AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Strange, even my old Panasonic plasma can detect and deinterlace film. As do another 2 displays I have in my house (Sony Ruby, Eizo 24" LCD)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange study of philosophy, do you live on in ignorance (and potentially bliss) or do you lead what Aristotle called 'the examined life'...do you take the red pill or the blue pill, obviously you take the blue.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
OK, in the mean time I will continue to enjoy perfect 1080p with no 3:2 judder, with both my HD-DVD players and my PS3 set to output 1080i.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding the EP30......Quote from another post: I am concerned that the 1080p60 output of this unit is now revealed to have the same problematic issues as the HD-A20. The HD-A35, HD-A30, and HD-A20 are failing to display full resolution at 1080p60: the core of the problem appears to be poor/incorrect inverse telecine. 1080i60 and 1080p24 seem unaffected. This is evidenced by the below posts:

The following playback modes are affected:

SD DVD Upscale - 720p, 1080p60, 1080p24

*Poor/incorrect inverse telecine of DVD's 480i60 affects final output of all progressive modes here. The only upscaled output that retains full resolution for upscaled SD DVD is 1080i as it remains interlaced and is not run through the problematic IVTC.

HD DVD - 1080p60

*Poor/incorrect inverse telecine of the 1080i60 signal results in loss of resolution with HD DVD at 1080p60.

Is it possible for the 1080p60 deinterlaced output & inverse telecine of this unit to be corrected, or will this unit be stuck with fudged 1080p60 output and poor inverse telecine?

A VERY SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We all know about the 1080p/60 issues with the players.

Luckily 1080i/60 works perfectly.

And if your using a 1080p HDTV for your display, its going to look the exact same.

So there is no need to worry.

And if you do continue to worry, sell it and get the HD-XA2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you mike171979, that's all i wanted to know, can i enjoy the same picture quality as i do with my Sony 32" 1080i hdtv if or when i switched to a 1080p hdtv.

Basically the CNET review had me worried, but all i wanted to know is would the picture be as good on a full 1080p hdtv, so basically use the 1080i mode and all is well?

But would i be missing out on the true HD tv experience?....anyway if i can get the same picture quality on a full 1080p hdtv as i do with my 1080i set then i'm happy.

And not all of us know the truth about the 1080/60 issues with the players, that was the reason for my post, i'm a HD newbie and because of the lost format war it was a cheap way for me to experience HD movies for the first time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not sure with all the editing that you got your answer, but let me chime in here and assume that EP-30 is equal to the A30. I've been aware of the 1080p/60 problem although I don't see it myself or can't recognize it, whatever.

The common thought is that you set to the 1080i/60 and let your display deinterlace the signal. Since the native display is 1080p, the set will display that no matter the input signal. So most of us, that's what we do...1080i and let the display interlace it.

I think that's what you're looking for...it is said that only the best eye and maybe even test equipment is required to see the difference in i/p, anyway. I would say that you're not losing any of the experience between i/p.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Vince2909, that is basically all i wanted to know, i became concerned after i tried my first hd dvd in it, planet earth, which frooze and wouldn't play.

This and the US CNET review was what started my concern, i updated my firmware and it played fine, though picture quality wise not as good as my xbox hd add on player, very grainy.

I didn't know of the problems that the Toshiba HD players had and i wanted to replace my xbox hd player ,because of the noise it makes, with a stand alone hd player that could do a reasonable job of upscaling.

With all my hd collection at stake i just wanted to be sure i had a decent reliable player, and i can purchase another one for a backup for £78 but Toshiba told me they will be stocking spares for six years, do you think i should buy another one for a back up or are they generally reliable and cheap to repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts