AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to watch 4x3 analog,digital480i in the just stretch mode with no black bars using the Tosh Stb? This would be for the 40h80. If possible does this mean no up conversion? Thanks for input.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The set line doubles analog automatically. The STB passes SD upconverted over component and doubles like analog 480i sources. Some folks prefer analog & SD sources over S-Video. The STB stretch modes are similar to the set in non-HD, but I prefer the sets. This is a great combo no mater how you display it.

To the basic question, you can stretch 4:3 sources in the STB or the set (depending on output).

Tim

Tim

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you use the s-video connections the stretch modes can be controlled with the tv. Its too bad the upconversion cant be stopped. This just brings artifacts and a soft picture into the set. I have read that 480i digital without upconversion is quality picture.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Recognize that with a standard definition picture (even delivered digitally) it is being line doubled which is different than upconversion (multiplying or tranforming pixels to meet a native digital display rate).

On any large screen (even 40") you want line doubling of NTSC sources or you will literally see lines. Now there are subjectively adequate built in line doublers or seperately costed doublers/scalers used externally. Unless you have a smaller set you do definitely want doubling at a minimum.

While upconversion of digital sources can exhibit softening and artifacts, many don't find it objetionable (I don't) as it eases leaving the set in the same display mode and to me doesn't harm a low resolution source, which is pretty bad comparitively to begin with depending on sat compression levels or other issues. Taking for example an OTA 480p digital TV source and upconverting will still have great color uniformity and clarity, but it's still not HD.

Garbage in, garbage out. Line doubling garbage still gives you garbage. Not line doubling gives you garbage with visible lines on larger sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.