AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't include price into the equation and I need help deciding between Sony KV-32XBR450 vs. 32 inch Panasonic Tau CT-32HX41 or sony KV-36XBR450 vs. CT-36HX41 panasonic. Purpose to replace bedroom tv.

Sources will be either OTA TV, DSS SDTV and DSS HDTV. How will regular antenna TV look on the panasonic vs. the sony with regard to built in scaler quality. What about the DRC of sony taking the OTA signal and increasing that to 960i vs. the panasonic line doubling TV input to 480p? Am I correct in describing how each scaler works with regards to S-video input? Thanks for your responses in advance!!

Also any other 32 inch 4:3 HDTV capable tv.s you might suggest over those two are appreciated!! even last year models such as KV-32 or 36 xbr400

------------------

mark

[This message has been edited by mburnstein (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mburnstein (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Tau doesnt have 3:2 pull down. That alone would make me not buy it even though I enjoy the picture quality immensely.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by policy:
The Tau doesnt have 3:2 pull down. That alone would make me not buy it even though I enjoy the picture quality immensely.
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...elNo=CT-32HX41

Progressive Cinema Scan for 3/2 Pulldown according to this the Tau does have 3:2 pull down. But I'm not going to use this for dvd's just TV. Any comments on how over the air TV or DSS via s-video output would look on the sony with the internal DRC scaler vs. the Tau? Does the Tau have a scaler for NSTC sources and does the Sony have to upscale NSTC video, ie is it optional? Under what setting with the Sony will DSS or TV look the best?

Thanks.

------------------

mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Tau's actually do have inverse telecine (3-2 pulldown), although whether it's implemented effectively or not may be a point of debate.

I would also consider the Toshiba 32/36HFX71s, due to be released any day now. The key features of these new sets are:

1. improved IDSC II line doubler, which now includes reverse 3-2 pulldown -- IDSC II line doubling with reverse 3-2 pulldown has been around in the Toshiba RPTVs and is thought to be pretty good; if it's thought to be good on a large screen, it's likely that it will look pretty good on the new direct views (but only your eyes will tell)

2. more horizontal lines of resolution than either the XBRs or the Taus

3. better 16:9 squeeze modes -- you can choose from 810i or 1080i options

The Toshibas will be brand new tubes, so it's unknown if there will be any issues (geometry, convergence, etc.) so it may be wise to wait for some reviews first, if you can.

Also the Hitachi 32UDX01S (2000-2001 model) and the upcoming replacement 32UDX10S (2001-2002 model) have received positive reviews. You will find some extensive threads on these models if do a search.

Toshiba 3xHFX71 manual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.