several months. I can't see using WebTV until it has a much higher speed connection. Please offer a cheap package for high speed access for, say, 3-5 hours a month.

you are going to have to wait awhile, unfortunately. they just said that broadband capabilities are not in the next release. who knows when or if it will make it into the box, we know it has the capability, but the folks at UTV do not believe that it is a major draw or selling point for most of the user base http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought my Sony UTV unit and I am totally surprised that there isn't an option to create a custom recording and make it "daily" or "weekly" like any programmable VCR has done for us for the past 10 years. The fact that UTV has just recently implemented a "custom record" feature, but without any repeat options in their latest software update is a little bit upsetting. I had to take The Simpsons off of My Shows to record "every time" because it is also recording The Simpsons each and every time it airs, even if I don't want it to.

This "keep at most" feature everyone is asking about seems to be the fix here, and the fact that it has been coined as such looks like it's a very popular request which makes me feel a bit better.. but a custom repeatable custom record feature would be a good work-around for now. But alas, none are available right at this moment.

Also certain other shows like Sex & The City, The Sopranos, etc, I'd like to see UTV only record the new episodes at the time I specify, and not record the encore broadcasts later in the week, the way it does now. It kills me. Again, a custom repeatable custom record feature would fix this, as a "keep as most" feature would not, because what if you were away from home for a while and wanted it to record only the *new* episodes of a show, and not each one? If you tell it to "keep at most" 5 episodes, it will record the new episode, and then all the repeats, leaving you high and dry after it records 5 episodes, most of which you will junk.

I'd really like to be able to tell UTV to *only* record this show when it's on at *this particular time*, such as Sex & The City, sundays at 10, or Simpsons, sundays at 8, etc.. I don't want it to search around for other airings.

Shows like Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Golden Girls, Law & Order.. all have to stay off of My Shows right now because my HD gets filled up way too fast. MS, please fix this asap!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It almost sounds like you have something set wrong. I record the Sopranos each Sunday night, and no other auto recording occur during the week.

What you want is what I do here most of the time without problems. Either there is something different about the approach you used, or something different about your unit (mine is an RCA).

Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toddco:
4) SCROLL DAYS in GUIDE - in the upper left corner of the guide it tells you what day you are looking at, "Monday" for example. Let me click on this and scroll right to "Tuesday". The guide would then skip to this same time on that next day.

This would be very helpful in a number of cases. The most painful is when you just finished watching a show on Sunday night and decide you want to record it every week. But since the show has just ended you must scroll all the way forward to next sunday to set the recorder. Argh.
That would be a great feature, but here's a work-around for you. Go to the Search screen, and search by Date/Time. There you can tell it exactly where in the guide (within the next 2 weeks) you want to jump to. Takes a little bit more time, but nowhere near the amount of time to horizontally scroll past one entire week of programming!

-Dylan.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toddco:
4) SCROLL DAYS in GUIDE - in the upper left corner of the guide it tells you what day you are looking at, "Monday" for example. Let me click on this and scroll right to "Tuesday". The guide would then skip to this same time on that next day.

This would be very helpful in a number of cases. The most painful is when you just finished watching a show on Sunday night and decide you want to record it every week. But since the show has just ended you must scroll all the way forward to next sunday to set the recorder. Argh.

My top 3 are listed above, but along the same line as this request ... it would be most helpful if UTV did something that should be completely OBVIOUS .... like displaying the DATE in the Guide! The recent update now shows the Day (e.g. Mon, Tue, etc.) in the upper left corner of the guide ... and this is an improvement over the original guide which gave you no clue as to what day the guide data was for. However, this is not complete. How do I know if I'm looking at Tuesday of this week versus Tuesday of next week at a glance? If you look at where the Day is displayed in the guide, there is room to the right. Why UTV hasn't seen fit to display "Thu 9/19/01" or even "Thu 9/19" instead of just "Thu" is completely beyond me!

OAW

[This message has been edited by OAW (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OAW:
duplicate post

[This message has been edited by OAW (edited 09-19-2001).]
You can delete duplicate posts by using the Delete checkbox on the Edit page...

------------------

Brett

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.