AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If it uses a Samsung panel, it is. One way to find out is to call or visit ABT and ask. (Calling Toshiba is useless as they will tell you that everything Toshiba sells Toshiba makes). I was told that the 52-inch Toshiba models are based on the Samsung/Sony panels, whereas the 42-inch sets are not. Check it out to be sure. I do not work for or have any connection with ABT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got one about 3 weeks ago and it's great. It's in my bedroom andI'm at about 8-9 ft from it. It was either that or the Samsung 750 52".
I couldn't justify more than double the cost for 10" and 120 Hz. I got it at BB with the 12% off coupon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninMod /forum/post/14221129

I got one about 3 weeks ago and it's great. It's in my bedroom andI'm at about 8-9 ft from it. It was either that or the Samsung 750 52".
I couldn't justify more than double the cost for 10" and 120 Hz. I got it at BB with the 12% off coupon.

thanks....may i ask what the final price was?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior /forum/post/14222127

I'd rather pay a little more for a quality HDTV

the cnet reviews and others i have looked at are really good...and claim it is a quality tv...

which ones do you suggest? and why?

thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14222204

the cnet reviews and others i have looked at are really good...and claim it is a quality tv...

I'm surprized you haven't read all the issues Toshiba LCDs have with lasting long after you buy it = Quality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14222204

which ones do you suggest? and why?

thanks

Well, are you set on a 42"? Price is also a factor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior /forum/post/14222223

I'm surprized you haven't read all the issues Toshiba LCDs have with lasting long after you buy it = Quality issues.

Well, are you set on a 42"? Price is also a factor.

warrior:

1) no, I haven't read about the longetivity issues...thats news to me....where are they written?

2) I am not set on a 42", but it seems noticeably bigger than a 40" side by side.....

I am considering a 46 size too....but it may be too big for the room....

as for price, I wanna max out at $1,500 I think.....

any suggestions??

making a decission is frustrating.....

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14222287

warrior:

1) no, I haven't read about the longetivity issues...thats news to me....where are they written?

Many people here... You would have to read through a lot of posts though.

Quote:

2) I am not set on a 42", but it seems noticeably bigger than a 40" side by side.....

I am considering a 46 size too....but it may be too big for the room....

Viewing Distance?

Quote:

as for price, I wanna max out at $1,500 I think.....

any suggestions??

making a decission is frustrating.....

Yeah I know, but for $1500 or less... You can't go wrong with the Samsung 46A550 = Serch online for price & Free Shipping... Only a trusted site that starts with an "A" & goes with the South American Jungle

Also buy with an American Express (Call them to make sure) that you get an extra year warranty on top of the 1-year manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
warrior....viewing distance is around 10 to 12 feet....

i will look into the samsung you spoke of.....

unfortunately I am in western canada and we dont have the deals and conveniences as you US guys do....thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also read that many people had issues with Toshiba TVs after a couple of months...seems Toshiba has quality problems...

I had Toshiba electronics in the past... it didn't last very long...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsilent /forum/post/14222431

I also read that many people had issues with Toshiba TVs after a couple of months...seems Toshiba has quality problems...

I had Toshiba electronics in the past... it didn't last very long...

thanks....darn this choosing a tv is tuff!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14222453

thanks....darn this choosing a tv is tuff!!

Not really. Actually, it's very simple: Toshiba doesn't last, Sony has sparkles, LG's contrast is subpar, the third tier is for the Walmart crowds. That leaves Samsung. If you can't stand the reflective screen, wait till August for the 630 series. If the rumors are true, these will be the best LCDs ever.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/14223045

Not really. Actually, it's very simple: Toshiba doesn't last, Sony has sparkles, LG's contrast is subpar, the third tier is for the Walmart crowds. That leaves Samsung. If you can't stand the reflective screen, wait till August for the 630 series. If the rumors are true, these will be the best LCDs ever.

Actually, these are simply some peoples perceptions and may well not be correct. The newer LGs are very good and have good reviews and can be tuned FAR more than the Sammy's can so to me, being able to tune a set to ISF is very important. You simply can't do that with the Sammys. The Samsung's are also (usually) more expensive. The Toshiba's do NOT have durabilty issues. I've had one of the early Toshiba Plasma's for over 4 years now and NEVER had a single issue. Most reviewers state that the Cinamotion of the Toshiba's is better than the Samsungs. Only "some" Sony's have Sparkle issues...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka /forum/post/14223119

Actually, these are simply some peoples perceptions and may well not be correct. The newer LGs are very good and have good reviews and can be tuned FAR more than the Sammy's can so to me, being able to tune a set to ISF is very important. You simply can't do that with the Sammys. The Samsung's are also (usually) more expensive. The Toshiba's do NOT have durabilty issues. I've had one of the early Toshiba Plasma's for over 4 years now and NEVER had a single issue. Most reviewers state that the Cinamotion of the Toshiba's is better than the Samsungs. Only "some" Sony's have Sparkle issues...

well, I looked at sony bravia 40s4100, sammy 40a530 and tosh 42rv530 at store last night, all 3 were side by side and fed off a satelite tv receiver..according to my eyes, the toshiba had a crisper and cleaner picture than the other 2 sets...

reliability is important to me....i expect 10 yrs trouble free viewing from whatever i buy ...and of course size comes into question and i wonder if i should step up to a 46"....

and then there is the question of 720 v/s 1080 pi to further foul up my mind..

man, what a hassle this tv stuff is!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Every single manufacturer out there has their issues and quirks...Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, etc. None of them are perfect.

If you're buying a set and want to keep it for 10 years though, it may be worth kicking out a little extra. You may want to look into the Samsung 550 and 650 series and the Toshiba 550 series. They cost a little bit more, but I think they'd stand the test of time easier.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/14223484

Every single manufacturer out there has their issues and quirks...Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Sharp, etc. None of them are perfect.

If you're buying a set and want to keep it for 10 years though, it may be worth kicking out a little extra. You may want to look into the Samsung 550 and 650 series and the Toshiba 550 series. They cost a little bit more, but I think they'd stand the test of time easier.

i'm considering all options..thanx for input

1 - 20 of 35 Posts