AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don is trying to design a next gen cinemascope torus for the home, normally he built an outboard vaccum unit. The problem is Stewart at this point is manufacturing 17,000 screens a year and he is a bit pressed for time.

In order to make the unit less complex I told him to do what you guys did, to build the fans right into the plenum box.

For that the fan must be ultraquiet and he added that it must be BRUSHLESS;

Do any of you have a part number for such a fan?

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is fascinating, I didn't know that people were making torus screens using live vacuam. I would assume that the material is something like mylar? How would you achieve even stretch/curvature, as I would imagine that near the edges and even more, the corners will have more tension and would cause the center of the torus to bowl, or colapse at a greater rate. I thought about building a reflecting mirror for a diferant application at one time that could be focused by a variable vacuam but I dropped the idea for this reason. For the fan, I would assume that you would want a speed control on it? Assuming the you are intending to install the fan directly into the screen, you could manufacture a noise dampening system that would remove any noise that may be left after selecting the quietest unit.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Id most likely have to get a second mortgage on my house to afford a Stewart torus screen.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Actually I run a 120mm, 12V fan in mine with a wall bug that is set to 6VDC. It just doesn't take much to pull the material on. I purchased mine at RS year ago and because it runs so slow, it doesn't make much noise.

My suggestion would be to look at some fan's (like SilenX or other silent brands) that are 80mm or 120mm and can run at 6V.

Terry

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I'm scratching my head as to why in the world Stewart would be doing this rather than a hard shell torus, and had no idea they ever did this before.

What material they are planning to use? I guess it won't be an Ultra High Gain, so still no competition for Mocom which I believe is the only hard shell true high gain torus manufacturer left.

Why no a hard shell true ultra high gain screen? Using a fan/suction and lower gain material in a torus is a diy compromise type solution, not a professional solution for a company that doesn't even sell lower end priced items to begin with. It makes no sense to me, am I missing something?

But... If they have an ultra high gain material up their sleeve and plans to offer an affordable torus where do I sign up? I'll be a beta tester.
However I would still prefer a hard shell over a material unless there is absolutely no way to offer an affordable hard shell.

Is it a sin or something to use the name Stewart and affordable in the same sentence? I'm really confused. Is this really Stewart Filmscreens we are talking about?

Troy

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/0

Don is trying to design a next gen cinemascope torus for the home, normally he built an outboard vaccum unit. The problem is Stewart at this point is manufacturing 17,000 screens a year and he is a bit pressed for time.

In order to make the unit less complex I told him to do what you guys did, to build the fans right into the plenum box.

For that the fan must be ultraquiet and he added that it must be BRUSHLESS;

Do any of you have a part number for such a fan?

Hi,

does that mean the Ultramatte 300 will come back for torus applications ?

Oliver

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax /forum/post/0

Agreed. If you have manufacturing capability, why would you build a screen like this?

Because every TORUS screen they build is tailored to the room in which it's going in with 3 distinct signature curves the sides and different top and bottoms. It is a physical impossibility to mold a different one every time.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf /forum/post/0

Actually I run a 120mm, 12V fan in mine with a wall bug that is set to 6VDC. It just doesn't take much to pull the material on. I purchased mine at RS year ago and because it runs so slow, it doesn't make much noise.

My suggestion would be to look at some fan's (like SilenX or other silent brands) that are 80mm or 120mm and can run at 6V.

Terry

Thanks Terry!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/0

Because every TORUS screen they build is tailored to the room in which it's going in with 3 distinct signature curves the sides and different top and bottoms. It is a physical impossibility to mold a different one every time.

And then add crating and shipping costs.

Potential customers would have to figure out if installation was feasible considering hallways and stairs leading to the HT.

I'm using a projector simply because it's the smallest device with the biggest image.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.