Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will be configuring my HTPC's resolution tonight and connecting. I could not seem to find any "clear" information as to what resolution I should use with my new Toshiba 57HX81. I would assume that I could use 540p. I would like to use 720p however I do not "think" is is properly supported with my set. Any suggestions for best possible output on this set. Perhaps someone has exact settings for this. I do have PowerStrip 3.0 installed and can fiddle. Can the Radeon (64mb DDR model) do what I want via powerstrip. I am asking simlpy because I am afraid to experiment and blow-up a brand new RPTV...

Can someone help me out on this?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a similar RPTV the 61h80. 720p is not supported on any of the Toshiba HDTV sets. But 540p works Great for me and forces the set to enable Vertical Squeeze.

I would not worry about your set as long as you stay with the correct timings and test the settings on your monitor first. I had no problems getting them to work. I had a few times my RPTV did not like the timings I used but with some tweaking I got it working. Use the Custom Resolutions and timings guide to help you out.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/004997.html

The Radeon card will support custom timings and should work fine for you. Watch which version of the drivers you use some do not work at all with custom timings.

-Matt Sanderson

·
Registered
42 Posts
gminich -- If I get time I'll send you some of the Powerstrip timings I'm using on my Toshiba.. Really, I've got almost the exact setup as you, amd 850 running Radeon 32DDR out to AA transcoder to my new 57HX81 !!!

Very nice... Anyway, I'll try and do this tonight for yeah, since I'm betting your going to be wanting to play!!?!?!?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Teebes, thanks for the offer of the powerstrip timings! I was just about to connect my HTPC to the Tosh and then BANG! I forgot to bring the VGA cable for my Key Digital trans home today! Oh well, stuff happens. Suppose I will have to wait until tomorrow. BUMMER!

Thanks again

George

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
So how will the picture look with an HTPC hooked up to a Toshiba versus a regular DVD player? What are the major benefits?

Brian

·
Registered
79 Posts
The main reason that I use an HTPC as my DVD player is for the custom resolutions from PowerStrip. My 61h80 only supports Vertical Compression 16:9 Mode if the TV recieves an HDTV signal. 540p is a 1080 timing and the TV will kick in the vertical shrink. It is kind of cool being able to watch a DVD in an HDTV resolution and see how the image looks from the standard 720x480.

Also progressive scanning and de-interlacing on the HTPC looks better than the internal TV Scaler. Along with more lines of resolution and more tweaking ability of the picture, HTPC is a perfect alternative or upgrade to a stand alone DVD player.

As the software gets better the quality of HTPC will be harder to match from any standalone device.

-Matt Sanderson

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, DVD quality for me is unbelievable.. Now, I wasn't comparing apples to apples, but, I don't have access to a nice progressive dvd player right now either. At first, when I got my TV, I hooked up a PS2 through component, an it looked ok, nothing special. Next, I started playing with my HTPC and getting the timings going. First I tried basic 960x540p, and it looked good, but there was some overscan and stuff was chopped off. I next tried a timing from karnis (digitalconnection site, I'll check the link, I use a lot of his timings), like 856x484 (something weird that uses the 540p settings) and the picture is outstanding!! Desktop is perfect on the screen all around, and DVD quality is even better. The detail in the movies have been unbeliable!!

I've gotten 1920x1080i to show up on the TV, but I'm having that problem with dvd's where it only shows the top 2/3's of the movie. I believe this is a driver issue with the radeon cards, but have heard using dvdGenie can fix the problem..

So again, hopefully tonight (after the bluejackets game ;) I'll get the timings posted and try dvdGenie for the 1080i (my main goal in life right now :D

I'll keep ya guys updated..

UPDATE:// Here's the site I mentione earlier, has most of the timings I've been trying. For those with a redeon, there are specific timings..Those with a GeForce, there are specific ones for it as well.. Good luck, and let me know how it goes..
Custom Timings for Radeon + Geforce cards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Teebes,

I have fired up the HTPC in 856x484p and the picture quality is stunning! There is one minor glitch however. The width of the screen is about 1/4 inch to narrow. I have centred it with my Key Digital transcoder, however the 2 thin vertical lines on the sides of image are driving me nuts. Can I correct this without going into great detail? I have read the instructions regarding the correction of this problem but I do not want to attempt messing about if there is an eaiser fix. BTW.The vertical size is perfect.

What other resulutions give you a perfect DVD image with a decent desktop?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm, not sure. I'm not sure if I remember seeing any side bars. Are you talking about the desktop or watching movies??

I think I may remember seeing some small lines on the desktop , and we should be able to fix that, by increasing the resolution slightly. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie at powerstrip as well, so we can learn together!?!?! ;)

As for other resolutions, I finally got 1704x960i working good (as with 1776x1000i , but it's off slightly) and figured out how to fix the problem with watching dvd's (thanks to others here on the forum). After you have switched to the interlaced resolution, create a custom hotkey for the refresh desktop. THen once you start playing your dvd, and is fullscreen, hit your hotkey and it will kick it to fullscreen. I'm not sure why this is (maybe drivers, I'm using 7093's right now, but it works and makes me all nice and warm inside ;) )

So, good luck, and have fun...but don't breask anything ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a long dry spell without the HTPC, I finally got the system reconfigured. Teebes, have you figured out powerstrip or can you provide me with your timings so that I can jump back into things. I am going to have to work out the problem that I had before with the horizontal image not quite fitting. As I remember, if we change the horizonal resolution, we have to adjust timings. Is this correct.

Thanks and glad to be back

George

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
greetings from etobicoke

i have the tosh 65h80 using the keydigital and powerstip. i use 920x500 for my day to day browsing and 960x540 for dvds. i just got the rad 8500dv which i traded up from the aiw 32, picture quality is about the same. i also have the sd5109 progscan which i use mostly unless i want to show off the pq of the htpc to my freinds cause getting 5.1 is such a hassel on the creative 5.1 card and i have several dvd audio and dts discs.

goodluck and have fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.