AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying something for a basement game room this week and on most of the options I am looking into there is a $600ish premium on the 10 extra inches of screen space.

I know all things being equal that bigger is always better but in a situation where I could just move closer for free, I'm curious how many people would save the money and just go smaller. Its basically a 60% increase for 10 extra inches and while I can afford it, I'm just having a problem justifying it to myself.

The current biggest display I have or have ever had is a 65 inch js9000 so it isnt like I'm downsizing from what I'm use to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm in the process of buying something for a basement game room this week and on most of the options I am looking into there is a $600ish premium on the 10 extra inches of screen space.

I know all things being equal that bigger is always better but in a situation where I could just move closer for free, I'm curious how many people would save the money and just go smaller. Its basically a 60% increase for 10 extra inches and while I can afford it, I'm just having a problem justifying it to myself.

The current biggest display I have or have ever had is a 65 inch js9000 so it isnt like I'm downsizing from what I'm use to.
If your budget allows the 75" then do it. I went from a 65" to a 75" last year, and that extra 10" makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
A lot depends on your viewing angle. If just 1 or 2 people are watching, the smaller set will be fine. if you have people sitting to the side, the larger screen will reduce the viewing angle. Look at the sets at different viewing angles and distances. Also, type of screen makes a difference. iPS has a wider viewing angle than VA screens. I have a 70" in my main area and an old 50" plasma in my basement at a much closer viewing distance. The viewing experience is virtually the same.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another thing to consider is your speaker setup if you have one or plan to ever build one. Sure, you can sit closer to a smaller screen but that doesn't always work out optimally for surround systems as then you might be too close to your front speakers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be just me 90% of the time and at most me and 1 other person on occasion. Viewing angle and seating arent really an issue at all. I can be dead on at all times at pretty much any distance I choose.

I'd rather have the 75 but I could also just sit closer and have better audio or $600 in my pocket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At most I would do a soundbar so positional audio requirements arent really an issue either.

·
Registered
957 Posts

The number one regret in buying a set is that they wished they had gone larger. Go for the 75....it will be a much more immersive experience. Which sets are you looking at?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the Q70. Roughly a grand in 65 or $1650 in 75.

I was leaning B9 but OLED would necessitate a drop to 65 for budgetary reasons as a 65 would be roughly the same as a 75inch Q70.

I admittedly haven't really looked at many other options. A Q70 in 75inch is about the tip top of what I'm willing to spend.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looking at the Q70. Roughly a grand in 65 or $1650 in 75.

I was leaning B9 but OLED would necessitate a drop to 65 for budgetary reasons as a 65 would be roughly the same as a 75inch Q70.

I admittedly haven't really looked at many other options. A Q70 in 75inch is about the tip top of what I'm willing to spend.
That’s a good price for the 75. Definitely would go that way!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
What is your primary source resolution going to be? If its 4K, then 75". If its a cable feed at 720p, that 75" is going to show up a lot more artifacts. I actually think the PQ looks better on my 55" than the 65" at the same distance (12') because Xfinity crams everything into 720p

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
PQ loss with larger TV

I bought my 55" in 2014 and in 2017 went to get a SEK-3500 for it and saw that the 'curved' 65" was on clearance and it had the upgrades of the SEK-3500 along with a "Q" dot screen at 66% OFF MSRP.

I have an existing wall mount close to a corner that won't be moved and 55" had been a limit for 'flat' screen size, but due to its 'curve' the 65" could fit in that corner.

I moved my 55" into my 'home office' using as a PC Monitor :) as well as a 'spare' room TV.

I was aware of how PQ goes down as screen size goes up but thought the more 'flagship' of the 65" would compensate, but it did not.

Look in my sig below to see the models, but the 65" is the last 3D TV from Samsung. Sony had one in 2016 but only in 65" ($$) or 75" ($$$$) and even the 65" was 2" too wide for my mount which due to room construction can't be moved without major wall reconstruction, losing an inset shelf.

Looking way ahead; curve no longer an option so smaller (and no more 3D) or major mount project would be needed to upgrade to larger. It would take an 8K model TV to be worthwhile for me. 8K would give the desired PQ in a larger size and make up for loss of 3D to a degree. I also have a 14 year old Sony 40" HD (& no 3D) working fine, so hope the Samsung's hold up at least as well. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
65" is way too small for main entertainment. I have 80" and still think it is not big enough. 75" will be a downsize.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As someone who had a 55", then just had both a 65" and a 75" side-by-side (and returned the 65"), I would say definitely go for the 75". You mentioned that you can control the viewing distance, but I feel like you'd have to sit too close to the 65" to get the same immersive experience that the extra size of the 75" would give you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts