AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the US region A release is a gorgeous-looking Blu-ray, clarity-wise, on my Panasonic BD55 it displays serious jerky, stuttering motion during any fast moving imagery, whether it's people moving fast or simply someone's head turning in close-up, it becomes distracting and severely glitched. I've never had this kind of issue on a Blu-ray ever.

I'm not sure whether they bungled the UK to US re-author in the 50hz to 60hz conversion or what, but it's not acceptable in any way. It's noticeable right off the bat during the beginning of episode 1. Slower shots and helicopter angles show no problems at all, but anything else, yikes.

Anyone heard on disc replacement programs on this, yet or firmware upgrades being worked on for the players that can't handle it? Thanks!

And yes, the firmware on my player is completely current.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemandg /forum/post/16917959

While the US region A release is a gorgeous-looking Blu-ray, clarity-wise, on my Panasonic BD55 it displays serious jerky, stuttering motion during any fast moving imagery, whether it's people moving fast or simply someone's head turning in close-up, it becomes distracting and severely glitched. I've never had this kind of issue on a Blu-ray ever.

I'm not sure whether they bungled the UK to US re-author in the 60 to 50hz conversion or what, but it's not acceptable in any way. It's noticeable right off the bat during the beginning of episode 1. Slower shots and helicopter angles show no problems at all, but anything else, yikes.

Anyone heard on disc replacement programs on this, yet or firmware upgrades being worked on for the players that can't handle it? Thanks!

I've only seen season 1 which looked good; is this new behavior? The discs are 1080i (at least season 1 was) so it could be a deinterlacing issue.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemandg /forum/post/16917959

I'm not sure whether they bungled the UK to US re-author in the 60 to 50hz conversion or what, but it's not acceptable in any way. It's noticeable right off the bat during the beginning of episode 1. Slower shots and helicopter angles show no problems at all, but anything else, yikes.

I plan on watching the eposide(s) tonight and report my findings. I will be using the Oppo 83. I can check on my Pioneer 51FD as well.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Torchwood was shot in 1080i/50, so what you're watching is certainly caused by the conversion to 1080i/60.

Pretty idiotic to make such conversion, every HDTV is able to handle 1080i/50.

It seems to be display dependant though, on mine I did not notice these artifacts.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena /forum/post/16919624

Torchwood was shot in 1080i/50, so what you're watching is certainly caused by the conversion to 1080i/60.

It seems to be display dependant though, on mine I did not notice these artifacts.

Apparently a lot of Blu-ray players won't accept 1080i50. See the second post in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1117941

It could be a cadence issue. Tests with the Spears & Munsil disc could reveal which cadences are not well supported on a specific player.

-Bill

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena /forum/post/16919624

glad i got the UK version looks awesome!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/16919664

Apparently a lot of Blu-ray players won't accept 1080i50. See the second post in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1117941

-Bill

They are wrong about the PS3. The European version does play 1080i/50 without any stutter, and I would guess that aside the region coding problem, the US version migth too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As my Panasonic is on the list of those that can't play 1080/50i, is this something Panasonic can fix with a firmware upgrade?

The whole situation is completely ridiculous. We should be way beyond playing disc roullette everytime we bring a title home.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
watched last two nights. The show was fantastic or brilliant as the English like to say. The first episode was the best best the other four hours were great. The only complaint I would have is that the conclusion seemed rushed but still very satisfying.

As for the quality of the disc, I had no issues with it being jerky. If anything I thought the image was great.

I have watched the first two seasons on TV and I am a fan, but Season III was a grand slam

Oh, I use a Panny 30 with a JVC RS20

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemandg /forum/post/16920342

As my Panasonic is on the list of those that can't play 1080/50i, is this something Panasonic can fix with a firmware upgrade?

The whole situation is completely ridiculous. We should be way beyond playing disc roullette everytime we bring a title home.

1080i50 is pretty rare in the US; only found on a few imports. TORCHWOOD is 1080i60 which should be ok.

As an experiment, you might try changing your player output to 1080i which will let the display do the deinterlacing. It might make a difference.

-Bill

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/16921603

my br was putting out 1080p24

Does your display have a way of showing what it is actually receiving? I did not think it was possible to produce 24p from 1080i60.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I am finishing the 1st disc with no problems. I have Oppo 83 via HDMI to Denon 4308 to Kuro 6010. I checked the Oppo display and it is showing 29.97 Hz 16:9 Kuro shows1080p dot by dot. Much better than when I watched it in SD on BBC America last week.

Edit: Kuro is showing 1920 by 1080 60 Hz.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Curious about the 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 24p differences above. From the thread about Torchwood on HDNet in the HD programming section, got the impression the earlier episodes were captured at 1080/50i, then 'filmized' to 25p for a more film-like appearance , and broadcast at 1080/50i (presumably with pulldown) in the U.K.

Dramas at 1080/60i video (no capture/pulldown of 24p) are rare in 60-Hz areas like the U.S.; CBS has a weekday soap captured at 1080/60i as an exception.

Would have thought for U.S. Blu-ray marketing they'd attempt 24p conversion/storage. Guess time will straighten it all out. Maybe tech-savvy AVSer/BBC-producer SteveBagley will solve it if someone PMs him. -- John

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D. /forum/post/16924402

Technical problems aside, does one have to have seen the show to enjoy this miniseries?

if you have not seen the first 2 seasons you will be a bit lost and will lose much of the impact of the events that unfold recommend renting first 2 seasons first it's a great show.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
From a different thread on 60i authored titles, describing Torchwood earlier series on Bluray:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger999 /forum/post/16916524

Are we counting PAL-country HD? Example would be Torchwood from BBC HD--that was shot on digital 25p ("film like" though it's actually digital video, not actual camera film), and the boxed Blurays are 60i (from what I've heard, even in the UK, to avoid having to master a separate set). You cannot master these as 25p, because they would be unusable in US BluRay players that don't support PAL-style frequencies, so they must be interlaced into 60i. So you've got a 25Hz source interpolated into the 60 Hz time-domain, which causes a lot of problems for most deinterlacers that can only detect 24 Hz 3:2 cadences.

I wonder if there are regional differences for Children Of Earth compared to the previous series.

·
Registered
315 Posts
had no problems with this. running ps3 into HKAVR into Pioneer KRP-500m. As an aside, what an AWESOME mini-series this was. PQ was great and the story was fantastic. The wife and I stayed up quite late to watch the final part as we got sucked into it. Hopefully this show returns for another season (got good ratings in the UK) - just have no idea where the show will go next.......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I just finished watching Season 2 on Blu-ray (I caught season 1 on TV last year). Now I can`t wait to get Children of Earth. My shipment has been delayed.

Torchwood is one of my favorite shows on TV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.