Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post -- please be gentle. Also, I'm long-winded, so pace yourselves. Thank you to all the contributors to this forum. It has provided a wealth of information for our upcoming plunge into the widescreen/HDTV/prog. DVD world.

My wife and I don't think we really have the space for a 50". We currently sit ~7' from a 27" CRT set, and she complains that it's too big (with 4:3 material). Mounted on the wall, we'll be around 8.5' from a plasma. The height of a 42-43" plasma will appear slightly larger in our field of view than the CRT does now. Without the big TV only 7' away, I think my wife will still be comfortable with that.

We're leaning towards the Pioneer models for their input capabilities, expandability, and price point. The SD Panny looks great in the store, but we've got lots of OTA HD in our area, it's low for computer rez, HD Pioneer not much more money, ...

Questions:

Do you find the rectangular pixels much of a problem for use as a computer display? Even at 1280x768 (15:9), the 503 will have much less distortion than the 433. Can something like PowerStrip help with this? Will 3D games "do the right thing" if told it's a widescreen monitor?

The Pioneers have a non-linear stretch mode, right? I assume it's disabled for signals >480p. Does the TVP-1000 card provide non-linear stretch modes for the high-scanrate modes? I understand my local TV stations often show 4:3 material with black bars in HD around here. I think I'll be able to fool an HD STB to do a linear stretch on them (set TV to 4:3 aspect and zoom), but I may really prefer the non-linear modes.

Does the TVP-1000 provide noticeably better-quality deinterlacing and scaling than the PDA-5002? The extra $400-500 could easily go towards the STB, and I'd lose the computer DVI port (unless I waited for the 1000+).

Thanks,

- Aaron

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am trying to gather 10 people to do a group buy from Dell for Pio 503CMX w/card w/1 yr ext warranty w/shipping. You can check out the thread here

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.