AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tornado ripped thru my neighborhood missed my house by about 200 feet. The twister knocked down about fifty 100-year-old Oak trees in the subdivision. There was no major damage to any houses in the neighborhood. Of course I have no power and the damage is so wide spread the power company says it could take 1-2 weeks to restore power. Mother nature was kind to me, however about 35 miles away in Warsaw Indiana the Corporate Office of Da-Lite Screen were badly damaged and several people at Da-Lite were injured.

Now for the HT related part. I bought a 4500 watt generator tonight because I did want to deal with no lights and heat for 2 weeks but being the HT nut that I am, is it safe to run my BG-800 and audio gear off the generator or am I stuck watching a 27" Set (tears, tears!) for the next couple of weeks?

Mike

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
You could probably do it, but I wouldn't risk it.

even 'true sine wave' and 'regulated' generators are iffy at best.

One of the local sound contractors used to do an air show sound system with portable generators and would use super high quality Crown amps for the speakers.

They'd blow one amp up every year without fail, always powered by a generator.

Too bad to hear about Da-Lite, but let me get this straight:

You're without power, but you bought a generator just to be on line and be on the forum?

Now _THAT's_ dedication!:D

Curt

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mike,

Glad to hear your ok. After living through many tornados in

Oklahoma I know what its like.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
BUMMER!

Thank God nobody was killed.

I am a real tree lover so losing the big oaks is pretty bad too.

All the money in the world can't replace them.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme

[B... but let me get this straight:

You're without power, but you bought a generator just to be on line and be on the forum?

Now _THAT's_ dedication!:D

Curt [/b]
ROFL.. tell me about it :D MikeEby should have a UPS inline too. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll second what Curt said. I work in the music business and we use generators constantly...from powering lighting and vid (when a venue isnt set up for enough power....to our tour buses. 4500watts is a very small generator. The smallest generators we run are in the buses. They are 22 kilowatt diesel gen's with turbos. The turbos have somewhat decreased the power surges...but they are still present. They are looped through a series of 8 batteries and controlled by a unit called a Trace that regulates power. Even with all that we still fry electronics, though infrequently. I would stick to the 27" :)) But at least you have the gen to power the fridge :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like I will should stick with 27" till power returns.

Curt: funny you should said Crown they are made about 5 miles from where I live. My brother is a professional photographer and he shoots some of their promo material. One time they forgot they gave him a power amp for quite some time I offered to store it for him :) they finally realized they left it with him so it went back. :(

Ross: The fridge, furnace blower and a few light are the only think I will use for now. So it looks like Final Fantasy will have to wait :(

Mark: Sadly I found there was one person killed by the storm in Laporte, Indiana about 30 miles from me.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Just a quick note regarding Da Lite.

There is a note on their site saying that they are back fully operational and no one suffered any serious injuries.

Nothing can replace the life of the person who was killed, but let's just be thankful that it wasn't any worse.

Mike:

Glad to hear you're OK! For buying a generator to get back on line at AVS must put you in line for most dedicated AVS member award for 2001;)

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I guess the damage at Da-Lite was not as bad as first reported. I got my power back on Friday. I was very surprised it was so quick because the neighborhood was a mess. The power company did a great job taking care of us.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.