AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a compact receiver for my living room. I've narrowed it down to the TEAC DR-H338i (which integrates a DVD player) and AG-H380 (a straight receiver). The DVD model is $50 more ($450 vs $400). [I'll try to post links below.]

I don't need the DVD/CD player feature of the H338i or the iPod feature of either. What I'm more concerned about is sound quality. I plan to drive a pair of Bose 301 series III speakers.

The H380 outputs 40w/ch @ 6 ohms (6 ohm min). The H338i outputs 50w/ch @ 4 ohms (4 ohm min), and it advertises a toroidal power supply.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in my understanding that, at 8 ohms (the impedance of the Bose speakers), the H380 will output more power? Does the H338i's 4-ohm min rating mean that it can handle more power overall?

2. Would you expect the toroidal power supply in the H338i make a difference performance-wise, all other things being equal? (Might the H380 even have one without advertising it?)

3. Any first-hand opinions on these two models?

Thanks,

Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.