AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While randomly surfing the net today I ran across an article discussing the Toshiba 50H81 - the same RPTV that I've had now for over a year - and they started talking about something that had me scratching my head. First, here's the paragraph in particular that started everything, then I'll follow up with my question(s):

"While standard component inputs only accept 480i signals, ColorStream HD inputs accept 480i, 480p, 720p (integrated models), and 1080i signals. For the ultimate in flexibility, Toshiba has included two sets of ColorStream HD inputs so that you can connect two high-resolution sources, such as a 480p progressive scan DVD player and an optional 1080i HDTV Set-Top Box. Because the signal from a DVD player is different from an HDTV Set-Top Box signal, we have also added the new ColorStream Optimizer. This simple on-screen control allows you to choose the DVD or DTV setting for each set of ColorStream HD inputs. This ensures the perfect black level setting (0 or 7.5 IRE), and the correct colorometry, for the best possible picture quality. The result is higher resolution and greater color purity for the ultimate in picture quality."

OK, so that's what the article stated, so here's what I'm now wondering. Having had about 14 months to get to know my 50H81 and integrating it with my HT system, this one paragraph has me thinking maybe I'm missing something here. The Tosh has two ColorStream high-bandwidth component video inputs. Feeding them are my progressive scan DVD player and my Zenith HD-SAT520 STB. The paragraph above mentions something about being able to select between the DTV and DVD settings of the ColorStream Optimizer for each of the ColorStream HD inputs. Well, I've never seen this option available on any of the "simple, on-screen menus" they mention. I've fiddled with the settings enough that I would have seen this at one time or another along the way, but I must be missing something.

Does anybody out there, Toshiba 50H81 owners in particular, know what they are talking about here and how exactly I can find this optional setting. In the article, their example uses the ColorStream HD inputs exactly as I have done with my setup, however this elusive DTV/DVD setting has yet to rear its head. Anybody got any ideas, or am I just reading this article wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I believe it is in the settings for labeling the inputs. I haven't done this since I have received my HDTV STB so this is a pretty good reminder. I believe it is in the setup book also.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think the guy who wrote the article doesn't know what he is talking about. I have never seen or heard of a Colorstream "Optimizer", and I have been a sales rep for a Toshiba authorized distributor for over three years.

I went on line and looked at the manual. It says specifically that the HD1 and HD2 inputs are identical and can be used for any component source. There is nothing about an optimizer or settings. He may be referring to the film\\video mode in the setup menu, or he may be on drugs. Hard to say.

I don't think you missed anything that you didn't want to miss.

Mike K.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The DTV DVD setting selection is on the menu for my TW56X81 but not on my 42H82.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 43H81, and my response is a great big, "HUH?"

I think I'd worry about a whole lot of other things before dedicating any part of my neural network to this.

Jan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.